Russian colonization?

SavioursSamurai

Chieftain
Okay, I've got a cool idea. Perhaps create a "Siberia access" resource somewhere along the eastern fringe of Russian territory, and allow Russia to build a "Siberian conquest" colonial project. I'm thinking it could provide furs, gold, and gems. Upon completion, provides "East Asia access," which allows Russia to do the East Asian trade projects (they did do trade with East Asia, though they started later), and also allows them to build an "Alaska" project, which would give them fur and maybe ivory. Even with these projects, the UHV would still work, because that's focused on the Atlantic/Constantinople, not the eastern expansion.

Don't think it's a good idea. It's historical, but Russia is already powerful as it is

I haven't been able to find the threads where it is mentioned, but I did consider that it might make Russia overpowered.

As much as Siberian colonization would be cool, Russia is already pretty powerful in the mod as is. Just trying to take all of their historical territory in the timescale of the mod brings them extremely close to the domination victory thresholds, which is saying something. And in games where you actually play to the late game they usually have huge SODs everywhere since they have so many cities.

As much as Siberian colonization would be cool, Russia is already pretty powerful in the mod as is. Just trying to take all of their historical territory in the timescale of the mod brings them extremely close to the domination victory thresholds, which is saying something. And in games where you actually play to the late game they usually have huge SODs everywhere since they have so many cities.

Yeah, I love playing Russia, because you are relatively undisturbed, and have a massive amount of cities. Only the Mongols, Kalmyks, and Lithuanians usually pose a challenge. Perhaps make one of the UHV's harder? I don't know how that would be done, though.

I think it should be working this way: Idel-Ural project can be built by civ which controls the highest number of eastern edge tiles north of Black Sea and has Public Works tech. And so on: Ob basin project reqs Idel-Ural project, Yenisei basin project reqs Ob basin project, Lena basin project reqs Yenisei basin project. It would be fair to name them after river basins, because colonization of Siberia attempted mainly by river sailing.

If we are toying with the idea:
UHV3: Complete the colonization/conquest of Siberia by a fix deadline.
Made up of 6-7 steps, each based on the previous one, like proposed in the last post.
Each step of colonization also need increasing amount of cities, and has a very heavy cost in hammers.
1st with 10 cities, then +3 for each level. So you really need a continually expanding empire if you want to complete it in time
Maybe each level has to be built in a different city?
Even better, if each city can contribute to the project... altough that may be very difficult to code

Still not sure, maybe still don't sound that much fun.
Too little interaction with other civs. On the other hand, not all other UHVs have that much interaction anyway

If we are toying with the idea:
UHV3: Complete the colonization/conquest of Siberia by a fix deadline.
Made up of 6-7 steps, each based on the previous one, like proposed in the last post.
Each step of colonization also need increasing amount of cities, and has a very heavy cost in hammers.
1st with 10 cities, then +3 for each level. So you really need a continually expanding empire if you want to complete it in time
Maybe each level has to be built in a different city?
Even better, if each city can contribute to the project... altough that may be very difficult to code

Still not sure, maybe still don't sound that much fun.
Too little interaction with other civs. On the other hand, not all other UHVs have that much interaction anyway

Cool! I agree with almost all of it! And as I see it now, to build Idel-Ural civ should be the only one to control Volga-Vyatka edge. But yes, if only Muscovites and Novgorodians will have an interest here it would be boring and not challenging. And maybe I was wrong about Ottomans' historical possibilities in this context. But as you agreed, "Golden Horde Reunion" goal of Crimean Khanate would be nice. Maybe this Siberian thing completely could worth it if Crimean civ would be presented in this mod.

The point is no one in Europe would ever compete with Russia for those colonies, whether in game or in real life, for obvious reasons. :)

That probably won't provide much variation or fun.

The point is no one in Europe would ever compete with Russia for those colonies, whether in game or in real life, for obvious reasons. :)

That probably won't provide much variation or fun.

That's true, but then again no one competes with Norway for Vinland. The challenge would be balancing the need to build those colonies with the need to meet other goals including the territory and warm seas goals.

As long as the Siberian colonies are included alongside other challenges, I don't see a major problem with them being largely only for Russia. Also if you put "Siberia access" resources on the Don and Volga rivers then it can also be an option (albeit ahistorical) for a human Ottoman, Kiev or Novgorod player, and maybe future Crimean Khanate.

Also if you put "Siberia access" resources on the Don and Volga rivers then it can also be an option (albeit ahistorical) for a human Ottoman, Kiev or Novgorod player, and maybe future Crimean Khanate.
Unlike maritime ones, continental colonies require far more continuity, hugeness and integrity. It should be acquired through a little harder way and make Muskovian, Novgorodian and may be Crimean goals more challenging. That's why "Siberian access" (Atlantic access alike) idea seems too illogical for me. And that's why I think "siberian colony civ" should be the only one to have cities in the Volga-Vyatka edge area, even barbs and indies shouldn't be allowed by this civ. Furthermore, if other civ or barbs or indies acquire a city anywhere in the Volga-Vyatka edge while any siberian colony is being built, this building process should be temporarily stopped.

Top Bottom