SCENARIO: The Napoleonic Wars

I suggest not using Huge map.
Turns take forever with that and in smaller map you getter better feel of situation...

Also I think you should consider is the northern africa so important it needs to be in the game. This would leave the Northern Africa minors out of the game and in the end the deciding factor was Europe not Northern Africa. So I suggest cutting the Africa of leaving only small land close to the Gibraltar.

Even though detail is good...there must be thought that if the map is large...units will drown to it and people will lose the feel of being control of their nation. Also if I was you I would consider the amount of cities as well. Are there needs to be so many? I think there were far too many cities in your earlier civil war scenario.

Here's small "victory objective" idea…

I think only the option of Conquer victory is little bit stupid so I suggest also giving chance for either Space Race or diplomatic victory.
Ok…not real "Space Race" option as that would be even more stupid but…let me explain.

I'm not sure can there be more than one wonder that has same ability. Example Apollo Program that gives ability to build spaceship parts. Idea is that each civ starts with their own tech that cannot be traded (also it could give certain type of Government that is hated by the others) which gives ability to build wonder that is same like Apollo Program. So Example France has wonder called "France Victory" in town. And…here comes the fun part…Different objectives are spaceship parts. And each spaceship part requires certain resource. Resource that is only in one place on map…in certain victory objective (city).
So example that France could win the "Space Race" they must build "spaceship parts" Moscow, Napoli etc. and to get build it they must conquer those cities to get the resource from that town. Giving the resource appearance ratio like 1 and disappearance of 0 means that it will be only the place it's put in the editor. And even though the city would razed the resource stays there and with new colony or city it can be taken.
This allows that example Russia can still fight against France when they lose Moscow but if France has chance to get connection to Moscow resource it will give them chance to build Moscow spaceship part. However problem here is of course that later Russia can take Moscow back and France won't lose the spaceship part. But this could be prevented by giving the spaceship part high cost enough so it would take time to build it.
This same could work with Diplomatic victory option too. Before one can build "the United Nations" he would have to get certain wonders to be build before it which need certain resources.

I think this is the only way to describe victory objectives. Of course if there's chance to build only one "Apollo program" then each civ must have same general objectives like London, Paris etc. to be able to build wonders and be able to win the scenario.

Originally posted by Trip
Here's the current list:

Musketman
Rifleman
Imperial Guard
Dragoon
Lancer

3 Pounder
6 Pounder
9 Pounder
12 Pounder
Howitzer

20 Gun Frigate
30 Gun Frigate
40 Gun Frigate
60 Gun Ship of the Line
80 Gun Ship of the Line
100 Gun Ship of the Line
120 Gun Ship of the Line
Galleon (Transport)
I would suggest the following;

Musketman - There should be a difference between the conscripted French infantry and the highly trained British Line regiments (notably the British army were the only army to train with live ammo).
Rifleman - Note that normally individual Rifle companies were attached to Line Regiments so there were very rarely and large discrete groups of Riflemen. This suggests that you should also include the Light Infantry and the Grenadiers who were attached in a similar way to the Rifle companies (noting that most British line regiments consisted of 8 Line companies, 1 Light company and 1 Grenadier company).
Imperial Guard - The Elite French infantry who were invincible until Waterloo
Lancer
Hussars - Light Cavalry
Dragoon - Medium Cavalry
Carabiniers - Medium French Cav with Carbines
Cuirassiers - Elite Heavy French Cavalry

3 Pounder - Light Cannon?
6 Pounder - Medium Cannon?
12 Pounder - Heavy Cannon?
Howitzer

30 Gun Frigate - Frigate

80 Gun Ship of the Line - 3rd Rate SotL
90 Gun Ship of the Line - 2nd Rate SotL
100 Gun Ship of the Line - 1st Rate SotL
120 Gun Ship of the Line
Galleon (Transport)

I hope this isn't too much info but I've read a few Sharpe novels :D

Where can I download that Europe map for my own use? Thanks

Originally posted by Psycho420
Where can I download that Europe map for my own use? Thanks
It's Norm's Giga Map of Europe. You should be able to find it in the maps section here.

As far as using a smaller map, I think I may make 2 versions of the scenario, one on a huge map, and one on the giga map. The scenario requires I use at least a huge map in order to capture the detail necassary in central Europe. Keep in mind though, that not every spot will be full of cities, so it won't be as hard CPU-wise as it may seem.

