[SDK/MOD] Throughout the Ages v1.0

This MOD is unplayable, I got 1085 turns left and i havent discovered any sci yet. I will discover Mining in 775 turns tho... LOL
I have 14 Cities and i cant build anything atm untill i discover mining...
This is mod sucks unless my version is corrupt or sumitn'.

saint1979 said:
This MOD is unplayable, I got 1085 turns left and i havent discovered any sci yet. I will discover Mining in 775 turns tho... LOL
I have 14 Cities and i cant build anything atm untill i discover mining...
This is mod sucks unless my version is corrupt or sumitn'.

Agree. Completely useless

I've played a couple of games with it. I like it, but it does take too long for the early technologies. In both cases, the game was pretty much over before the first tech was discovered.

I think you'd get what you want with this mod if you made the techs half as long to discover as they are now. The early techs would still be very slow, but you'd get an occasional one that that you could try to use for a competitive advantage.

I think part of this problem is that most ppl are trying to play on a huge map with 18 civs and on marathon. This will definately make it next to impossible to get anywhere technology-wise.

If you must play on a huge map with 18 civs, play on either the quick game speed or one of the multiplayer speeds. This way you can not worry much and get only 14 cities and still get techs fast. However, the first 4 techs will take about 600 turns to research them. If you go this route: Bronze Working, Animal Husbandry, Writing, Alphabet, it will put you in the classical era and you will have libraries and research building. This will help a lot.

My point is don't expect to get very far quickly on marathon if you don't have 50-60 cities. ;)

Also, If you choose custom game you can select whether or not you want a time limit. ;)

Be sure to read the readme file guys, I know it's a long read, but I explain everything in detail in it so everyone knows how the mod is meant to be played. ;)

@ Dimaliok: That other post of mine was an idea. It isn't currently like that. ATM all techs have 100000 pts as a base value. ;)
@ saint1979: I just checked and yeah it would seem as if Fileh.com is down atm. I'll put the python patch as an attachment in the first post as well. ;)

Uh... is there a reason everyone else is getting HUGE amounts of time to research and I'm not? I have about 50-100 turns for the early techs and this lowers to 10-30 turns for the later techs. I do still have all the Tech cost set to 1000000 EXCEPT for the first tier technologies (Mining, pottery, fishing...). Those I have set to, I think 5000-10000 cost. Any ideas?

NEW_Rome

NEW_Rome said:
Uh... is there a reason everyone else is getting HUGE amounts of time to research and I'm not? I have about 50-100 turns for the early techs and this lowers to 10-30 turns for the later techs. I do still have all the Tech cost set to 1000000 EXCEPT for the first tier technologies (Mining, pottery, fishing...). Those I have set to, I think 5000-10000 cost. Any ideas?

NEW_Rome

It all depends on how many cities you have. If you are on marathon techs will cost 100000 pts but if you only build 10 cities you will not be able to research techs every 30 turns. You will need 50 cities or more to do that. ;)

Ok lets settle this once and 4 all who thinks he should leave the normal tech costs

roster

leave tech costs :) change back tech costs to normal :mad:

dimaliok said:
Ok lets settle this once and 4 all who thinks he should leave the normal tech costs

roster

leave tech costs :) change back tech costs to normal :mad:

LOL! Well I am currently in the midst of a test game. Although I found a bug pertaining to the actual game and not my mod, (Map related) I started on a standard map with 6 players, (5 AI and me) and I am on normal game speed.

The map I made myself and has 6 continents that are 21*21 grassland in size separated by water. So with that size of land I had 25 cites. (would be nice if the AI knew how to build properly.) Although I was exactly right on to the year I mentioned in an earlier post, (1 AD to get Bronze Working, Animal Husbandry, Writing, Alphabet) The following eras didn't match up. (I am in medival nearing renaissance and it's almost 700AD)

I am now currently getting techs in less than 10 turns each at 86% Research output however, I feel it might be worthwhile reducing the tech costs by 50% so that players can play on marathon and only need 25 cities. This will allow for more AI opponents. ;)

Let me know what you guys think. I'll only make this change if it is desired. ;)

P.S. The Bug I encountered has to do with the open borders treaty. I made a mistake when I made the map and put ocean to separate the land masses, (Not near the coast though) So I couldn't meet anyone until I had researched optics which give galleons and caravels. Thus, after making an open borders treaty with all 5 civs, I sent some explorers over to each civs' territory and well... the game locked up on one of the turn sequence because one of the civs cancelled their open borders treaty and my explorers had nowhere to go. :p

This above bug is not related to my mod but the map I made and the game itself. I even left a galleon at the shores of each civs' territory I was exploring. It made no difference. :p

Hey.
I'm new to posting but not to the forums.
A lurker, if you will.

I don't mind the techs. BUT. Here's my beef.

The civics are set up in a fashion which essentially forces the player to choose the top-level civics once they are available; if the civics didn't give escalating bonuses according to levels, it would allow the player to select civics which fit their style.

