1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously...can't install the game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Madacian, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Stop saying diarrhea is tasty!

STOP IT!

2. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Let's be fair here. It's not Steam's decision. It's TAKE 2's.

Actually, though the DRM factor is annoying, I do like how Steam tracks my library. I recently reinstalled it after years of disuse and it still gives me credit for the original CounterStrike that I bought years ago.

By way of contrast, stupid EA won't let me download Spore again because it's been 60 days since I purchased it. My kids are pissed!

3. Yosomono

Yosomono Chieftain

Because raging and fuming on the boards here is such a far better use of your time than calmly and patiently waiting for the game? Your call, dude.

4. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

I would be ticked off as well, if I bought a game and was told nothing about having to wait until a set time before I could install or play the game, despite having already paid for it.

Why is it that so many of you are defending this rather than agreeing that it sucks?

For that matter, why does Steam release games at 10am? It would make more sense to do so at midnight, when the stress on their servers is going down, not about to ramp up for another day.

5. Helmling

I can't blame him. I'd be twitchy too if I'd gone to the store, bought the box and was holding it in my hands but was unable to play.

Actually...I'm kind of doing that too. The dang thing's on my hard drive and I can't play it either. Hell, I don't even know if it will actually run come morning.

And here I am with a bad case of insomnia with nothing to do but gripe alongside everybody else.

Oh, and it's my f'ing birthday!

6. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

The only entities you should be angry with are Walmart for selling software before its official release date and time and yourselves for not being fully informed.

The activation times for the game have been known for a long time. The internet is neato.

7. Rebel44

Rebel44 Warlord

Because this date and time was decided by publisher (2K) ......

8. Helmling

What else is there to do? It's not like he can play the dang game!

9. Yosomono

Yosomono Chieftain

If you can find this forum in which to rant about how terrible Steam is for not letting you start gaming before everyone else simply because you went to Walmart, then surely you could have found this forum at any point in the past few months during which countless times the release date and time have been under discussion...and this would not have been such a clearly overwhelming shock to you.

This situation sucks for people who are waiting, certainly, but it sucks no less for those who were aware of the time than for those who bought a box early and now find themselves queued up with the rest of us.

10. Robbobloke

Robbobloke Chieftain

While I agree with this, I think it's important to say that those that have preordered have also already paid for the product. People look at release dates and not times. The solution is to release it at midnight.

11. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

I cancelled my retail pre-order for this very reason and instead bought the Steam regular version. Far less frustrating this way.

12. amboo

amboo Chieftain

lol I just watched that episode of it's always sunny in Philadelphia

13. Apoll

Apoll Chieftain

Tbh I don't see why the frustration.
    i have the game in my disk since Friday and I cannot play it :(

Surely is MY computer, I SHOULD be able to play, however I to agree on terms so so be it..

And one more note. When you posted was 20th September. North America East Coat is -4 behind GMT. It's 6:37 GMT right now (7:37 BST), so - 4 = 2:37am.
    So the thread started yesterday and wasn't either 12am on 21st September!!!!!!!

14. Alki

Alki Prince

It's Walmart's fault. Go and moan on their forums.

15. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

These threads are sooo funny. :coffee: Shouldn't you be sueing anyone instead of whining here? :lmao:

16. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

You paid for a license - licensed use begins at 10 am Eastern on the 21st. I paid for a similar license about a week ago, but didn't get immediate use of the license. You should consider yourself lucky that you are getting licensed use so much sooner after your payment than I.

17. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Yea ... it's really more Walmart actions than Steam.

As much as I dislike the Steamworks requirement for Civ V ... thats just your own misconception of when the game "came out".

18. tom123

tom123 Warlord

This is normal behaviour for Steam games. You won't be able to install it (which, lets be honest, will take five minutes) until the game is unlocked. This is because it isn't officially released until that time.
    Think yourselves lucky though.
    Because Valve have no concept of localisation, as well as having to deal with incorrect spelling and dates throughout Steam, in the UK, we have to wait until 5pm on Friday to start playing.

19. Oneluv

Oneluv Warlord

Sorry. That is truly bent. But by all means don't be upset about it. Just keep it to yourself and feel lucky to have not been given a game but a license to play said game at some future date. R U freakin' kidding me?

20. Selous

Selous King

at least you dont live out here in the sticks of the RestOfWorld ... 2days16hours10min