[SCENARIO] World War I

very great scenario i must first say. I played as the french and it seemed very realistic. I was able to hold germany off but didn't make any advances except brussels, which i captured and lost several ties. The only thing that i noticed were that America and Britain were almost no help at all, besides navy. I got into 1919 and even after alot of "American forces arrive in Europe" messages, they did absolutely nothing. They were able to take a city in Northern Germany, but the next turn they lost it. I just dont know what is happening to all these American troops, it seemed like they had sooo many?

Thanks everyone for your comments. :) I'm glad (most!) of you are enjoying the scenario. I won't be able to respond to you all directly but if there's something pressing pleast post again. We're hard at work finishing Warlords so hopefully it'll be up to your guys' standards again. :)

To play in multiplayer load the mod (Through the Main Menu's "Advanced" and then "Load a Mod" item) and then go into the Multiplayer room. You should only be able to see other players which have the mod loaded. If that doesn't work post here and we'll see if we can figure out why.

wanderer6552 said:
Trip, thanks for theCiv3 Civil War scenario - I enjoyed it.

I would like to enjoy 'World War I' & 'Battle for East Asia' but I appear to be having similar troubles to Pigfarmer. After 3-4 complete uninstall/defrag/clean installs of Vanilla Civ4, then Patch 1.61, then step-by-step opening of game, with following results:

1. Could start new game, load saved game, & play 'Desert War' mod without any problem (with v.1.61 game seemed to load faster, too).

2. On installing WWI & BfEA, can start new game, load saved game with no problems, BUT on trying to play either Mod, game says must restart, restarts, then CTD as first panel is loading. Nor can I play 'Desert War' at all - same result - CTD.

3. Initially loaded Mods in MODS folder of Civ4 programs folder where vanilla Mods were loaded on original install. CTD. Tried loading in MODS folder in My Games doc. folder. CTD. Tried both - CTD. Loaded by copying .zips into Mods folders, then unzipped. Deleted all old & unnecessary files. CTD.

4. So - can play normal games - cannot play ANY Mods/Scerios.

Help!:cry:

wanderer@idx.com.au

Okay, so you've deleted both your "My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4" folder and your "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User\Application Data\My Games\Civ 4" folders? You should have shortcuts to both of them in your main Civ 4 directory.

Great scenario!

Completed it with italie and austria, now i am playing with germany
(prince lv)

But i have a request,could you please post a new version in witch you could play all civs? Because i coudnt adjust it with the xml program and i am eager to play as serbie,bulgaria or other puny nations(its more fun to play as the underdog) Anyway, Trip you did a great job:goodjob:

You make civ playable with worldbuilder opened up on notepad. You open up the public map and then where it says playable nation you change 0 to 1

My first Civ4 scenario :D

Really nice work, I'm having great times with it. Playing as the British, was silly enough to let my transports go undefended at the start and the entire Expeditionary Force was wiped out. Focused on the Ottomans until 1917, when a massive German offensive meant I could no longer ignore France.

Good times, a very enjoyable scenario :goodjob:

I am into 1919 playinsg as Austria-Hungary and I have to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for this wonderful mod, I am a huge fan of the Imperial age in Europe and WWI capped off this incredible period of "shoot first, ask questions later" politics. Thanks once again.

I just finished this scenario, started the war about 3 weeks ago, then had to travel, and just finished up today. All I can say is WOW!, what a great scenario.

Played on Emperor level, as Austria-Hungary. I regularly play vanilla civ on Emperor, so I was expecting some challenge.

What an excellent job by the author of this scenario! I can't remember ever playing a game where the result was in the balance on the final turn. I ended up winning a time victory, 529 to 527, having taken Calais from the British on the final turn throwing everything into the battle and just barely winning the city. I've gone ahead, let me recap the war:

I started by focusing on Serbia to the south and Russia to the north. After the initial Russian attacks, I was able to overtake Serbia within about a year and then started against the Russians. I was able to move steadily against the Russians and broke Warsaw and Brest-Litovsk (later to be a key city). As this was going on, the Balkans and Mediterrean fired up and I found myself at war with Italy, Roumania and later Greece. Italy served as nothing more than a thorn for quite a while, sending units in to destroy infrastructure and tie up loose units. When Roumaina started into the war, I began to focus on finishing them off as quickly as I could. The Turks really was just fighting a rear-guard action against the Russians to the north and the Brits to the south. The Bulgarians were really useless in this war, however, they did keep the Greeks pretty much at bay. The Germans had broken through to almost Paris, and had captured Calais to only have that retaken by the Brits. They also captured most of the Baltic cities, and even Helsinki.

