1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Saturn Embassy

Discussion in 'Team SANCTA' started by General_W, May 12, 2009.

1. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

That'd be the best course of action IMO.

2. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Saturn just found us :)

3. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Sorry if I stepped on your toes G_W, but I just sent your letter as you typed it out to Saturns gmail addy.

4. Krill

Krill Chieftain

OK, I had a long and productive chat with LP...Sorry G_W if I stepped outside by authority, but considering that we do not want to pause the game, I thought it prudent to try and hammer out a deal asap; I think the results may speak for themselves :)

I did give away alot of infomation; it was a gamble, but if this game is already a 4v1 then the infomation is useless, and being open turned out to be quite good IMO.

Spoiler :
    Lord Parkin says: (11:58):
    hi
    interesting situation
    Krill says: (11:58):
    hi mate

Lord Parkin says: (11:58):
    how long have you guys known that Kaz/Cav have been allied against you?
    just curious
    you were up the top of the score chart for quite a while there
    Lord Parkin says: (11:59):
    we kind of expected to find you way out in the tech lead when we found you ;)
    Krill says: (12:00):
    Well, score's an interesting. We're creative, so we got a lot of land points that are completely irrelevent, and we orracled MC
    Lord Parkin says: (12:00):
    ah yeah, of course
    for a while there we were fearful that there was a Kaz/Cav/SANCTA alliance, and that MS and Saturn were completely screwed ;)
    Krill says: (12:01):
    We've known that Cav and Kaz were in an alliance since befrore we met them. Around t50 at teh absolute latest they had an alliance.
    Cav were going to oracle fuedalism, while Kaz got alphabet
    Krill says: (12:02):
    Then Kaz met us, refused to trade for anything apart from MC off us...
    Cav met us, and offered us alphabet for MC...
    Krill says: (12:03):
    At the same time Kaz refused to trade with us for MC after we rebuffed them the first time...
    Krill says: (12:04):
    Just wondering...and I'll found out when one of our guys logs into the game, but do you guys have alphabet?
    Lord Parkin says: (12:04):
    yeah
    we got it from Kaz a few turns ago
    Lord Parkin says: (12:05):
    they were suddenly very eager to trade with us
    Krill says: (12:05):
    Cool.
    What happened was they were trying to sell alpha to us as well
    Lord Parkin says: (12:05):
    maybe they knew we'd meet you soon or something...
    Krill says: (12:05):
    yeah
    jsut wondering, but did you meet us at teh chariot or the galley?
    Lord Parkin says: (12:06):
    Galley
    Krill says: (12:06):
    are cool
    where's the Chariot?
    Krill says: (12:06):
    *ah
    um
    on a hill, 2 tiles east of a desert hill
    ah, ok
    our Immortal just found Cav's territory this turn, actually... they're alarmingly close to us, only a stone's throw
    we thought we'd find MS down there, but no...
    Lord Parkin says: (12:07):
    anyway, that's just random news
    Krill says: (12:07):
    Yeah, the map seems a little weird
    we don;t know where MS are either
    Lord Parkin says: (12:07):
    unfortunately we're tied into working with Kaz at least for a little bit
    we're working on Feudalism, and have promised it to them in return for the techs they've sent us
    no biggie though, just a tech deal
    no alliance
    Krill says: (12:07):
    cool
    Krill says: (12:08):
    we thought you would be
    Lord Parkin says: (12:08):
    wish we'd known about the Cav-MS thing earlier
    would have thought more about Feudalism
    and actually, are you sure about MS?
    they didn't seem that closely tied to Cav when we talked to them
    mind you, that team hardly EVER seems to talk
    Krill says: (12:09):
    Well, we sent them more than half a dozen emails
    Lord Parkin says: (12:09):
    they seem to have some terrible communications issues
    Krill says: (12:09):
    they managed, more than 1 months after meeting us, to send us an email that ignored all of our previous talking points and commited to nothing.
    So, yeah
    Krill says: (12:10):
    you may be right and they don;t want to work with us, but not work with the others...
    Lord Parkin says: (12:10):
    I did chat "off the record" with DaveShack when we were trying to talk with MS, and he said there was a serious lack of activity on his team which was the main problem
    the few times they've responded to us, they've been fairly friendly and agreeable
    might be just the percieved power difference, I guess
    Lord Parkin says: (12:11):
    we're the one team that's lower than them on the scoreboard, so they don't feel threatened or something :p
    Krill says: (12:11):
    Ah, that definately helps :) We'll definately have to take that into account...
    Lord Parkin says: (12:12):
    I think if MS could be brought on our side that'd be a fairer 3-2 than the current one
    Krill says: (12:12):
    definately
    Lord Parkin says: (12:12):
    then again, I'm dubious about whether it'd be worth it
    that team just sucks at communicating...
    Lord Parkin says: (12:13):
    we've been trying to arrange a tech trade with them for weeks, and still nothing...
    from past multiplayer experience, I've found you really need allies that will read and respond to messages promptly
    otherwise they're next to useless ;)
    but I may be speaking too soon
    Krill says: (12:14):
    yeah...I think we're on the same page there ;)
    Lord Parkin says: (12:14):
