1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously...can't install the game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Madacian, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Dale

Dale Deity

Have a cry. Release dates aren't for nothing.

2. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

Honestly, look at the shelf-space for PC games. Time was that was an aisle of a store. Now in a game shop you are lucky if it's more than 1 bookcase of shelves. Digital and internet distribution (on-line shops like Amazon) are the future for but the most major releases.

3. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Modern warfare 2 us the most pirated pc game of all time and it is steam exclusive, so no steam does not really provide a good anti-piracy protection.

4. WaKKO151

WaKKO151 Chieftain

it will be released at 10am eastern time.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Warlord

You cant play it before it releases.

6. ValugaTheLord

ValugaTheLord Chieftain

interesting how did you get that info xD

7. sosueme

sosueme Muckraker

This.

8. Swift777

Swift777 Chieftain

Big American consumer blaming Steam for thier own ignorance and Wal Mart's incompetence.

I got to tell ya, threads like this really make me smile. Wait in line with everybody else and quit moaning about it, you're not doing yourself any favours. Alternatively, continue moaning about it and make the majority's day :D

Scotland here by the way - 2 days 13 hours til my game arbitrarily unlocks. Oh, and I paid for it before you did.

9. strollen

strollen Warlord

As others have said, you didn't buy the game you bought a license to use the game, under the terms and conditions specified in the agreement. In fact a recent court case ruled that companies can prevent you from transferring this license to other people.

So if you wanted to sell your copy of Civ V, or an Xbox game as a used game you are SOL if the courts ruling holds up.

To some extend you can blame greedy corporations, and to some extent you can blame a large group of people who think why should I pay much for intellectual property when I can pirate. It sucks to be law abiding but...

10. Gerurun

Gerurun Chieftain

11. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

@OP they clearly warned you, that you wouldn't be able to play until the time of release.

12. Two hours eleven minutes!:eekdance:

13. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

i hope every person who supports that terrible store, that is Wal-mart, gets screwed over and has to wait.

14. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

If you intend to pick up a game as soon as it is getting released, do your research and find out exactly when it's going to be released.

Don't count on the retailer to know anything beyond a date. The date just tells them when they can put the product on the shelf and sell it. It's of no interest to them whether the product actually activates at that time.

Imagine if Wal-Mart refused to sell the game until 10AM EDT. People would come in at midnight hoping to get the game, and they would just be told "You have to come back tomorrow." Wouldn't you rather just get the game now even if you can't play until tomorrow, just to save yourself a trip? Wal-Mart did the smart thing really.

And even if they had sold it to you but told you that you wouldn't be able to play until the next day, what would you have done, told the cashier "Oh, that's okay, I'm just going to go home and come back in tomorrow?"

15. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

That's what you get for supporting crap like Steam.

And what are they for if not for when you are able to buy the game? Before crap like Steam was ever invented, if you had a game box in your hands it would mean you could install the damn thing right away.

16. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

The video game industry has changed. The business model used by brick-and-mortar retailers doesn't fit the business model used by digital retailers.
    Personally, I think it's a change in the right direction. The problem is that we cannot implement the change overnight, and we seem to be stuck between the two at the moment.

17. sosueme

sosueme Muckraker

18. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Sorry but I don't buy it. If it was changed as you claim, the guy would not have the box in his hands.

Forcing software on customer's PC isn't the right direction and I'm pretty sure that as soon as a valid alternative to Steam will show up, you'll see how long it will last.

19. Swift777

Swift777 Chieftain

Awfully quick to forget the fact that Wal Mart f*cked up, aren't we?

The release date and time was set to keep it nice and fair between digital and brick-and-mortar retailers. Don't come :):):):):)ing when you don't get to "Cheat" and play the game before the rest of us.

20. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Perhaps with PC games, but developers and publishers also have to consider their console business, which I imagine is still largely retail business