[Scenario] Assigning AI player Difficulty

GenericPlayer

Warlord
I saved and edited a huge Earth map to create a scenario. The primary purpose of this was to ensure that I (Egypt) always start in the Nile Valley and that the other players start in their respective locations.

I'll cut to the chase the problem is that I am trying to play on Prince level. At first, it seemed correct. The amount of SP culture point requirements, happiness, gold budget and beakers needed for techs all seemed to point to a Prince game. The problem is the AI. Its lagging too far behind in tech's and is not aggressive enough.

When I specified AI players (Player 2 through 6) I specified their handicap as 'Prince' - I was under the impression that Prince is the level at which the AI and the player both have the same handicaps. So what handicap should I be setting the AI to in order to get a proper Prince game?

I never found an answer so I tinkered with it over a few iterations and I believe I found the combination that is most fun for me:

1. Set Player one (me) handicap to prince
2. Set all AI Civs handicap to Settler
3. Set All City State player handicap to Settler as well.
4. When setting up a new game, after checking the "load scenario" box, set the difficulty to 'Diety'

What I ended up with was a game where the AI had alot of bonuses and was very ambitious. At the same time, I still had the Prince handicap so I was not lagging far behind. In this map (Huge Earth) I only had 7 civs and 6 city states so I don't wait forever in the late game between turns.

Anyway, it was probably the most fun I had since I started playing Civ 5

Game. GetHandicapType ()
gives you the game handicap (whatever you set the game too)
Players [ 0 ] : GetHandicapType ()
gives your handicap
Players [ 1 ] : GetHandicapType ()
gives you the handicap of player 1, which remains to whatever you set it too in the scenario data

edit not sure why my first edit wasnt saved, maybe i forgot to save it:)

smellymummy,

your post is very difficult to understand as you have typed it.

Generic,

so your perspective is that the levels set in worldbuilder set the AI difficulty (for that civ, and only that civ)? Or, how did selecting "deity" affect things versus not selecting "deity"?

hi,

edited the post so the stuff you type in the tuner is on one line (3 commands). what it means is:

1st: is what the game tells you the handicap is set to. this is the same as the handicap you set at the setup. it's defined in the "Game" data

2nd: is what the game tells you what handicap level is set to for the human player (player 0), which is like #1. this is defined in "Player" data

3rd: is what the game tells you what handicap level is set for one of the computer players (in that example, player 1), which is defined in "Player" data

its not my perspective, its just the facts from what the game responds when querying difficulty settings. how it affected anything, i don't know. either the game doesn't use the settings it's claiming, the OP had a nice fluke, or the GetHandicapType () function doesn't mean (but they do match the handicap info,ie "HandicapInfos" table) anything and theres a whole different set of difficulty level calculations

Generic,

so your perspective is that the levels set in worldbuilder set the AI difficulty (for that civ, and only that civ)? Or, how did selecting "deity" affect things versus not selecting "deity"?

Zen, this is how I understand it so far

1- In the world builder you set the handicap for the AI players individually. This, I believe controls how many beakers are needed to get new tech, culture quota for new SPs, happiness....etc. It does not seem to control how bellicose or expansionist the AI is. I set all AI handicaps (CS and Civs) to Settler

2- I set handicap for player 1 (me) to Prince.

3- The AI behavior seems to be controlled by the difficulty level in the game set up screen.

The map I am playing on is a Huge Earth with 7 Civs and 6 City States (mainly to cut down between turn comp time in the late game). So its not crowded, but the civ's borders eventually do meet up.

On Prince difficulty (talking about difficulty setting in the set up screen, not scenario handicap) I was still able to stay ahead of the AI in tech and building all the wonders. The AI was not very aggressive, and only a few times declared war on me.

On Diety difficulty the AI was advancing in tech very quickly and I was working hard to keep up. As an Egyptian-Tradition-Marbled civ it was hard for him to keep up with my wonder building, but they still managed to snag a wonder or two. The AI declared war on me several times, fielded huge numbers of units and I was on the brink of disaster a few times. It wasn't like in Prince where you kill off units and the AI cities just sit there ripe for the taking. I had to set up a dedicated defensive line and dig in deep to keep them at bay. And then when I thought I got all its units I send a few units up ahead to take the cities. That's when the AI would send in some reserve units to flank my guys and kill them off. So I had to be more careful, and I reloaded much more often than I did in any Civ 5 playthrough. So in short, I did not feel 'in control' of the game the same way I do when I play Prince out of the box, but I did not feel like my disadvantage was so bad that it would prevent fun.

I hope that answers your question

Top Bottom