1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Settle the Land -- Choosing a Site for your Capitol

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Skullsplitter, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Yes, that's right. What you said before wasn't wrong, I just thought it better to clarify what caused things here. I think I popped a hut with a worker before, when I had military units, and got barbs.

2. Spoonwood

56-A If playing for a 20k, I'd move to the hill on the coast. If playing for 100k, I'd plant in place. Otherwise I'd go with B. It gives you more tiles for the coastal city. The forest spot seems a little tight of spacing if you settled in place.

B-The plains. Floodplains can give you disease if you settle on them and you lose food. If playing for a 20k or 100k see A.

C-I agree with RFHolloway here.

D-Plant the city in place. You have a good start here. Just hope you don't get early disease!

E-Move both the settler and the worker and use the wheat ASAP. Even if you had just grassland instead of a forest, I would still recommend moving the worker first. You *will* (or at least can/should) use the wheat square for every turn of the game once you have it within your city radius. You won't necessarily use the forest a comparable number of turns so develop the wheat first. Saving worker turns later may make sense, but, in my opinion, not here.

3. DWetzel

DWetzel Chieftain

56A: B is superior to A, if only because if you're putting city #2 (or some other early city) on the coast, you're saving a movement turn with the settler getting there. Everything else is push more or less. In the very long term, a city 1W might actually be the most productive single city, capturing more hills to go with the cows.

56B: I'd just plop it down now, I can't see much reason to move. I'm probably eventually settling that gold hill anyway, or the plains north of it, for a fishing town.

56C: Given what you know after the worker move, why not move 2S and get the easy 4 turner? City #2 can go on the coast NE of the game and get the game and both wines. (You could reverse this but I think it's worth the moves to get the perfect 4-turner going faster.)

56D: Bleech. I hate these kind of starts. Anyone for moving E and settling and then putting a second city on the coast south of the hut?

56E: I'd just plop it and work south with my worker.

4. DWetzel

DWetzel Chieftain

Yup, this. Annoyingly, a curragh counts as a military unit for these purposes, by the way.

5. Pacioli

Pacioli Chieftain

Floodplains can also give you disease if they are in your city radius correct?

6. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Pacioli - I believe only if you work them.

templar_x

7. DWetzel

DWetzel Chieftain

I believe it's only if you're actually working the tile. (Which, if you settle on it, you always are.)

8. Spoonwood

Pretty sure they won't just from being in your city radius. But, if you have a citizen using a floodplain tile, then you can get the disease.

9. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Which makes you wonder ...

If your curragh is the only type of military unit that has been built world-wide, ...

... can you also pop a curragh from a goody hut. :confused:

:mischief:

10. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

@ LE - sure you can! from every hut on an ocean square with a probability of 50%...

templar_x

11. Spoonwood

I think LordEmsworth meant that as a joke, but just in case I've never seen a curragh from a goody hut. They aren't listed in Oystein's article either.

@Templar_X

Well, in Alpha Centauri, you can settle on water, so why not goodie huts from the fishes?

12. RFHolloway

RFHolloway Analyst in the UK

some further thoughts

56 a - you want to irrigate one of the cows, so move the worker se first - that will give you a couple of extra squares info - particularly for B

56 b - move worker to cow first - probably move the scout to the north or east given your position on the minimap - unless going for 20k you probably don't want a coastal capital.

56 c - If you are not agri the capital will make a 6 turn factory, if you are a 4 turn factory will be possible. A city to the NW of the wheat at X could share the other food resources to make at worst a 2 turn worker pump and possibly a 4 turn settler factory.

56 d - worker moves south. Settling in situ will pop the hut so no need to use the worker for that. Even if you choose not to move the boarder expansion at turn 10 should pop the hut.

56 e - move the worker to B and then have a look around.

In summary

It is helpful to know the traits of the civ (usually agri or not is sufficient)
    Usually move the scout first
    Move the worker before the settler (unless the worker isn't moving)
    Capitals on the coast are a poor idea outside 20k (palace further to the edge of the empire, whereas for 20k you want to be able to build colossus)

This is really fun - Perhaps we could do a bit of an extended version next time

1) pick a start and show it

people say where they will move the first unit to

2) you put the (most popular) options up with spoiler tags

people state how they would complete the first turn.

3) you put the revised options up in spoiler tags

People state the first few worker moves and build plan, then we can compare results.

Kind of like crackers opening plays remixed.

13. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

I usually prefer putting the capital on the coast, if one is near. My capital usually turns out to be one of my most productive cites, so I don't like the limitations inland cities have and want to be able to build anything there, if need be. As it's only a difference of a few tiles, the distance corruption is negligible. Also, at the beginning, who knows what direction one ends up expanding in or the shape of the map. Your inland city may very well end up being at the "U" end of a "horse shoe" shaped continent with a large gulf, and therefore further from the eventual center than had you moved to the coast (on the inside of the gulf). That doesn't take into account the regions you eventually conquer, either, they tend to throw the center all out of whack, any way.

14. elonin

elonin Chieftain

Spoiler :

Managed to get this start and while it is a good food producer it has it's own issue. Seems good to start in the default position. As you can see from the picture we are in the north with land ending to the north just out of the shot. The indians are southwest from me and building in my direction wanting green pastures rather than desert. The Zulu are to the east but not expanding much and not in my direction. I could build directly to the south but that involves road building across at least one mountain.

15. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Hmm. I've played this quite a ways in, but I was wondering if you guys would have settled in place or moved (I settled in place ... turns out to be an average place to live).

16. Spoonwood

I'd move near the game.

17. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

One west.

18. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Yes, avoid settling on a BG if you can, as it will compromise when you get rails.

19. DWetzel

DWetzel Chieftain

Go west, young man.

20. Spoonwood

Compromise when you get rails? I don't know what you mean. You will get an extra shield from a railroaded BG (I feel sure I could fire up a save quickly and demonstrate this if need be.) You also will get an extra shield in your city center once it reaches size 7.