Setting up an MP game of friend and would like advice

BrutalusMaximus

Warlord
This game will be with 4-5 friends and we are willing to play multiple sessions to finish. The game settings will be as follows.
This is the map type etc
Ring
Size Standard
Emperor
Speed Standard
Ancient
Terrain Random
Shape Pressed
2 plots wide
Balanced
All victory conditions
Allow Policy saving
Allow Promotion Saving
ENABLE TURN TIMER
Disable Start Bias for better balance (Thoughts? Off or on?)
No Ancient Ruins
Quick Combat

The main goal I have with this set is to make the start and early game fair.

My questions.

What Civ do I want to play? (this is the big one)

Go for the 1 city NC start? or something else?

Thoughts and advice on the policy order?

Thanks

Well first off, I think you should turn off both promotion and policy saving. Promotion saving for sure. It makes wars unfair and unfun. People tend to just save all of their insta-heal promotions till they are outside your city. Just sayin......

I would go for tradition to landed elite for social policies and hard build your settlers. In multiplayer you have to focus much more on military strength so I usually go for 4 cities then shoot for the NC.

I am a big fan of France in multiplayer for the culture bonus and for their unique units which, when you get them, give you that edge over another player with same-era units.

Tech wise, I go Pottery->Writing->Bronze Working->Happiness Tech (if necessary)/Animal Husbandry (depending on surrounding tiles) then make Steel and Education my primary research goals thereafter.

Good Luck!

Well first off, I think you should turn off both promotion and policy saving. Promotion saving for sure. It makes wars unfair and unfun. People tend to just save all of their insta-heal promotions till they are outside your city. Just sayin......

I would go for tradition to landed elite for social policies and hard build your settlers. In multiplayer you have to focus much more on military strength so I usually go for 4 cities then shoot for the NC.

I am a big fan of France in multiplayer for the culture bonus and for their unique units which, when you get them, give you that edge over another player with same-era units.

Tech wise, I go Pottery->Writing->Bronze Working->Happiness Tech (if necessary)/Animal Husbandry (depending on surrounding tiles) then make Steel and Education my primary research goals thereafter.

Good Luck!

Ahh that promotion saving is a really great point! Thanks! I will for sure uncheck that.

Also I have found because of the map type/size and small number of players there is a lot of room before borders hit and before any rushes could start.

Thanks for the tips.

Good Luck!

Yes it's a strong path. Not everything is perfect, you can face a poor land or a very competent player and be rushed very hard in the beginning(Greece) or LS around turn 55.

For techs i prefer going for iron working before writting. I usually get 1 luxury tech (or 2 if possible or needed) and go for IW. Writting while last settler is going for iron, then start/rush libs to finish them all at the same time.

Top Bottom