Sea Colonies

have you added the sea-tunnels as a 3rd route-type or just replaced the railroad/road? because i tried to add a maglev, but it won't work... :(
here's my thread where i describe the problem: unaddable maglev

Hi !

I'm the C++ coder for the mod created by Dubmetender.
There is indeed some problems when you want to add a new type of roads and the game crashes.
The problem is only related to the graphics : as soon as the new road is built and the graphics should appear, the game crashes. The game does not take into account the graphics you created for your new road; it does not seem to load them properly !
For the moment, the only way I found to avoid this problem is to say explicitly in the code to use existing graphics (of the railroad for instance).
Consequently, I have modified the CvPlot::updateRouteSymbol function:

Original function:
Code:
if (bForce || (m_pRouteSymbol == NULL) || (gDLL->getRouteIFace()->getRoute(m_pRouteSymbol) != eRoute))

{

gDLL->getRouteIFace()->destroy(m_pRouteSymbol);
		m_pRouteSymbol = gDLL->getRouteIFace()->createRoute();
		FAssertMsg(m_pRouteSymbol != NULL, "m_pRouteSymbol is not expected to be equal with NULL");

gDLL->getRouteIFace()->init(m_pRouteSymbol, 0, 0, eRoute, this);

setLayoutDirty(true);

}

Modified one:
Code:
if (bForce || (m_pRouteSymbol == NULL) || (gDLL->getRouteIFace()->getRoute(m_pRouteSymbol) != eRoute))

{

gDLL->getRouteIFace()->destroy(m_pRouteSymbol);
		m_pRouteSymbol = gDLL->getRouteIFace()->createRoute();
		FAssertMsg(m_pRouteSymbol != NULL, "m_pRouteSymbol is not expected to be equal with NULL");

/**********************************************************************/

if (eRoute != 2)

{
                     gDLL->getRouteIFace()->init(m_pRouteSymbol, 0, 0, eRoute, this);
                     }
               else
                    {
                    gDLL->getRouteIFace()->init(m_pRouteSymbol, 0, 0, 1, this);
                    }

setLayoutDirty(true);

}

eRoute = 2 means that we are dealing with our new road, the tunnel.
The fourth argument of the init function says what graphics we should display for the road.
When it comes to eRoute=2, since the game does not know what graphics to use, I have just changed the function to display the railroad graphics ( fourth argument = 1...0 being the route road).

This is obviously not a good way to do but for the moment I did not find another solution and I do not know why the game does not load properly the graphics for the new road :(

Thanks Major for your input. I will have to get back with you on that in a few weeks. I don't have the game yet... looking to buy it either this or next weekend. While I follow the idea you are getting at I don't know anything about the specific code yet. I am a programmer as well (though lately I have been using C# for my projects... so my C++ is a bit rusty since. C++ by comparison to C# is much more conveluded so it takes me some time to make sense of it lately).

Also Major, since you are making changes to the main dll, you may want to take a look at this thread, especially if you want to make your dll universeably available. There is a more detailed explanation of the issue in my second (more specific) post at the bottom of the first page.

I may be interested in helping you guys out in the future... but right now I have other things I am working on.

Padmewan said:
Anyway, even from a realism POV, I don't see any near-future point where moving objects through underwater tubes will be faster/safer/cheaper than above water.
hmm, I don't know if it is relevant, but actually there is an used underwater tunnel. I know for sur that the ones in new york do not count, but there is one between UK and France... under the Channel. 50 km with 39 under water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_tunnel
Apparently there is one even bigger : the Seikan Tunnel in Japan
So historically underwater tunnels exist, even if they do not come close to the ones CPT2 was displaying.

but it can be considered as an improvement doable only on coast tiles or on shallow waters.. and can carry land units as if it was railroad. (surely it would cost a long time to be build by a seafaring unit such as workboats after dsicovering a tunnelling tech or a underwaterwork tech...)
it might be useful to carry unit to a close-by land of your territory, without having to use a boat (and that is what is actually done.. it is way quicker to use the chanel tunnel than to use ferry-boats..)
So even if sea colony are not created fully, it might make sense and may even be very interesting for a realistic play to develop some water-tunnels.

Interesting historical note Calavante... I've known about the England one but I did not know about the Japan one. Hadn't thought of it's relevance before now though!

PS... I bought Civ4 over the weekend and it's great. I was a little miffed (annoyed...disappointed) at first because I didn't realize that the mini map doesn't display the whole world in its area (at least not until later) and so when I was playing a huge map and reached the top of my world in less than a half hour I was outraged... but after doing some ineffective teaking (including the world editor which convinced me even more that the world was really small) of the XML and other things I decided hit "retire" thinking it meant to go to the desktop and there I saw that I had seen nowhere near the entire world in my mini map.... so I went back and tried again and realized (much to my relief and pleasure) that it's coverage area grows and expands with your knowledge of the world (including the coverage in the world editor... which I find odd!)

Anyway... to make a long story short... its a GREAT game... a nice replacement for CTP as long as we can get this sea stuff done right.

I would also like to have see colonies and future technologies like in call to power, becuase I loved that game.

Dubmetender I searched for a call to power mod in the forums, but didn't find anything.

If resources are tricky, would it be possible for them to function like submarines, only visible to certain units?
Then they may have some strategic purposes

to Cube4 :
my work isn't finish, i think in few weeks (2 or 3), it willbe terminate (i hope !!!), actually need last dll modifications, and one or two weeks for test, and it's ok !!!

Maybe some one finish similar work before me...

Dubmetender said:
to Od1n3003Broad :
i made a 3rd route type, but my friend describe the sea_tunnel in the dll, with SDK, and i think you can't add a new road type without the SDK...
that's bad. i hope this will be solved in the addon.

btw: i'm looking forward to your mod :)

Hey... I've been thinking of my own rendition of this...Dubmetender but maybe we can add ideas together eventually, but I have a question. There are only 32 original resources. This seems typical since 32 is a power of 2. So... Are we limited to 32 or can there be more? Because one resource (related to a mod like this because it is in the ocean) that we are nearly close to having access too (we don't yet only because we don't know how to harvest it practically) is the frozen methane that exists on continental shelves in vast quantities. This is basically a very large source of natural gas that could benefit us for hundreds if not thousands of years to come. I think this would be fun (and realistic!) to add as a resource to this type of mod... but I am wondering if 32 is the upper limit.

I'm almost certain you can add more, The Total realism mod has 6 extra resources, and Sevo mod as extra resources as well. Sevo mod has natural gas, and you can build a natural gas power plant.

Actually, for the moment,the mod has already 45 resources. So 32 is not the upper limit, as Cube guessed ;)
As marine resource, we have for instance the varech which gives food. And it is a good idea to have frozen methane ! If Dubmetender doesn't see your post, I will tell him ;)

However, the more you add resources, the more you have to be careful; because with a lot of resources, it is easier to increase your happiness or your revenue. Consequently, we have to balance that carefully, so that we can keep a big variety of resources but limiting their appearence so that the game does not become easy :)

Well, the mod is still in progress and I hope to finish the SDK modifications by the end of the week ! And Dubmetender should soon finish the XML modifications :)

I look foreward to seeing it. Maybe I can add some more to it as time goes by.

Just a small update.
Two new screenshots. I "played" in autoturn, and all was done by the AI :)

Okay, the beta is approaching :D
Some news screenshots ! The world is almost full of cities :goodjob:
We will have to balance carefully the resources available in the ocean and to make some adjustments with the AI, but things are still in progress :)

Top Bottom