SCENARIO: America in the Philippines; 1898-1902

During operations in northwestern Luzon in early 1900 I got no less than three armies within two turns. With these and my two older armies, I conducted a series of zigzag offensives across norther Luzon and broke the back of organized Insurgent power. However, the island remains trapped in a vicious circle of local revolts and heavy-handed American "restoration of law and order". The citizens of Vigan and Batangas have showed a particularly obstinacy, revolting time and time again, sometimes right under the guns of the Asiatic Squadron!

Meanwhile, the Yankees conquered Mindoro, only to lose most of the island again to a series of revolts. American troops currently only hold Calapan.

In mid-1900, a American forces landed on Panay, and made a terrible slaughter of poorly equipped Insurgents in the horribly one-sided battles of Capiz and Iloilo.

I've almost catched up in VPs with the Insurgents, and am raking them in much faster, so I should be in for a VP victory.

My invasion of Negros was a brilliant fiasco - I lost almost thirty units as Baconga flipped. :sad: That Filipino losses were similarly horrific is little consolation. In revenge, I doing horrible things to the Insurgent capital at Cebu.

(This was one of them in-game happenings I take personally. Hadn't it been for my little house-rule, I'd stripped Negros of every trace of human habitation.)

Calapan also flipped, leaving Mindoro completely in rebel hands. I'll have to send a force their and teach them proper respect for Uncle Sam.

On Luzon, the frequency of uprisings seem to be falling. I'm building alot of Public Works and Telegraph lines, so that's as it should.

The southern islands are by know stuffed with crappy Insurgent units that are milling about - this is why my landings get so bloody.

The AI stopped trying to retake Masbate after I invaded Panay. Seems like sensible prioritization.

You're familiar with the "name" resources from TAM? Something like that for the various islands would be cool.

Things to change? Well, the single most annoying thing I've already mentioned - the relative uselessness of US Regulars as compared to US Volunteers. The only thing I build Regulars for is strategic defense of a handful of keep positions.

You should mabe give the Barcos minimal fighting stats - as it is, I sink alot of them with my transports, which doesn't feel entirely right. Alternatively, just drop the attack value on the Steam Transport.

Whacking pollution in Calif is no fun and adds nothing to the challenge. Maybe give Calif-only improvements dealing with polution to these cities?

Something that's just perverse is that I like disease - it usually kills Filipino citizens!

Sorry, my question was already answered.

El Justo are you a tech support guy by any chance? You solve problems nearly as soon as they come up and regularly read the new posts on your threads for any new errors that appear. That's probably why I couldn't do anything like this, even if I learned how to make scenarios. Like AOI for instance, that's soooo in depth that after spending all that time making it, I would just want to abandon all association with it. Don't you just sometimes want to say "the H*ll with this!" and abandon the scenario to its fate? Well, personally I'm very glad you don't, otherwise I'd be bashing my skull into the wall trying to figure out what's wrong with it (when and IF an error occurs.)

Thanks for reading my pointless comments :goodjob: .

I have no official source to cite to, but here's an interesting story about how sweet and cuddly the American military is and has been.

During the conflict now known as the Phillipine-American War, the "insurgents" developed a strategy which was very disconcerting to the American Army. They would wrap their torsos in bandages before attacking an American position. The standard-issue .38 pistol of the time left a fairly small wound, and had very little "stopping power". Thus, an insurgent who was shot would keep coming. The bandages limited the blood loss.
The Army decided they needed a handgun with more power - capable of knocking a man down if he was hit. Several companies submitted bids, but the winner was the Colt .45 handgun (aka the "Army Colt") In test firings a pistol fired 6,000 bullets without jamming, a record at the time.
In 1911, the US Army officially adopted the Army Cold as their standard-issue handgun. With various changes and improvements, it remained standard issue for nearly 40 years.

The Last Conformist said:
My invasion of Negros was a brilliant fiasco - I lost almost thirty units as Baconga flipped. :sad: That Filipino losses were similarly horrific is little consolation. In revenge, I doing horrible things to the Insurgent capital at Cebu.

(This was one of them in-game happenings I take personally. Hadn't it been for my little house-rule, I'd stripped Negros of every trace of human habitation.)

Calapan also flipped, leaving Mindoro completely in rebel hands. I'll have to send a force their and teach them proper respect for Uncle Sam.

On Luzon, the frequency of uprisings seem to be falling. I'm building alot of Public Works and Telegraph lines, so that's as it should.

The southern islands are by know stuffed with crappy Insurgent units that are milling about - this is why my landings get so bloody.

The AI stopped trying to retake Masbate after I invaded Panay. Seems like sensible prioritization.

You're familiar with the "name" resources from TAM? Something like that for the various islands would be cool.

Things to change? Well, the single most annoying thing I've already mentioned - the relative uselessness of US Regulars as compared to US Volunteers. The only thing I build Regulars for is strategic defense of a handful of keep positions.

You should mabe give the Barcos minimal fighting stats - as it is, I sink alot of them with my transports, which doesn't feel entirely right. Alternatively, just drop the attack value on the Steam Transport.