    then again, we've known MS for months, and they've always been this way...
    yep
    Krill says: (12:14):
    Well, may we talk about tech for the moment?
    Lord Parkin says: (12:15):
    we'd actually become rather frustrated and bored with the game, because Kaz/Cav were always rather arrogant and abrupt with us, and MS were simply not there. So it was a bit lonely out there... glad to have met you guys ;)
    sure thing
    Krill says: (12:15):
    well, basically, you can see teh techs we have.
    What you can't see is that we have 300 gold saved atm
    Krill says: (12:16):
    We weren't sure what you guys were teching, so we saved gold starting around t75
    Krill says: (12:17):
    You've already seen the offer of an alliance. That's going to stand even if you have to research fued first.
    Lord Parkin says: (12:19):
    okay
    Krill says: (12:19):
    If you guys are willing to trade us alphabet, CoL, archery, we're able to get maths and masonry by t93, currency by t99-t100. We'd be willing to trade you these, and Metal Casting (so long as you could agree to not trade them to Kaz/Cav/(and MS on the offchance...).
    Lord Parkin says: (12:20):
    We'll be getting Maths from Kaz soon...
    part of our deal
    so you don't have to put any beakers in to that
    (or have you already?)
    Krill says: (12:20):
    nah, we haven't started yet.
    Krill says: (12:21):
    as said, we'd been waiting to meet you
    and it's been a lonely few months
    Lord Parkin says: (12:22):
    I don't see that we'd have any problem with trading you any techs - I'd have to talk it over with the team though, obviously. I think the only point that's been raised so far is that maybe we should make gifts instead of trades - just to reduce traceability for the moment. It'll probably become apparent soon enough that we're helping each other out, but it'd be nice to try to keep cordial
    relations with the other nations as long as we can. :)
    ah, right
    Lord Parkin says: (12:23):
    what's taken so long, by the way?
    roughly what direction / how far are you from us?
    Krill says: (12:24):
    We're to the SE of our galley. you? Basically we took a wrong turning about 40 turns ago, went into a cul de sac and then the warrior died. Then we just thought it'd be quicker to drop a chariot off with a galley instead of walking an axe over there around so many mountains
    Lord Parkin says: (12:24):
    SW of your Galley
    Lord Parkin says: (12:25):
    ah, okay... so just bad luck really
    ah well, it happens
    Krill says: (12:25):
    yeah.
    Lord Parkin says: (12:26):
    we never bothered with a work boat / galley, and all our land-based explorers died due to animal attacks...
    we were fairly unlucky there
    Lord Parkin says: (12:27):
    probably should have gone with the work boat in retrospect, but never mind
    do you know where any of the other teams are located relative to one another?
    Krill says: (12:27):
    Kaz are south of us
    Lord Parkin says: (12:27):
    we can only see Cav, to our SW
    Krill says: (12:27):
    We found Cav, along way to our west of us
    Lord Parkin says: (12:28):
    ah, okay
    I wonder where MS are... I guess either down south or way to the west
    they met us from the west
    via work boat
    Krill says: (12:29):
    They met us with a warrior, woody 2 promoted near our lands
    Lord Parkin says: (12:30):
    ok
    Krill says: (12:53):
    One point that I think probably should be made though. We're willing to research Currency...but we do want CoL in the near future. I know it seems a little greedy to ask this, as we'd be asking for more upfront, but if you were, hpyothetically speaking, to send CoL as well as alpha to us, we'd have no reason not to research currency to then return to you.
    Krill says: (12:54):
    obviously we'd be willing to send MC to you as well.
    Lord Parkin says: (12:55):
    I don't think there will be any problems with that
    Lord Parkin says: (12:56):
    assuming that we're entering into a full alliance, we'll probably be happy to agree to trade whenever required, without much regard for the beaker costs. That's the way I find the best alliances work, anyway - that way no-one gets uptight about who owes what. :)
    Krill says: (12:56):
    yeah, I do agree with that. It's just you never quite know what's going to happen when you meet a new team...we onnly met, what, 2 hours ago?
    Lord Parkin says: (12:56):
    both parties agree to trade whenever the other requests something, and everyone stays happy
    yeah, indeed ;)
    Lord Parkin says: (12:57):
    I think we've found a fairly mutual desire to help one another though
    I guess both of our teams have had the whole "lonely/bored" thing going on due to isolation from the other teams
    Lord Parkin says: (12:58):
    nice to finally meet a team that's not all guarded and cautious ;)
    Krill says: (12:58):
    ha, yeah
    Lord Parkin says: (12:58):
    (or in MS's case, practically non-existent...)
    Krill says: (12:59):
    lol.
    Well, I have to go to lunch now.
    Would it be OK with you posting this chat in our respective private fora? I'm ok with it if you are
    Lord Parkin says: (12:59):
    alright
    yeah, that's fine
    I'll do that too
    almost bedtime here
    Lord Parkin says: (13:00):
    I guess you're in the US?
    or Europe?
    Krill says: (13:00):
    England
    Lord Parkin says: (13:00):
    ah, ok
    New Zealand here
    Krill says: (13:00):
    cool.
    Anyway, have a good evening then. I look forward to reading your emails in the future and hopefully working with you :)
    Lord Parkin says: (13:01):
    yep, indeed. Likewise. :)
    see you later

