1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SCENARIO] World War I

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by Jon Shafer, May 6, 2006.

1. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

They probably declared war on you and not the other way around.

2. supersoulty

supersoulty Chieftain

Nope... it told me that I had declared war on them.

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Re-download from the 1st page :)

The same with me, as I offered peace to them... Perhaps is that the one who offers the peace treaty is the one who redeclares war...

But this leads to an exploit... I was destroying the french, and a massive english force landed near an almost undefended city. So I offered peace to the french, the english withdraw, and I bought some time for the reinforcements reached to the city...

4. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

I had the same problem as supersoulty. I signed a deal with the Russians so that I could prepare for the inevitable war with the Italians, as well as invade Amsterdam and Denmark. The next turn, many of my "friends" were mad at me because I declared war on the Entente.

I would use the same exploiting strategy as Elhoim, but the UK will only make peace with me if I gave up Calais. Even France wants a city from me for peace, even though I've expelled them from mainland Europe...

5. Dom Pedro II

That's bizarre. I've never seen the AI demand a city or even agree to a city as payment for something. In fact, I really wish that trading cities were a bigger part of the deals made in the game.

6. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

It was in Civ III somewhat, so I guess that's why so many people don't like Civ IV...

7. Dom Pedro II

I've discovered the code for it in the SDK, so I may try tinkering with it to make it higher on the AI priority list. Especially for a scenario like this where territorial swapping is so important.

8. Dennis Laursen

Dennis Laursen Chieftain

Really nice scenario! :)

But, you have made a little mistake - its wrong at place Denmark and Sweden as Representation under "Government", because Denmark and Sweden, also at that time, have Universal Suffrage ;)
    We have never in the history, have presidents ;)

9. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Also having Environmentalism is kinda strange... I don´t think they cared about the ecology much at that time... It would also be nice that Russia changes to State Property on Oct. 1917...

10. Dom Pedro II

Well, you wouldn't want to make it so rigid that it happens on Oct. 1917 without condition. I thought about maybe creating a Lenin "leader" unit that would start out in the vicinity of Switzerland and could then be sent by the Germans to St. Petersburg where he would promptly spread the Communist religion and just generally make trouble in Russia.

It's a shame that the name/traits/etc. for leaders can't be changed mid-way through the game. Especially since the Russian revolution was really a two-stage process: Nicholas -> Kerensky -> Lenin.

11. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

Instead of setting a date for civic changes and Russia pulling out of the war, more events could occur. To simulate the Russian Revolution's effect on Russia, you could add units to Germany or subtract Russian units or something...

12. Justinian519

Justinian519 Chieftain

The score victory needs too be raised. You win easily with 20 turns left. Also Bulgaria's land says %Serbian, not Bulgarian. Finally the land right around Vienna and Constantinople should be more developed. This would make these cities more important and further stress a central government. This is just my opinion, though.

13. risc06

risc06 Chieftain

I'm with the Joisey-sider on this one. I've always thought that CIV was far too nationalist in this regard - people didn't really start kicking up a stink about losing 'national' populations until after the French Revolution - before that (and even into the twentieth century in the case of colonial agreements like the Heligoland-Zanzibar agreement between Britain and Germany in 1890) governments were far more willing to make territorial concessions in diplomacy.
    Maybe (for Dom Pedro II or any other qualified modders) there could be a compromise for those who hated the trading cities thing by making it easier in the early- to mid-game, but extremely difficult after the discovery of the Nationalism tech? Anybody?
    Also, I'd want to avoid giving Protestantism an holy city in the WWI scenario - the whole point is that the respective churches are state-based - but if you had to, it would have to be in Germany, the heartland of Luther (even American, Swedish, English and Scots patriots recognised Germany as the 'home' of their brand of Christianity).

14. Dennis Laursen

Dennis Laursen Chieftain

1: Ohh yes, you right :lol:
    2: Hmm, Russia first communistic at that time?

15. Spartan117

Spartan117 Immortal

dom pedro good luck with the coding...if you get it right this will probably be one of the best if not the best scenario fror civ 4....

16. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

This is an awesome scenario!

I played the Austrio-Hungarian Empire and had a great time. The game is well balanced for either side.

I am going to have to try out the other playable civs. Thanks for the great new scenario.

17. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Well said.

:goodjob:

18. jefff

jefff Chieftain

another idea for the Russian Revolution could be to, from the start, have a Red Army or Soviet Union Civ that holds no cities and has no units, then, when the Russians start to suffer major casualties or lose territory on their western front, large amounts off Soviet/Red troops appear in large groups near cities deep in Russian territoty. They should be able to take about 2 major cities if they act fast, and therefore start a Civil war. This could be played out very far, i.e. when the Red Army Reaches Moscow, the Romanovs are sent to Siberia, and when they capture all cities in modern day Russia i.e. not Ukraine, Poland, et. c., then the Romanovs are assasinated and all of Russia goes to the Neutral Soviets. this would be an amazing feat of coding at the very least.

19. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

Yeah, but how much fun would that be as Russia, knowing it is very likely that all your cities are lost?

20. elderotter

elderotter Otter King

Hey, just downloaded this and am playing it as Italy to get a look at it without having to be at war from the beginning. It is great, was a little suprised when peace broke out in Oct 1915...but war resumed the next month, so all is well :crazyeye: . Am really learning the issue of less is more in this game...thanks GREAT mod - good job. PS I like the history that goes along with it as you play.