S-03 Hackers

sooooo

Emperor
We have captured this guy: and forced him to tell us the secrets of his "bunch of tubes". Now our people sit in their bedrooms all day, stealing the secrets of our rivals. We're too lazy to do our own research. So let's crack open a beer and do some hacking!

Settings

Version: Warlords Civ 1.61
Difficulty: Deity
Map: TBD (probably panagea)
Civ: TBD
Speed: Epic
No Tech Trading

The Variant

(1) Our science slider will sit permenantly at 0%.
(2) We cannnot use great people to lighbulb techs.
(3) We will build The Internet on our second turn. Credit for how to do this goes to Blake from Realms Beyond. We won't need to access the worldbuilder or use a mod.

The Roster

At the moment, I'm reserving the roster for the six that played the previous two games in the series: Blid, mike p, Kikinit, Asperge, Cosmichail and myself. If any of these people cannot play then Ruff Hi is next in line (and the alternate).

Please sign in and give your preferred leader/map type. Financial and Organized are fairly useless, and philosophical isn't great either. So far I'm thinking Churchill, Cyrus, Brennus, Mao or Washington. When considering map type, remember that The Internet only works for civs we know of.

sooooo, I'll watch this from the sidelines. I only want to play 2 SG's at a time at the moment and with KK05 about to kick off and the SGOTM I'm there already.

I'll watch this with interest though to see how the heck you are going to get the internet. Start in the modern age?

OK. Sounds like Cyrus, Churchill or Washington would all be nice and give us a chance to try Charismatic.

Tokugawu might also be a good choice, since all gunpowder units start with 3 promotions (Combat 1, Drill 1, and City Garrison 1). I'm assuming if we get the Internet right away, we'll have gunpowder fairly quickly too.

It's an ancient era start. You modify the XML (put it in custom-assets) to make the internet cost 1 hammer and require no techs. Then build it on your first turn instead of starting a warrior or whatever. Then if you save the game and delete the modified XML you will still have the internet.

Does the internet keep on giving you your rivals techs throughout? I thought it just caught you up once.

Hi Soooooo - thx for the invite. I am available but don't have warlords - but I was looking for an excuse to buy it.

So, what happens if an AI decides it wants to build the Internet and beats you to it?

@Kikinit: OK, happy lurking :)

Hmm, I've just remembered that Cosmichail (and maybe Ruff_Hi) doesn't have warlords yet. Maybe we should just do this on Vanilla civ - especially as we're still learning Warlords and a deity game might be a bit soon :) In that case I guess Isabella or Kublai would be a good leader.

Edit: Cross-Posted with Ruff_Hi.

If the AI wants to build it then we win because the human always gets the wonder when a human and AI build it on the same turn.

Thanks for me keeping me in the loop Sooooo unfortunately I don't have warlords yet and can't play. I am sure you guys will go through this like usual and good luck on playing deity. Will be lurking though.

Sure I'll play vanilla Sooooo. I like Kublai but doesn't matter I'll go with team consensus.

sooooo said:
If the AI wants to build it then we win because the human always gets the wonder when a human and AI build it on the same turn.
That is news to me and very good to know. I remember Civ II (or was it III) where you could store hammers in carivans and then add them back to wonders. For some reason, the wonder order was based on the civilization and the Russians (IIRC) were first. Finally, you got a message that "so and so" was about to finish a wonder, and you could use your carivans to steal the wonder from him (if you were russian!).

Edit: I have no preference for leader but would suggest a non-financial leader. Also, what are we going to do with all of our gold or are we going to run the culture slide on the high side?

Signing in,
I like Izzy combo. Bis would be nice too to get a hold on some wonders in peaceful times

i'm in. hope you will recognise me since my name has changed in a way i always wanted :) (Asperge without 'r' was a silly mistake, and i thought it couldn't be changed)

I prefer Highlands for a change (or continents), and i guess we will have to do a lot of warring so let's take aggressive, and cause we will not found a religion and not build libraries, let's become creative so i prefer that mongol guy....Kublai Khan.

And another question / comment - when we have killed off :)lol:) all but 1 AI, we will have killed off our tech gathering mechanism - can we research then?

Actually, I'm thinking we might want Cyrus if we're using vanilla Civ. As pointed out above, we won't found a religion or need libraries so Creative will probably be pretty useful.

Also, since the science slider is going to be at zero, we can ramp up the culture for happiness. Big happy cities could really benefit from being Expansive.

Edited to add:

On second though, if we are going to use the culture slider for happiness, we won't need Creative once we unlock the slider with Drama. Commerce will get the borders popped.

Expansive will probably still be a good choice, so perhaps we should consider Bismark, Isabella, or Genghis, as their other traits aren't weakened by this variant. I agree that Financial, Philosophical, and Organized have all been nerfed for this game.

I don't think the industrious trait will be great for us cause we can't research to techs wich offers the wonders we want to build. There will always be two other guys who will build that wonder very fast. I prefer to conquer them.

Are we allowed to get representation or free religion ???

Expansive, creative or (first) aggressive are OK to me > Ghenghis, Kublai or Cyrus. i prefer mongol.

Are we forgetting spiritual? Having zero turns lost when we swap civics could be huge - we are already behind the hammer production of the AIs so missing turns in anarchy just puts us further behind.

Spiritual + Aggressive is ... Monty. That is good as it will also remove an idiot (as in 'look, there is a civ that I feel like attacking ... actually, it doesn't matter if I feel like it or not ... "Monty declares war!") from the AI side of things.

I thought about Monty too but since S-01 was done with the aztecs, I changed my mind.
As for wonders, we can start building one the same turn the second AI knows the tech. With the 50% discount, we will have very good odds. The AI don't get bonuses on world wonders on higher levels. We may be better off building units though. If I had to vote, I would say Izzy first but any civ would be fine

Top Bottom