5. mostly-harmless

mostly-harmless Chieftain

That's some pretty swift diplomacy, Krill! Well done.

mh

6. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

I'll read this more carefully when I get a break at work - but my intial reaction is :clap: :rockon:

Great work Krill!
    Thanks for jumping on this. :salute:

7. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

very nice!!

8. Dreylin

Dreylin Cousin Itt!

Looks promising!

Interesting that they are willing to offer immediate OB even though it would benefit us significantly before them. I definitely think that we should discuss a Galley exchange to ansure they get the benefits too.

e.g. Once our Galley has found their lands and established routes, we gift it to them to sail back. Then they either gift it back to us, or keep it as consideration for the lopsided routes we gain in the meantime.

9. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Thanks guys. :)

I agree. Next turn Saturn should found that city, for the two silvers, and if we have OB by then we should be able to immediately gift the galley to Saturn for them to sail back. It should take roughly 7-8 turns to get it to our borders.

While it would be nice to try and sail to the west to find MSand gain trade routes with them (we'll need them by the time we have currency and/or the GLH), I'd be willing to accept that hit. We should let Saturn know the trade off though; they may be about to build a workboat to meet us anyway, in which case as an alliance us getting trade routes with another civ would benefit us both.

10. Memphus

Memphus Chieftain

don't they need sailing? otherwise that city won't be hooked up to their other ones and therefore we won't get the bonus. (only from that new city)

11. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Yes...we do need to send them sailing to get the full amount of trade routes (worth 5 commerce per turn...yum).

Saturn would like to try and keep any alliance hidden; it's a laudable aim, and they also accept it won't work for very long. Well, I seriously doubt any other team is going to think that we aren't going to get along given both our current positions, so the only way to hide an alliance is to make it seem like we are dating instead of about to perform marriage vows...

There are multiple ways to do that, I'm not sure which ones are the best though.

12. Memphus

Memphus Chieftain

we gift sailing

they gift CoL

we gift MC

they gift Alpha

1 turn apart?

13. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Well, Saturn stated they are owed maths in about 10 turns from Kaz; basically we've got nothing to research apart from Currency; maths in 10 turns is OK for us.

So ideally we want alphabet before we end turn on t91. We start research into currency next turn (without the bonus from maths). The turn we finish the lighthouse in IS we finish masonry and overflow into currency.

That would mean that without any other teams researching currency, and without us getting maths, we would get Currency eot t97 (and Masonry in there as well).

I think I favour researching Currency next, if we can get Maths off Saturn as well as alpha and CoL. The commerce from the trade routes will be useful, as a tech it balances out the current tech trades quite well, and LP seemed happy to get asap as well.

Now, that brings up the point of how well can we hide tech trades? And we can only do it on turns when we don't grow and cities or research any techs.