I finished off Roumania by late 1917 as the US started getting involved in the war. I figure I will hold off the Russians to the East by simply keeping a few units behind in defense, and also taking Odessa to the East to consolidate my defensive position, and then transfer troops to the West to fight in the major battles.

I have two major battle groups, one marching toward France and the Western Front, and another to fight Italy and move toward either Southern France or into the Italian penisula. By mid 1918, I am marching toward Venice in Italy and Paris in France. Hard battles on the western front finally break the French and by mid 1919, Paris has fallen and the war appears over. However, the technological advantage of the Brits and French (with tanks), along with the US resupply cause Paris to then fall back in January 1920, while I was able to steadily, but slowly, advance on the Italians through Milan and finally Florence (at heavy, heavy cost). Then my strategy in the east fails, and Brest-Litovsk falls back to the Russians; and with lack of adequate troops or transport infrastructure to take it back, it will remain Russian. This puts me now behind in score by 1 point, with 7 turns remaining.

I muster every unit possible for one last advance on Paris to break the back of the Allies once and for all. There are a number of cavalry that will not make the attack in time, but having air superiority, I was able to fight for Paris and take it back with 2 turns remaining. Thinking that I just needed Paris to tip the scales, I wasn't planning to attack Calais, but due to some devine intervention, I had based all of my fighters in Brussels. At the end of the turn, I was still trailing by 1 point (Paris by this time was reduced to a 1 population city due to all of the fighting and starvation and my population was almost to near revolt with unhappiness). Thank goodness I was still streaming in my army (that wouldn't make it to Paris in time) through Brussels, which allowed me to divert it for the final two turns to attack Calais. Thank goodness I based my fighters in Brussels in order to cut down as much of the defensive units as I could. And thank goodness that the Germans were also marching toward Calais with advance artillery and the lone Central Powers tank.

My remaining ragtag army and air core launch a desperate attack on the British at Calais; many of my attacking units were well below full strength and would be fully sacrificed to try to take the city. With only one unit to spare (and one with only 5 remaining strength), I was able to take the city. Another minor skirmish outside of Odessa which was victorious means that as time expires, I would have a 2 point victory.

------------

In the "real world", the French, British and Americans realize that the war would continue to be a stalemate, and with the capture of Calais and Paris and an insufficient base for immediate counterattack, the Allied powers agreed to an armistice based on the Kaiser's 4 Point Program for the Peace of the world. These points included:

1. Maintenance of the German and Austrian areas captured during the war by the respective countries, including the colonization of Poland by Germany and the military administration of the northern part of France to prevent future agression by the French.

2. The removal of Great Britian and French colonies in Africa, the Middle East and Asia, and immediate administration of said colonies by Germany, Austria or the Ottoman empire.

3. The destruction of the British and French navies and the agreement of German naval superiority in the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterrean Sea.

4. A payment of war reparations to Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire in the amount of 1 billion Reichmarks every annum for 50 years (until 1971).

After the armistice, Italy agreed to a seperate peace with Austria and Germany. Faced with no allies, the Russian Empire agreed to sign a peace treaty with Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire. The Ukraine, Crimean, and Baltic territories would be administered by Germany, while the Ottoman Empire would control most of the southern colonial areas of the former Russian Empire.

---------

Now back to reality, this was a great game and a great scenario. Now, I will try as the Allies.

ggalindo001 said:
I just finished this scenario, started the war about 3 weeks ago, then had to travel, and just finished up today. All I can say is WOW!, what a great scenario.

Played on Emperor level, as Austria-Hungary. I regularly play vanilla civ on Emperor, so I was expecting some challenge.