Whacking pollution in Calif is no fun and adds nothing to the challenge. Maybe give Calif-only improvements dealing with polution to these cities?

Something that's just perverse is that I like disease - it usually kills Filipino citizens!
TLC,

i'm not sure what "TAM" is...but yeah, i like the idea of 'island resources'. they're actually in already (Luzon & Mindinao). having trade shut off enables me to pinpoint certain locales where units can bbuilt exclusively. TCW has this as well.

heh...you finally cracked! i was really, really mad at the culture flips, too.

i like all of your ideas for modification. i shall implement them. thanks.

Tank_Guy#3 said:
Sorry, my question was already answered.

El Justo are you a tech support guy by any chance? You solve problems nearly as soon as they come up and regularly read the new posts on your threads for any new errors that appear. That's probably why I couldn't do anything like this, even if I learned how to make scenarios. Like AOI for instance, that's soooo in depth that after spending all that time making it, I would just want to abandon all association with it. Don't you just sometimes want to say "the H*ll with this!" and abandon the scenario to its fate? Well, personally I'm very glad you don't, otherwise I'd be bashing my skull into the wall trying to figure out what's wrong with it (when and IF an error occurs.)

Thanks for reading my pointless comments :goodjob: .
hey Tank Guy.

no problem mate.

i looked into the error you had a little further. as it turns out, that wonder (Customs Port) requires the "Luzon" resource which is not w/in the strtegic resource box of Manila. instead, the resource called "Manila" is under the city. i've changed it in v1.1 so that "Manila" is required instead. again, not sure if this was causing the crash as i hadn't rec'd the same thing, even when clicking on its entry in the Civilopedia.

:lol: no, i'm not a tech support guy :lol: i work as a paralegal and i'm training to be a teacher now that you ask.

i like to respond to everyone...i know it's tough but if you like my scenarios enough to DL them and to post in the thread, then i think everyone deserves a personal response whether it's an error message or not. bug hunting, as head-ache inducing as it is, is very necessary if one wants a good scenario. sure, i've banged my head against the wall a few times. however, giving up is not an option...b/c...well...once i start something, i most definitely like to finish it. of course, i'm probably liable to be diagnosed as OCD but who cares!

crazybeard said:
I have no official source to cite to, but here's an interesting story about how sweet and cuddly the American military is and has been.

During the conflict now known as the Phillipine-American War, the "insurgents" developed a strategy which was very disconcerting to the American Army. They would wrap their torsos in bandages before attacking an American position. The standard-issue .38 pistol of the time left a fairly small wound, and had very little "stopping power". Thus, an insurgent who was shot would keep coming. The bandages limited the blood loss.
The Army decided they needed a handgun with more power - capable of knocking a man down if he was hit. Several companies submitted bids, but the winner was the Colt .45 handgun (aka the "Army Colt") In test firings a pistol fired 6,000 bullets without jamming, a record at the time.
In 1911, the US Army officially adopted the Army Cold as their standard-issue handgun. With various changes and improvements, it remained standard issue for nearly 40 years.
hi there crazybeard.

i never heard of that "bandage" trick before. very interesting. i did know about the lack of kick w/ the .38 though...and the subsequent development of the Colt.

thanks for the info!

After taking Cebu, I quickly made myself sole master of Negros and Bohol. Then I decided to return to Leyte, to where the Insurgent capital had flipped. I landed at Tacloban, and had to fight off the plentiful rebel field forces milling about on the island before I could seriously attack the city. The process was prolonged by the fact I had to redirect some of my reinforcements to put down rebellions on Cebu and Bohol. The city finally fell, however, and after that the rest of the island was easy enough to take over - the Insurgents' defense of Massin, their capital, was anything but spirited.

Meanwhile, a force from Luzon brought Mindoro back under control. Luzon was by now producing more than enough troops to put down the revolts that were still breaking out in the northern parts of the island. Standing forces on Panay and Samar similarly put down all revolts there.

The Insurgents now only controlled Mindanao and the little island away west off Palawan. I decided to land on Mindanao at Gingoog, to where the Insurgent government had fled. The city turned out to be absolutely stuffed with Moro Riflemen, but initially the siege went well - I destroyed many defenders and many Insurgent units operating in the countryside around the town. Then, suddenly, a horde of Moro Riders, Insurgent Militias, and Insurgent Guerillas turned up from the south and east, and annihilated the American land forces - two Armies, half a dozen Volunteers, a Cavalry Troop, and eight artillery pieces - in a single turn. They lost about a unit for every hitpoint they knocked off mine, but win they did.

I did not get the chance to get revenge, since the VP victory condition kicked in the next turn, declaring me winner. Felt rather odd immediately after one of the two big defeats I suffered during the war.

TAM = The Ancient Mediterranean, a very good 'epic' mod, that, as the name suggest, restricts the game to the ancient era and civs from the Mediterranean area.

The "name" resources I was speaking of are not thing like your Luzon resource, but bonus resources that do not have any game-play effect, but whose graphics consists of the name of the region written out.