Ex: In the original Civ4, a cultural player could use Mercantilism and Caste System in an effort to generate more great people. A warlike player could implement Police State, Theology and Vassalage to pump out a lot of good, experienced units.

What I'm saying is this: in the original Civ4, civics never became completely extinct, completely useless. In this mod, there's absolutely no reason to stay at a level 2 civic if you've discovered the technology to use the level 3 civic in the same category. This eliminates the dynamics of implementing different civics and also almost destroys the perk of the Spiritual leader trait.

thomnipotent said:
Hey.
I'm new to posting but not to the forums.
A lurker, if you will.

I don't mind the techs. BUT. Here's my beef.

The civics are set up in a fashion which essentially forces the player to choose the top-level civics once they are available; if the civics didn't give escalating bonuses according to levels, it would allow the player to select civics which fit their style.

Ex: In the original Civ4, a cultural player could use Mercantilism and Caste System in an effort to generate more great people. A warlike player could implement Police State, Theology and Vassalage to pump out a lot of good, experienced units.

What I'm saying is this: in the original Civ4, civics never became completely extinct, completely useless. In this mod, there's absolutely no reason to stay at a level 2 civic if you've discovered the technology to use the level 3 civic in the same category. This eliminates the dynamics of implementing different civics and also almost destroys the perk of the Spiritual leader trait.

Yeah I understand your point however, I did things this way simply to balance things out a bit. Not that the original game was unbalanced, it has to do with my mod having so many changes that I had to make a new balance for it.

The traits in this mod are basically bonuses. I mean think about it, W. is an aggressive leader in RL, however, the US isn't a dictatorship, It's still a democracy. (Which is what universal suffrage is)

My point is simply this. The leader traits don't have to coincide with the civic options, or visa versa. ;)

I would like to inform everyone that I am in the midst of my first realy test game. I must say I made this mod tougher than I thought. I am in the renaissance now, it's 700 AD and Washington is the top AI player with about 200 pts over me and he is in the industrial era. :eek:

Hopefully I can catch up to him since I have universities and he doesn't. :D

After I am done this game I will make a new patch to fix a few things. What I have on the list so far is the tech cost reduction, and the Strategy entries for the new stuff. (Units, and Civics)

Hopefully the tech change will help those who like to play games with a lot of AI opponents. ;)

So far I really like this mod. It allows you to build a lot more cities. While I wasn't neccessarily a fan of the Civ3 ICS method, I would always build another city if there was a full city radius available so as not to interfere with another city. In my current game I'm at about 150 AD, large map, warlord difficulty (the easy difficulty level might be why I'm not having too many issues with this mod, but I always play new mods on easy difficluty levels the first time through. There are always a few surprises that kind of come out of no where, like in this mod how courthouses only increase happiness, and don't lower maintenance costs at all.). I have roughly 40 cities, and I'm now researching at about 15 turns/tech at about 75% science rate. My opinion is that the tech cost should probably stay about where it is, maybe halving the cost of the very earliest techs, but no more. In fact, I have this feeling that the cost of the later techs might need to be increased, as I'm just starting to build markets, and I think that when I'm done with those I'll be researching at a pretty good clip, and I'm sure that things will really pick up when I get universities and banks.

For those who say the game is practically over before you get the first couple of techs, I think you might be missing the point of this mod. Yes it allows for much larger armies, but it's really not a warmonger type mod. If you haven't noticed, the conquest and domination victories aren't even an option. I thought it was kind of fun to fight an entire war with only warriors, but after I took out the first civ, I just sat back and waited until I could build chariots, and then took out another civ. Then sat back again until axemen, and took out another civ, waited for macemen, took out another, and so on. So there was war to occupy the early part of the game, but now that the research is starting to pick up, there is only Mansa Musa left, and he's friendly towards me, so I'm going to finish out the game as a peaceful builder, as long as he doesn't turn on me. I love the fact that this mod allows you to be a ruthless warmonger early on, and then turn into a peaceful builder in later times. Vanilla and most other mods force you to pick one strategy, but this mod allows you to completely change your civilization's focus without screwing yourself over.

Maybe my opinions will change as I finish out the game (I know that I still have something like 5000 turns left), or when I ramp up the difficulty, but I really like what I've seen so far.

One question though. Do the random events like earthquakes and locust swarms actually affect the game play yet, or are there consequences of these events that will be added in a future version?

Yeah...

My first game is on a huge pangea and marathon speed. It is taking way too long this way. I love the idea though. I think I will scrap this game and start over with a different speed.

What I fail to understand is the people coming in here saying the mod sucks. There are other mods - go play them. The whole idea of this mod is to NOT have normal tech rates. I like the idea.

@twansalem: To answer you question, the random events actually have effects to a certain extent. I didn't make it. It was made by David Fidge, and had two other functions that I decided to disable. Droughts and fertilty. I guess I could put them back but it would require me to edit the resource XML file to get them working. Ultimately, my reasoning for removing them was so that a city could not get past the size of 182. With fertilty functioning, it would temporarily make a city grow, due to the food output of the land getting higher for a period of time, which well, didn't make much sense since it would shrink after the event ends.