What an excellent job by the author of this scenario! I can't remember ever playing a game where the result was in the balance on the final turn. I ended up winning a time victory, 529 to 527, having taken Calais from the British on the final turn throwing everything into the battle and just barely winning the city. I've gone ahead, let me recap the war:

I started by focusing on Serbia to the south and Russia to the north. After the initial Russian attacks, I was able to overtake Serbia within about a year and then started against the Russians. I was able to move steadily against the Russians and broke Warsaw and Brest-Litovsk (later to be a key city). As this was going on, the Balkans and Mediterrean fired up and I found myself at war with Italy, Roumania and later Greece. Italy served as nothing more than a thorn for quite a while, sending units in to destroy infrastructure and tie up loose units. When Roumaina started into the war, I began to focus on finishing them off as quickly as I could. The Turks really was just fighting a rear-guard action against the Russians to the north and the Brits to the south. The Bulgarians were really useless in this war, however, they did keep the Greeks pretty much at bay. The Germans had broken through to almost Paris, and had captured Calais to only have that retaken by the Brits. They also captured most of the Baltic cities, and even Helsinki.

I finished off Roumania by late 1917 as the US started getting involved in the war. I figure I will hold off the Russians to the East by simply keeping a few units behind in defense, and also taking Odessa to the East to consolidate my defensive position, and then transfer troops to the West to fight in the major battles.

I have two major battle groups, one marching toward France and the Western Front, and another to fight Italy and move toward either Southern France or into the Italian penisula. By mid 1918, I am marching toward Venice in Italy and Paris in France. Hard battles on the western front finally break the French and by mid 1919, Paris has fallen and the war appears over. However, the technological advantage of the Brits and French (with tanks), along with the US resupply cause Paris to then fall back in January 1920, while I was able to steadily, but slowly, advance on the Italians through Milan and finally Florence (at heavy, heavy cost). Then my strategy in the east fails, and Brest-Litovsk falls back to the Russians; and with lack of adequate troops or transport infrastructure to take it back, it will remain Russian. This puts me now behind in score by 1 point, with 7 turns remaining.

I muster every unit possible for one last advance on Paris to break the back of the Allies once and for all. There are a number of cavalry that will not make the attack in time, but having air superiority, I was able to fight for Paris and take it back with 2 turns remaining. Thinking that I just needed Paris to tip the scales, I wasn't planning to attack Calais, but due to some devine intervention, I had based all of my fighters in Brussels. At the end of the turn, I was still trailing by 1 point (Paris by this time was reduced to a 1 population city due to all of the fighting and starvation and my population was almost to near revolt with unhappiness). Thank goodness I was still streaming in my army (that wouldn't make it to Paris in time) through Brussels, which allowed me to divert it for the final two turns to attack Calais. Thank goodness I based my fighters in Brussels in order to cut down as much of the defensive units as I could. And thank goodness that the Germans were also marching toward Calais with advance artillery and the lone Central Powers tank.

My remaining ragtag army and air core launch a desperate attack on the British at Calais; many of my attacking units were well below full strength and would be fully sacrificed to try to take the city. With only one unit to spare (and one with only 5 remaining strength), I was able to take the city. Another minor skirmish outside of Odessa which was victorious means that as time expires, I would have a 2 point victory.

------------

In the "real world", the French, British and Americans realize that the war would continue to be a stalemate, and with the capture of Calais and Paris and an insufficient base for immediate counterattack, the Allied powers agreed to an armistice based on the Kaiser's 4 Point Program for the Peace of the world. These points included:

1. Maintenance of the German and Austrian areas captured during the war by the respective countries, including the colonization of Poland by Germany and the military administration of the northern part of France to prevent future agression by the French.

2. The removal of Great Britian and French colonies in Africa, the Middle East and Asia, and immediate administration of said colonies by Germany, Austria or the Ottoman empire.

3. The destruction of the British and French navies and the agreement of German naval superiority in the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterrean Sea.

4. A payment of war reparations to Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire in the amount of 1 billion Reichmarks every annum for 50 years (until 1971).

After the armistice, Italy agreed to a seperate peace with Austria and Germany. Faced with no allies, the Russian Empire agreed to sign a peace treaty with Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire. The Ukraine, Crimean, and Baltic territories would be administered by Germany, while the Ottoman Empire would control most of the southern colonial areas of the former Russian Empire.

