1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously...can't install the game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Madacian, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Warlord

Even tho it is in your physical posession you are actually renting the game liscense from firaxis/take 2.
    Isnt the future of pc gaming great?

2. Oneluv

Oneluv Warlord

With all due respect but how is holding the game in your hand a misconception of when the game came out. Having came out in quotes doesn't really help. The game was in his hand. It's not an unreasonable expectation to then be able to play said game. Regardless of your level of agreement his feelings are valid and very understandable. Some of this stuff really gets into goofy time.

3. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

Yeah, I see this really helping the fight against piracy.

4. sghiminini

sghiminini Chieftain

That's absolutely not true. In UK you'll be able to play at midnight on Friday.

5. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

This thread is annoying. Stop getting self-righteous about a freakin' video game. It will get unlocked at 10AM EDT, probably because that is when 2K has said they will be sure their multi-player and achievement servers will be 100% functional. Don't blame Valve/Steam.

6. Boris Godunov

Boris Godunov Prince

There's nothing "arbitrary" about a specific unlock date/time...

Walmart is entirely to blame for the predicament. They weren't supposed to sell the game until tomorrow, but they seem to have engage in their typical craptacular business practices and done whatever they pleased.

7. HamTard

HamTard Warlord

Ya it's that particular Walmart's fault for selling it early. The whole point of the unlock time is usually because Walmart and Gamestop and Best Buy demand that publishers like 2K not release their game on Steam earlier than it can be sold in stores. Since many stores don't open until 10am on the release date, they require that Steam wait at least that long.

The reason retail stores (head office, not every individual store follows the rules obviously) demand this is because they don't want people to buy from Steam since it is their competitor. Since retail still sells more copies of big games than Steam, they can leverage that by threatening 2K to boycott selling their games if they don't make sure Steam can't sell it early.

8. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

it's not released dude. Walmart screwed you over. Now go back there and buy some chinese merchandise and help out a chinaman.

9. KCMcG

KCMcG Chieftain

So are 24 hour stores supposed to hold the game until 10 AM when every other media (DVDs and other video games) are allowed to be sold at midnight? The midnight release is one of my favorite parts of the anticipation for a new game. I would have liked to be able to play this game for several hours before going to work.

10. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

Steam still reads 2 days 16 hours for UK through Steam. According to the Take2 website it should be midnight the 24th.

11. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

I am totally on-board with this feeling (I have been there), but this is another example of punishing paying customers. It no longer matters if you handed over the money for the game and have it's media in your greedy hands, it is no longer good enough. Thanks to the internet the publisher wants to be sure you bought the game and won't let you play without internet validation, and you can't validate without their being ready to validate and think you should be able to do so.

Does this need to change? IMO yes. The fact I buy a license for a game is in itself a major problem. Next Parker Brothers will be shutting down yard sales for old copies of Monopoly being sold off...

12. paradigmx

paradigmx Say yes to Steam

I've had the game installed and ready to be activated since last week, I didn't expect to be able to play it the second it downloaded and installed because I did product research and knew the game wasn't out yet and it was preloading it.

Don't blame Steam, they just follow the instructions layed out by the publisher(2K Games)

If you want to blame something, blame Walmart for selling you a game 9 hours too early, Blame 2K for wanting to make sure their support staff is at work when the game launches, and blame yourself for not researching the product your buying.

13. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Look into bright side. At least we can start playing the game at around 10 am eastern time, while UK and others have to wait a few days after we brag how fun it is to be playing this game. ;)

14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Man-at-Arms

From 2K forums:
    Also let me get this straight, USA gets the game three days before the rest of the world, and the Australians are angry that they have to pay 80$ for the game, and the americans are raging that they don't get it even earlier?

15. krunsh

krunsh Prince

Welocome to digital era. Gone are the day of dvd purchases. Had you bought the game on steam, you would have known.

Now get over it and wait like us.

16. ValugaTheLord

ValugaTheLord Chieftain

ahaha xD

This is to prevent people from playing before actual release if shops make mistake.

17. Tanktunker

Tanktunker Missionary of Hate

The release date is 21st of September, 10am EDT.
    If when you are reading this is before the release date, you cannot play the game.
    If when you are reading this is after the release date, you can play the game.

It's easy, say that when you are reading this it is 21st of September, 9am EDT: you cannot play the game.
    BUT if it's the 21st of September, 11am EDT: You can play the game.

Can I play is a function of what time is it, not a function of do I own a physical copy rather than a digital copy.

18. Selous

Selous King

:goodjob: nice post

and to add insult to injury, looks like the demo isnt coming out till the game is releasing in northamerica ... so australia doesnt get to play till the 22nd :cry:

19. Gerurun

Gerurun Chieftain

They reached parity about two years ago but digital sells more than retail now.

20. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

In my opinion 2k should not give the next game they make to Wal-Mart to sell. If they can't stick on the release dates on the products they don't have any right to sell them and get money from them. This would make an example that if they want to sell the games then they do it by the book and not how they want it to.