S-03 Hackers

ruff_hi said:
Are we forgetting spiritual? Having zero turns lost when we swap civics could be huge - we are already behind the hammer production of the AIs so missing turns in anarchy just puts us further behind.

if you accept that gold isn't important in this game, than the spiritual trait is less important.

I also would like Monty as opponent, just to make the game more exciting. I suggest sooooo will do this with custom game. I'm having big trouble with him in a current solo emperor game, i would like to learn how to handle him:)

Asperger I like you new look cool. I find that expansive helps a lot with the health but that's on monarch/emperor. I have never played deity so will "tread carefully". I like the creative trait for getting those borders popped but the aggressive is helpful for warmongering. Considering it's deity probably need to warmonger a lot so I still like Kublai with creative/aggressive or Genghis with aggressive/expansive. (not crazy about the UU though)

Well I think the best leader would be Monty - but he's out because we've played him.

I think expansive is fairly weak for a warmongers game. Cities are usually small due to WW, whipping and drafting, and they usually have plenty of health resources from having a large empire. Ironically, expansive is best for an OCC.

So I'm going to go with Kublai. I take Mike's point about the culture slider, but by Drama creative has lost its power anyway. Creative is all about the early game saving your civ from having to build obelisks and getting that second ring of resources hooked up quickly.

I'm going to create a start in the morning. We've got to settle on the 1st turn or we could miss out on the internet.

Let's go! Al Gore is locked in a cage right next to me. I order him to get to work with the reward of chocolate chip cookies for every tech he discovers for us.

We're Kublai Khan. In the end I went for a standard panagea map. Random climate, shoreline, sea level.

We generate this start:

Not much grassland but some nice resources.

I settle on the spot (a plains hill). Let's see what we can build:

Hmm, a scout. That could sure be useful! Oh look a barracks, let's build one of those!

:scan:

Waitasec, The Internet sure looks a bargain. I think I'm going to build that actually.

Al Gore boots up and is ready to load windows. Science to 0%.

Next we start a warrior. Barbs on deity are No Joke. The hut gave us gold.

On our third turn (!) we meet HC. Why is HC always my nearest neighbour? Not that I'm complaining, I like the fact he's the only civ that builds warriors above Monarch.

It's turn 5. Welcome to deity:

Our warrior completes and I start a second. A scout kills a wolf.

Years pass, our scout heals and kills another wolf. I promote him to W1. Another hut gave us gold. On turn 15 we meet our second AI: Roosevelt.

Al Gore finally works out how to load Telnet and guesses HC's and FDR's passwords. Apparently they were "quechua" and "iluvamerica". He earns 2 cookies:

A few turns later Al does his buisiness again:

Once the second warrior completed I put 2 turns into an archer, then swapped to a worker at size 2.

Here are our lands after 20 turns:

Our scout will probably die next turn due to a barb archer - sorry about that.

Roster (in order of sign ups):

sooooo - Just played
mike p - UP for 20 turns
ruff_hi - On Deck (20 turns)
Cosmichail - 15 turns from here onwards
blid
Asperger

Alternate: Al Gore

I don't think we'll have much money. We won't focus on cottages, and with the high maintenence and unit upkeep costs at this difficulty level I think we'll be struggling for cash.

sooooo said:
Our scout will probably die next turn due to a barb archer - sorry about that.

The barbarcher is wounded, our scout has more than 50% chance to survive:)

here a first try of city planning:

Attachments

• Civ4Hackerscityplanning.JPG
    Civ4Hackerscityplanning.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 117
Alas, our scout is dead.

A few turns later, Al teaches us Fishing and Mysticism. He also starts to drone on about ManBearPig (He's half Man, He's half bear, and he's half pig!!), so I decide to build a boat to get away from the crazy fool. Workboat starts, worker on hold.

Hi Monty!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Hackers1.JPG

It's 3310 BC and we need a new research goal. No one's discovered Polytheism yet - maybe we could found Hinduism. It's only 253 turns away.

In 3130 BC we are beaten to Hinduism. Damn, with only 247 turns to go, I thought we might just have a chance.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Hackers2.JPG

Anyway, our warrior survives contact with the barb archer and we meet Isabella. Al chimes in with Polytheism.

3070BC Our workboat is finally done, and our worker is back in the queueueue.

2980BC I really want to steal this worker, but I'm afraid:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Hackers3.JPG

2950BC Bronze working comes in.

2830BC Pottery too.

I didn't revolt to slavery while the worker was building, figuring it less wasteful to have him in the field building stuff while we're in anarchy. Revolt to slavery should probably be the next order of business so we can whip out an archer when the barbs come.

There's a barb city directly south of our capital. I also would like it if we can settle the spot NW of the copper.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Hackers4.JPG

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/Hackers_BC-2800.Civ4SavedGame

Next time I'm not screwing around at home when I should be at work, I'm going to get hooked up with imageshack and stop doing all of these screenies as attachments. BTW, is there a thread anywhere explaining how all that works? And what are you guys using to crop and/or mark up the screenshots? There's probably something better out there for free than Windows Paint, right?