---------

Now back to reality, this was a great game and a great scenario. Now, I will try as the Allies.

well mate, you forgot a quiet important detail in your description, allow me to complete it.

"during the offense in france a german communication officer got killed, the german soldier - born in austria - called adolf hitler died serving his country. lets remember this, as the last big war in europe and memorize all soldiers that gave their lifes to protect their countrys ... on both sides" ;)

xxJFKxx said:
well mate, you forgot a quiet important detail in your description, allow me to complete it.

"during the offense in france a german communication officer got killed, the german soldier - born in austria - called adolf hitler died serving his country. lets remember this, as the last big war in europe and memorize all soldiers that gave their lifes to protect their countrys ... on both sides" ;)

Yeah, many of the WWII personalities would never be known. Based on this Central Powers victory:

1. First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill would be a key agitator to the British Crown after the armistice is signed. With the diminished role of the British navy, he would move to Canada to ride out the remainder of his life. He would largely be blamed for not having landed sufficient troops to remain on the continent at Calais and would be considered in the British Empire as the man who lost the Great War.

2. Lieutenant Charles de Gaulle would escape the 3rd battle for Paris in 1920 and would later have revolutionary ideas around the restoration of France as a world power. From his base at Marsaille, he would become a key leader of the Communist Party of France. With the aid of his confidant, Leon Trotsky of the newly formed Peoples Republic of Russia, he would start a rebellion that would plunge France into a costly civil war. By 1934, with war raging on either side, the remainder of France would be jointly administered by the German empire to the north and east and Facist Spain to the south and west.

3. Joseph Stalin would be jailed for 20 years for igniting a revolution in Ottoman held Georgia in the late 1920s. The re-emergence of the Ottoman empire from the brink of disaster during the early 1910's as the "sick man of Europe" to a dominant force in near Asia and the middle east. The ever increasing dependence on oil by the world positioned the Ottomans as a superpower by the late 1920's.

4. Corporal Adolf Hitler would return to his native Austria after the war and would have a modest career in painting along the Danube.

5. Newspaperman Benito Mussolini saw the defeat of Italy in the war as a rallying cry for his Black Shirt movement. By 1925, he has taken full control of the government and sponsored open revolutions in the northern parts of Italy controlled by the Austrians. Austria was beginning to feel the pressures of the multitudes of nationalities under her control, and with the collaspe of France to the west, the Italians were able to drive the Austrians out of the remainder of Italy by the late 1920s. Facists now controlled southern Europe and the mediterrean from Spain through Italy.

6. President Woodrow Wilson did not agree to the armistice but knew the US could not fight the Central Powers alone. His final days revolved around communicating the need for America to remain un-isolated from the remainder of the world. He would die in 1921, largely blamed in the US as not being able to make the world safe for democracy.

7. Representative Franklin Delano Roosevelt would use the defeat in the Great War as a spark for his long political career. He would be elected American president in 1932, after the US has grippled with the costs of reparation for 12 years plunging the US economy into depression for the last 7 years. His platform of reform included some radical ideas, including formalization of treaties with Imperial Japan and battered England for mutual protection, and the lend-lease program for Japan in her fight to rid East-Asia of the German colonies. In 1936, he would sign the Pact of Steel with Britain and Japan against further encroachment by the Central Powers.

8. Neville Chamberlain would rise to the Prime Minister's office in Britain in the early 1930's, coinciding with Roosevelt. At first, he was a proponent of appeasement to the Central Powers, wanting to keep the peace in the French crisis. His famous speech at the Orleans conference allowing for the partition of the remainder of France between Germany and Spain kept Britain out of war and ensured "Peace in our Time". However, continued agression by Germans, the Ottomans and soon the Facists made it clear that another war was imminent.

------------

By 1936, the world was divided into four camps.

The first was allied through the "European Alliance (EA)", including Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. The EA was targeting the administration of the Americas having controlled most of the Euro-Africa-Asian mega continent.

The second was the "Pact of Steel" between the United States, Japan and the remnants of the British Empire (Britain, Australia, Canada). India had declared her independence and neutrality soon after the end of the Great War.

The third was the People's Republic of Russia. The world's first communist country was also one of the poorest, and was targeted for further exploitation by the EA.