Originally posted by aka_Macca

Carabiniers - Medium French Cav with Carbines
Cuirassiers - Elite Heavy French Cavalry

Carabiniers and Cuirassiers where both considered heavy cavalry.

Originally posted by Steph

Carabiniers and Cuirassiers where both considered heavy cavalry.

Really? That does strike me as a bit odd, as I thought that before the tank all heavy cavalry had no ranged weaponry. Where did you find this info? I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just interested.

Lililan and Fred Funcken books, "L'uniforme et les armes des soldats du premier empire". I'm really into napoleonic period, as a figurinist, so I know Napoleonian army quite well, especially French (as I'm French).

French Imperial Cavarly was divided in three :

- "Grosse cavalerie" (heavy cavalry) with Cuirassiers (12 regiments) and Carabiniers (2 regiments),
- "Cavalerie de ligne" (line cavalry) with Dragoon (30 regiments) and Lancers (6 regiments)
- "Cavalerie légère" (light cavalry) hussars (11 regiments) and Chasseurs (15 regiments).

First real update of the thread. Check the first post in the thread for new info. :)

You should place some small cities in Sweeden and Russia, and give them a lot of culture, just to make the borders look right in the map.

... inf act I'd suggest a much smaller map in both East and South- the Russians are gonna become a monster if U leave it like that, and the game will not be playable for long- also exntend the map to the West (the French, British and Spanish were also fighting in the Caribean...)

Originally posted by Smoking mirror
Trip, have you thought very hard about the size of the map? I think a standard size europe map would be a much better idea, turns on a giga map would take for ever. On random civ II maps, there is about 70% water, where as a map of europe only has about 20-30% water at most, so a standard europe map is actualy quite big (I tried it the other day, and a standard map has plenty of room for historical cities and such like as well as all the important islands.

On a different note, Iv'e just finished the Napoleonic rifleman, I'm going to post it in a few minuites.
Heres a preveiw;

I c it has already be brought up :D

In other fields- if we get enough people together we can further customize the units (i.e. Austrian riflemen, Prussian, etc). Since they are in civ colors anyway, customization would mostly be done by changing the headgear (some cases the pants or straps)

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r
... inf act I'd suggest a much smaller map in both East and South- the Russians are gonna become a monster if U leave it like that, and the game will not be playable for long- also exntend the map to the West (the French, British and Spanish were also fighting in the Caribean...)
There won't be any Settlers in the game, don't worry about it. Besides, if I extended as far west as the Carribbean, then Prussia would only be one city. :crazyeye:

Winter, SmokingMirror was referring to when I was using a giga sized map for the scenario. It's now only huge (I won't go any lower).

As far as the unit customization, that would be awesome if I could foster the support to do that. Right now I have statusperfect doing a larger artillery unit (I'll probably use it for the 9 Pounder), and he's going to work on a Guard unit, so I can use that image for the Imperial Guard.

So in other words, if you can go graphics well, and have a bit of spare time to devote to a poor guy and his scenario, I would be much obliged. ;)

Thanks a lot. :)

Due to the recent release of some of the units that are very useful for this scenario, there will be much more flavor than there would have been (I'm about as artistic as a rock). I can whip up maps and units and cities for days on end, but hand me 3DSM or Photoshop and I run. ;)

Also, on an unrelated note, if anyone knows a better system for naming the naval vessals (the exact # of guns would be nice, rather than 40/60/80/100), I would appreciate it if you would enlighten me. :) I mainly deal with the land aspect of the era and don't know as much as I could about the war on the seas.

The only pb with the picture is ... their number!
I have 2 150 pages book + 21 Osprey Ment-at-arms books, filled with Napoleonic pictures. It will take a very long time to scan all of them!

Tell me what you need the most. As I said, I have almost all the countries, with Infantry, Cavalry, Artilllery.

For instance, if you plan to make only line infantry, I won't scan light infantry...

Mostly, I want the line infantry uniforms for the countries I listed in my first post. Beyond that, the uniforms can be transferred over to artillery/cavalry/etc. will a fair amount of ease. Those Osprey books are top-notch... I have the Austerlitz and the Lutzen and Bautzen ones, and they're quite nice. :) Thanks for helping me out, this should simplify things quite a bit. :goodjob:

Top Bottom