It'd work by us completing (or moving all units, anyway) the turn but not hitting enter. Then Saturn trade the tech and we end turn. The sole increase in points suggests that was when we researched the tech ourselves, and didn't trade for it. This doesn't work for Saturn though, as Kaz knows that they are research fuedalism, so any techs for them must of come from us.

The conclusion I'd draw is that we should probably just be open and tech trade everything, except maybe MC to increase the cost to the other teams. Hiding it isn't really going to work that well.

14. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

Krill you freaked me out. I know you were being intentionally vague but I was all panicy that something really bad was happening!!! :lol:

This looks like great news and I'm all for proceeding

15. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Hey, it's the best way to get the posters out of the woodwork :lol:

It also got Darrell and Soooo to join the team...rather constructive of me, I'd say ;)

16. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

Well done Krill! Just got caught up, SWEET!!!!

I think we need to be straight with Saturn about our Wonder Plans also....If we are looking for a long term partner, I believe all the cards need to be on the table!

17. IamJohn

IamJohn (was)?

Very nice job krill, we started a very good relationship, and more people are always a good thing :)

18. General_W

ok - I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow (bad timing, I know) - so I worked to get this rough draft alliance document ready. Hopefully we can agree on something even before I go!

I won't put this in quote tags for easier editing work for those that want to take a swing at it:

------------------------

The PASS​

Permanent Alliance of Saturn-SANCTA
    Draft 1

An agreement between Saturn (Persia) and SANCTA (Netherlands).
    Whereby it is recognized that the thee-way alliance of foreign powers is poised to run away with this game if they are not stopped.

Whereby it is recognized that it is in our mutual self interest to fully cooperate until we are the only two remaining powers in the game.

Article 1: Non-Aggression
    It is hereby agreed that we will not attack each other or provide aid, in any form, to anyone fighting any member of the alliance.​

Article 2: Exclusivity
    It is hereby agreed that we will not trade or gift technology, offer financial aid or information about alliance plans, or provide military support in any form to non-members of the Alliance.
    Exceptions to this can be made only by express mutual agreement. ​

Article 3: Defense
    It is hereby agreed that if either member of the alliance comes under direct military attack by an enemy power and the other alliance member is NOT under direct (or imminently direct) attack the Alliance member who is not under attack will provide:
    • 150 hammers worth of military aid as soon as possible.
    • 10 hammers per turn* (accruing each turn till balance is paid off by delivery of a military unit)

* The 10 hammers per turn will scale with the progress of the game (and arrival of more expensive units). When the alliance acquires Gunpowder it shall rise to 15 hammers per turn, and with Rifling or Steel to 20 hammers per turn, and with Assembly Line, Artillery, or Flight to 30 hammers per turn,

This defense provision does NOT apply to offensive wars started by a member of the Alliance for purposes of conquest. (Pre-emptive attacks against an invading force are allowed and still count as defense).

The Hammer-per-turn obligation will last until the Ally under attack successfully captures/razes an enemy city or until the other ally comes under attack themselves, or until 500 hammers have been transferred. ​

Article 4: Technology Cooperation
    It is hereby agreed that we will cooperate on technology in a generous fashion with eachother.
    It is hereby agreed that we will pursue rapid technological advance in good faith – and not attempt to abuse the alliance.
    (ie - No member of the Alliance shall stockpile gold at a rate greater than is reasonably necessary for general strategic concerns.)
    It is hereby agreed that we will openly and forthrightly share research plans to avoid any duplication of effort and ensure rapid progress.
    It is hereby agreed that all technology shall be shared openly, upon request, without regard to beaker value, with eachother. ​

Article 5: End of the Alliance
    This alliance will end when Saturn and SANCTA are the only two remaining teams in the game, or upon express mutual agreement to terminate the alliance.
    It is hereby agreed that the non-aggression (article 1) part of this alliance will remain in-force for a minimum of 10 turns after the last foreign power is eliminated from the game (either by destruction or capitulation).​

------------------------------

Thoughts on that?
    Let's get cooking!
    :salute:

19. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

3 looks too specific to me, and doesnt really fit with the rest of the agreement.

20. General_W

It's a little specific, I agree, but I think Article 3 is necessary to make Saturn feel secure enough that we're not going to abandon them to be destroyed.

We could make it more vague... but then it would be quite a bit less comforting.
    Did you have a suggestion?