As for the other working functions. The olympics is the only one that doesn't give or do something. It used to give a +1 Pop to the city that hosts it, but I changed it to 0 for the same reason as I removed the fertilty event for.

As for Earthquakes, the effect of those are dependant on how harsh the quake was. The stronger the quake, the more devastation will occur. I can destroy plot improvements, (Routes, farms, etc.) as well as some buildings within a city. I don't think wonders are effected though. The neat part about Earthquakes is that at some point, (after Scientific Method I think) you get the same kind of message that an Earthquake occurred, but it also says "Our Scientists estimate that the earthquake measured 5.1 on the richter scale." Of course it isn't always 5.1, that number is generated by python on some scale relative to the magnitude of that particular quake.

The locust swarm has a negative effect and will be displayed on the map with the words "Locust Swarm" in white letters in a black box and it will move each turn across the map destroying any farms it comes across, until the event ends. ;)

I'd also like to mention that I am in the midst of checking around to see if there is a way to create a terraforming option. The idea I want to add will be to allow the player to change any terrain (except Impassable types) into grassland. So, if global warming is effecting your lands, you can send your workers over to the effects tiles and change the desert back to grassland. :D

I am hoping I can find out how this can be achieved. I thought I saw a mod with this feature but I can't seem to remember or find what it's name was. :p

Agent 009 said:
Yeah I understand your point however, I did things this way simply to balance things out a bit. Not that the original game was unbalanced, it has to do with my mod having so many changes that I had to make a new balance for it.

The traits in this mod are basically bonuses. I mean think about it, W. is an aggressive leader in RL, however, the US isn't a dictatorship, It's still a democracy. (Which is what universal suffrage is)

My point is simply this. The leader traits don't have to coincide with the civic options, or visa versa. ;)

I don't mean to argue with you, but my point was that the civics in this mod no longer fulfill the role that civics were meant to fulfill in Civ4.

Hopefully this cuts to the chase:

If we were living in this mod, every country that has discovered the concept of Democracy would be Democratic because it gives the highest bonus (not the most useful bonus, but the highest +commerce bonus of all the governments). Every country would give free healthcare because it gives the highest bonus. Etc, etc. I might tweak with the civics in the mod a tad bit to show you what I mean if that's all right by you.

[p.s. I really don't mean to be out of line. It's just that I like the mod so much aside from the civics part of it. :p]

thomnipotent said:
I don't mean to argue with you, but my point was that the civics in this mod no longer fulfill the role that civics were meant to fulfill in Civ4.

Hopefully this cuts to the chase:

If we were living in this mod, every country that has discovered the concept of Democracy would be Democratic because it gives the highest bonus (not the most useful bonus, but the highest +commerce bonus of all the governments). Every country would give free healthcare because it gives the highest bonus. Etc, etc. I might tweak with the civics in the mod a tad bit to show you what I mean if that's all right by you.

[p.s. I really don't mean to be out of line. It's just that I like the mod so much aside from the civics part of it. :p]

Wow that must make the UN suck

Alright everyone.

I am posting this to notify everyone of an upcoming update.

This update will likely take me about 5 or so days as there are a lot of strategy entries to do. (only found them cause I played a full game finally.) It will likely take me that long to do them all. It will be for the new stuff. (Civics, units, and techs.)

Other than that, I will be reducing the tech costs by 50% so the player can play games with more AI. There are also a few minor changes such as balancing tweaks for certain units' strengths and/or costs.

I am also hoping on figuring out how to add a terrafoming build option for workers which will be enabled with one of the later techs. (undecided yet)

I also discovered that the city population numbers don't add up past 2.1 billion in the info screen. So, I am going to jump into the SDK and see if this can be changed. If possible, I will change it to a 64 bit variable so that this number can continue to be added up on the total population info screen.

I was aware that cities could only go to 2.1 billion, however, I didn't realize that it wouldn't add up, but instead cap at 2.1 billion on that screen as well.

It would seem it will be a lot of work though, as all the values in civ 4 are longs and I'd have to convert them to long doubles. I've been talking with my father on this and came up with the idea to covert the total population number to millions like the food number is. (It's in millions of bushels.) So that if the total real population is greater than 1 million, divide by 1 million. However, I'd still have to define this as a long double and it might cause some issues with other values.

This population thing is low priority so I am going to make the other changes first and get into this change probably for a future patch. It might take me a week or more to find where these values are defined, figure out exactly what needs to be changed, and change it. :p

Hopefully, I'll be successful on that but, as for the other changes, I will be working on them for the next 4 or 5 days to make sure everything is working before releasing the next patch. ;)

I might be the only one and/or really stupid but I can't build farms. Says I need civil service or something first but I can't find that anywhere... I wanna build farms darn it... sense I don't know how to world the XML stuff to mod 4 like I could 3 I need help. Either how I get this civil service thing or how do I go into the files and mod it so I don't need this civil service thing and can build farms from the begining like normal. Thanks

Kyle

edit: Never mind, I DLed the patch at the bottom, DLing the right one, that should fix it

Top Bottom