The final was the countries of South and Central America, China and India. Neutral throughout, they would continued to be exploited by the two major powers, and would serve as the skirmishing battlegrounds throughout the 1930's as constant revolution took place in these countries.

----------

The second great war would start in 1941. Continued German influence in the Mexican elections resulted in the presidency of a Pro-EA candidate. As he was ending his second term and about to leave office, FDR consulted with the congress and agreed that he would remain in office until the "Mexican crisis" was averted, while suspending the US constitution in extraordinary fashion. On December 7th, 1941, a day quoted by famous German politician Erwin Rommel, that will live in infamy, the Pact of Steel troops supported mostly by Americans poured across the Mexican border. The American "lightening war" or Blitzkrieg as called by the German press, overran the Republic of Mexico within 3 weeks. The EA called for the immediate American removal, which was not going to take place. The EA response was swift as a full invasion of the British Isles would be undertaken.

How would Russia side....could China, India and the South Americans make a difference. Would England survive? Would America? Who would be the first to make the terror weapons?

------------

Again, my original comment stands, what a great scenario.

I'm playing the scenario for the first time through as the Ottomans. WOOF! Talk about a "work in progress!" Almost the first half of the scenario has to be spent on a worker rush to upgrade the pathetic infrastructure. With about 30 turns remaining I had become a true ally of the Central Powers. With a little over a year remaining the Brittish have been expelled from the Mediterranean and my massive air corps have shifted their focus from homeland defense to the Western front. I doubt I can truly impact the war in the West, but the tide is officially turning in our favor. I haven't kept fully apprised of the German war machine, but with fifty biplanes crushing opposition on the front I would hope my German allies can hold until I can solidify a railway connection to Germany to speed transport of my veteran troops fresh off their victories in Georgia and Egypt.

A few things...
*Was there really so little in the Ottoman empire? A lighthouse, granary, or theatre here or there would seem warranted in one of the oldest inhabited areas in the world...
*A Forbidden Palace somewhere in the eastern half of the empire would be a godsend. As it stands I had to switch to State Property on turn 1 to survive the maintenance
*Some workers would be nice :)
*I know religion could become a messy subject, but I really think that some religion could add a whole new level to this module. The Ottomans (and the central powers in general) would be insanely powerful, however. They would have the Holy City for Judaism, Christianity, and Islam and with the spread of all the cities things could get insane. An alternative is to have four alternate religons take the place of Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism to balance the allies a bit. Catholicism could be in Rome, Lutheran Christianity in Germany, Russian Orthodoxy in Moscow, and Greek Orthodoxy in Greece (somewhere). You could also add Anglican Christianity in London for good measure. Otherwise I'd remove the Spiritual trait.
*The rampant unhappiness from choosing anything but Police State, Nationhood, and Emancipation is simply too much to bear and so to give the player of any civ some options I'd recommend adding some happiness boosters. While that combination will be a good one, the player has an option to do something different.

That's all my suggestions for now. I'm going to try it again after I finish with this one to see if I can do some things differently (putting a nationwide 0 growth policy into effect for one... also trying to rush a great engineer so I can try a Forbidden Palace rush in Aleppo or nearby there).

Thanks for the great mod. I'll definitely be playing this one after the time expires just to see how much of an impact I would have had if I had been able to reach the Western front sooner.

Downloaded v.2, deleted the old ww1 folder from Mods, deleted the WBS file. Put both the new folder in its place, the WBS file in its, and when I start the WBS file, I get to choose my civ. I choose Germany, and then I get window that takes up the screen with all the names of all the units, and an error message about Civ4formationinfos.xml not loading in reference to the units.... has anyone else seen this? What is the fix? Its unplayable at this point.

Thanks.

wotan321 said:
How do I delete my cache, please?

A tip --> Once you find where your cache is located, put a shortcut to it on your desktop so it is easy to delete whenever you need to.

Mine is located at

/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/MyGames/Civilization IV/cache

Keep in mind your folders may be hidden, so make sure you unhide folders.

There is also a hotkey you can press when Civ IV is loading that will reset the cache, but I cannot remember what that key is. If you do a search on the forums, it is there.

Top Bottom