El Justo said:
I looked into the error you had a little further. as it turns out, that wonder (Customs Port) requires the "Luzon" resource which is not w/in the strtegic resource box of Manila. instead, the resource called "Manila" is under the city. i've changed it in v1.1 so that "Manila" is required instead. again, not sure if this was causing the crash as i hadn't rec'd the same thing, even when clicking on its entry in the Civilopedia.

I take it 1.1 is in the works then?

TLC,

looks like Mindinao will take the longest of all of the islands to pacify. this is good!

thanks for the clarification on the resources. are you suggesting to add something like this into this mod in order to make it easier to identify each of the islands?

El Justo said:
TLC,

looks like Mindinao will take the longest of all of the islands to pacify. this is good!
It would have been easier to take if I'd attacked it sooner rather than let 'em connect up all cities and build troops for a couple of years, but since it's only got one VPL, and that one is in a rather remote location, there's little incentive to attack it till the rest of the islands are firmly under your thumb.
thanks for the clarification on the resources. are you suggesting to add something like this into this mod in order to make it easier to identify each of the islands?
Exactly. I think most civvers would be hard put to point out, say, Panay, on an unlabeled map. Couldn't hurt if the scen teaches people some geography, could it?

wow, im definitely gonna dl this! its a subject matter very close to my heart! Anyway, about the "bandaged warriors", I believe youre referring to what the spaniards called the "juramentados" who are basically Moro warriors from the south on a suicide mission. It's their way of declaring jihad, basically, on the foreign invaders. They bandage themselves with usually red strips of cloth on all parts of their bodies in order to cut circulation. As such, they could take a lot of bullets. They caused a lot of problems for the Americans.

As to wanting to raze a few Filipino cities due to insurrections, im reminded of "Howlin' Jake Smith", an American general who ordered just that, to turn the island of Samar into a "Howling wilderness", and to kill all Filipinos over the age of 10. "Kill and burn, kill and burn, the more you kill and the more you burn the more you please me… no time to take prisoners", he said.

This was caused by bolomen surprising and killing 48 Americans while they were having breakfast in Balingaga, Samar. This caused the wiping out of tens of thousands of Filipinos in the island, thus becoming said "howling wilderness".

El Justo, having just recently purchased Civ3Complete for the Mac, I would be interested in your download on the Philippines insurrection. Which is the correct download, and do you include Kiplings "The White Man's Burden" with it as a read me file?

I like the picture of A. T. Mahan as your avatar. I might have to see if I can scrounge up a picture of Michael De Ruyter to use.

hi timerover51.

thanks for the bump. i love this little scenario :)

you'll need to DL 3 total items to get it running properly and each of them are contained in the very first post of this thread.

the 1st one is at the bottom of post #1 and it says "download the main folder here". once DL'ed, unzip the file and put it in the follwoing directory:
C:/Program Files/Infrogrames Interactive/Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios

the 2nd one is a fix on a units_32 file which i forgeot to include in the 1st DL. unzip this file, 'cut' it, and 'paste' it into the PAW/Art/Units folder. the game will crash on you if you don't have this little file in the right folder.

the 3rd one is the .biq file attached onto the very bottom of post#1 and it is called PAW1.0.zip. unzip the file, 'cut' the .biq file, and paste it into the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Infrogrames Interactive/Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios

when you fire up the game, choose 'Civ Content' and find the PAW1.0 file and you're set!

PS- no Kipling i'm afraid. however, i did write the Civilopedia file from scratch as i spent a while researching this war while at uni :D

Mahan is an interesting fellow ;)

Gratz on this Mod-

I can't get the Americans to load in the states without a CTD as the last unit loads- so I went to “the natives.”

On turn one (1) I took Manila (only bad move was then the Spanish fleet remained intact and bombarded me turn after turn). It took 15 turns to drive the invaders (Yanks) from Cedu/Manila area. Movement was problematic through turn 30 or so due to river loss of 1 MP so I built railroads inland. Awesome to say the least.

I have retaken all Luzon (main island) and held or acquired all others except four cities on Samar/Leyte ( http://www.gov.ph/aboutphil/images/bigmap.gif) and Cebu (which culture flipped on the Yanks- :lol: ).

On Luzon I have amassed 50 cannon and numerous Soldadoes (soldiers). Any time the Yanks land I pulverize them. I will gladly trade 1:1 with the “white devils.”

Yankee ships have not sunk any of my transports as yet, so I run build-ups of troops to all towns continually. Not being able to ship cannons was problematic until I dropped back to using Bolomen. Now with a 10 man ready-reserve stationed at most troublesome points- I dare the invaders to land.

I'm wondering now if Barcos (transports) will handle an ocean crossing? If so, then I will invade the U.S. :eek: Not for awhile though. I want to build up forces outside each Yank held city to occupy if a flip occurs or to help invade it with my quickly assembling invasion group.

Time will tell-

This is a great mod, historically accurate and very fun. Playing as the Philippinos. So far so good, I'm quite confident I'll be able to push the invaders back to the sea where they belong.

thank you Zachar :) i spent a good deal of time studying this conflict and i transferred it over into the civ3 universe :)

there are some bugs though in this scenario that someday i'd like to fix. perhaps your reports could help w/ that...

Top Bottom