Yes, we need this copper

You can use gimp for image processing. It is free and IMO better than MS Paint. I used imageshack today for the first time and it was straight forward, upload image, click host-it then copy the link labeled as "forums images" or something alike. But honestly, I prefer using "photobucket.com" where I have an account and can find my images later, nicely organized in folders and sub-folders

Well done Mike, but it's a damn shame about hinduism. Couldn't you have told Al to google for "many gods" or something?

Ruff is up!

sooooo
mike p
ruff_hi - UP (20 turns)
Cosmichail - On Deck (15 turns from here onwards)
blid
Asperger

Alternate: Al Gore

Copper spot sounds good. Slavery this turn too as Mike suggests. Let's build lots of farms in our cities for whipping - so the river sites are a priority. Workshops aint much good for us yet.

Al Gore reporting for duty I mean Cos. (on deck)

Mike I like photobucket too.

mike p said:
Workboat starts, worker on hold.
:confused: why?, but as sooooo wisely pointed out, one who actually plays knows best:D

Glad Monty showed up, let's hope Toku is not far away ( and Cyrus offcause).

Why do you think worker is better than workboat Asperger? I normally go for the boat given the choice, as it lets the city grow at the same time. I'd like to know your thinking here - when you and I disagree you are normally correct :).

i have the save and will try and play / post today (gimp + imageshack)

Well, for what it's worth, I mm'd the tiles so that we were running max hammers and no food surplus while building the workboat. I tend to do that as it means that we get more food and more commerce more quickly. And the extra food shaved a turn off of the worker. Also once the workboat is complete you have an instant improvement, once the worker is complete, you still need to build stuff with it.

If research actually mattered this game, my way is almost certainly better, but I'll concede that building the worker and a pasture while the boat started might have been better only because we'd get the third tile improvement (camp on the 'phants) done sooner. But then again, without surplus food, that's not such a hot tile anyway. Bottom line? I don't know - maybe we should ask Al.

Well, I managed to reveal 5 more tiles. Our scouting warrior couldn't go further SW due to closed borders with Bella - I sent him north where he survived an archer attack (promoted with cover as I expect the barbs he meets will be archers and if he runs into an axe, he is dead no matter what promotion I give him). I would like him to find the other two AIs.

The worker finishes the pasture and roads to the copper - maybe camping the phants would have been better.

The archer finishes and doesn't get any promotion(?). Oh, no barracks and here we are an aggressive civ with a 50% discount on the barracks. I start a barracks while I wait for the city to hit size 3.

Size 3 comes in with a bit of tile management (auto manager now ON) and we start a settler. I also chop 1 forest on grass to open up the chain farming and turn 20 starts with a finished settler. I decide to stop there to give the team a selection of second city options.

Al dropped by to show my a very impressive chart that had a huge tail at the right hand side. It looked very worrisome. As he left, the following dropped out of his case ...

masonry
Priesthood
Meditation

Where did our warrior go ...

Don't you hate it ... he could have had Woodsman I promotion instead of cover ...
While defending, Warrior loses to: Barbarian Warrior (1.12/2) at 37.4 percent.

Finally, here is a snap shot of our known lands ... I would suggest settling ON the copper (red dot) and would leave blue dot for a future fishing village.

Spoiler log :

Turn 40 (2800 BC)

IBT:

Turn 41 (2770 BC)

IBT:

Turn 42 (2740 BC)

IBT:

Turn 43 (2710 BC)

IBT:
Tech learned: Masonry

Turn 44 (2680 BC)

IBT:
Tech learned: Priesthood
While defending, Warrior defeats (0.56/2): Barbarian Archer at 69.3 percent.

Turn 45 (2650 BC)
Warrior promoted: Cover

IBT:

Turn 46 (2620 BC)
Karakorum finishes: Archer

IBT:

Turn 47 (2590 BC)
Karakorum begins: Barracks

IBT:

Turn 48 (2560 BC)
Karakorum grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 49 (2530 BC)
Karakorum begins: Settler

IBT:
While defending, Warrior loses to: Barbarian Warrior (1.12/2) at 37.4 percent.

Turn 50 (2500 BC)

IBT:

Turn 51 (2470 BC)

IBT:

Turn 52 (2440 BC)

IBT:
Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 53 (2410 BC)

IBT:

Turn 54 (2380 BC)

IBT:
Tech learned: Meditation

Turn 55 (2350 BC)

IBT:

Turn 56 (2320 BC)

IBT:

Turn 57 (2290 BC)

IBT:

Turn 58 (2260 BC)

IBT:

Turn 59 (2230 BC)
Karakorum finishes: Settler

IBT:

Turn 60 (2200 BC)

The Modem

I hadn't considered settling on the copper, but that certainly does have some advantages. With the river we should have a trade route to the capital even without a road once we learn Sailing. But the copper hill is the only decent production tile around there and I'm not sure we want to lose it.

Then again, I'm not up for another 120 turns or so, so it'll be moot anyway by the time I play again!

sooooo said:
I normally go for the boat given the choice, as it lets the city grow at the same time.

i thought worker was halfway done, but in principle i agree with you except when i build a boat i try not let city grow, i mean put all hammers in the boat.

ruff_hi's idea of second city in interesting but still i think it's better to build the city at the coast. Takes a few turns extra to connect the copper but we can make an archer in place.

Notice that the barb city is exactly on the right place.:)

Top Bottom