Scoreboard suggestion

BobTheTerrible

Just Another Bob
It always annoyed me that the scoreboard was one big conglomerate of civs. I tend to lose track of which civ is on which continent/island. So, my suggestion is to make an option for the scoreboard to separate civs by continent/island. So, there would be one continent worth of civs, arranged hierarchically in score order, a one line break, and another continent arranged by score order, etc. Civs alone on islands that are sufficiently far away from a continent could also get their own spot. Of course, this would be annoying for archipelago maps or maps with lots of continents, but I think it could be useful for people like me who play on huge maps with 2-3 continents and tons of civs.

Interesting idea. I have been wanting to create more sorting/grouping options for the scoreboard lately. What about civs on multiple continents? And how far is "sufficiently far"?

Interesting idea. I have been wanting to create more sorting/grouping options for the scoreboard lately. What about civs on multiple continents? And how far is "sufficiently far"?

I would assume the easiest way to do it would be whichever continent the civ's capital is on would be its continent on the scoreboard. There could be some funky situations when capitals get captured and get put on another island or continent, but I think it would work out for the most part.

As for islands, if it's something like England or Japan where it's the equivalent of one or two tiles from the mainland, it should be part of the main continent. If the island is separated by deep ocean it should definitely be it's own thing, since civs can't cross over until later in the game.

It would also be cool if we could name the space above each continent on the scoreboard, i.e. "Asia." Or if we could choose the way in which they are grouped in the first place, so we could add civs into different groupings even though they are on the same landmass i.e. "Northlands" and "Southlands" or something.

Also, a way to sort the list (by religion or who's fighting who). Currently, I can't see the entire list bcz I use more than 36 civs, so I can't see everyone.

Also, a way to sort the list (by religion or who's fighting who). Currently, I can't see the entire list bcz I use more than 36 civs, so I can't see everyone.

Good point. There are a few mods that use a scrolling scoreboard for people who play with tons of civs. That would be a good idea to implement as well.

why not create a scoreboard screen that has additional flexibility instead of trying to fit everything into the on-screen scoreboard. You could even throw a mini-map in there that highlights the civ as you hover over / click on its leader. Put in some icons (we love icons) that are pre-configured for different scoreboard layouts.

That is a remarkable idea. I hate looking at the name of some minor distant civ (I'm using bigger maps now too), and having no clue where it is, and not feeling like searching the entire map looking for 1 or 2 cities. Hence, a separate screen with rollover light-ups for the civs location would be great.

While the separate screen with an enlarged minimap with civ names on it is a good idea, I'd still like to be able to look at the scoreboard and know which civs are top dog on each landmass without having to trawl through each civ on the world map.

Well, related to this scoreboard... I am getting frustrated that there is no seperate icon for TRADE-ROUTES to a civ. It is quite often you can have Open Borders, And/Or triple-arrows indicated, but STILL not have any trade-routes allowed. You MUST check inside your cities to know this every round. Gets very frustrating, as it is a lot more clicks needed than should be necessary.

Well, related to this scoreboard... I am getting frustrated that there is no seperate icon for TRADE-ROUTES to a civ.

I agree that multiple icons would make sense for the trade column:

• Connected to trade network :)traderoute:)
  • Can have trade routes, but don't have any yet
  • Have at least 1 trade route
Any ideas for icons to use for the last two situations?

You MUST check inside your cities to know this every round.

In the interim, you can open the INFO tab of the Foreign Advisor. If you can have trade routes with a civ, you will see values in the two trade columns for the number of routes you have with that civ :)traderoute:) and their total value :)commerce:).

Edit: The check to determine whether or not you can have trade routes with another civ isn't working entirely correctly in 3.5.1. I learned only recently that you can trade with vassals and teammates while either of you are running Mercantilism. Thus, 3.5.1 will sometimes hide the trade you have with another civ. That or it always shows it and I didn't add this feature until after 3.5. In any case, the SVN shows/hides these column values correctly. :)

# Can have trade routes, but don't have any yet
# Have at least 1 trade route

How about a single broken arrow for the first, then a single non-broken arrow for the next...

Top Bottom