Seven Seas Map Needs All Seas Interconnected

yeah, or at least close enough to use the fancy new canals

That's the whole point of this map imho. I also noticed that the map doesn't fill up as fast, plenty of room left to colonize even in the modern age. Granted this is just my first game with seven seas but I like it so far.

That's the whole point of this map imho. I also noticed that the map doesn't fill up as fast, plenty of room left to colonize even in the modern age. Granted this is just my first game with seven seas but I like it so far.
that's because there is A LOT of land compared to other maps, at least that's the impression it gives with "seas" being little more than big salt lakes

Oh this is nice, maybe I'll have to try this map next. Rolling cramped maps is boring.

Sea levels would be nice.

I was really looking forward to high sea level seven seas after I revealed all the default before i played Small Continents

I want more mediterranean less eurofrasia

that's because there is A LOT of land compared to other maps, at least that's the impression it gives with "seas" being little more than big salt lakes

In three Seven Seas starts I didn't so much notice more land as land that was harder to get to: Like lands right across a narrow sea, but the center of the sea is Ocean so to get at the City States, resources, Tribal Huts and such you had to go about 60 tiles around instead of 10 tiles in a straight line. I found the seas to be overall pretty good sized, but they break up the land masses so that it takes almost as long to meet everyone as if you were on a Continents map, and there appear to be a lot more off-shore islands big enough for city placement (4 - 6 tiles or more), which is a welcome change.
Overall, a lot more variety than other maps like Continents or Pangaea, which were my favorites before, plus the gamble of having access to, or not having access to, the straits/isthmuses where you can put a city/canal that will give you access out of your particular 'Sea' to the rest of the world.

I modded 7 seas map script to have less land and more water. Imo it turned out great on almost all rolls.

Try changing the water percent variable from 56 to 50. I also made other changes but the above is the most impactful and easy to make.

A seven seas map with the seas connected is more or less what a fractal map should be.

Well the change I propose does not make all the seas interconnected, but simply make it way more likely to be able to connect them with canals, and make small, isolated and inconsequential 'salt lakes' more rare.

If you dont know how to mod stuff then the above change is out of scope, sorry. I have a plan of making more of my personal mods available on steam when I get the time (family and work takes all my time currently), including tweaked Seven Seas.

Currently only my inland flooding mod is public.

Does having high sea level help?

I like the map I'm playing, which has several disconnected seas (normal sea level). Yes, ships can't go from one to another, but I expected that.

I would go for fractal if you want all the water connected.

What I personally dislike is if those 7 seas are just lakes with basically just 1 civ and a city state. What I want is having multiple civs on the same, small sea and having the option to connect some of them, or expand to multiple small seas. Increasing sea level slightly gives you this.

Fractal is one large sea which takes ages to traverse, which mean my navy dont really come into play with the navy of the AI.

I didn't sea an option to change sea level with this map type.

What I personally dislike is if those 7 seas are just lakes with basically just 1 civ and a city state. What I want is having multiple civs on the same, small sea and having the option to connect some of them, or expand to multiple small seas.

That's what my current map looks like.

In my test rolls with manual editing map script for higher sea level, yes.

That's what my current map looks like.

Weird, all my test rolls turned out 'bad' and seems other people experienced the same. I guess random is random :)

Edit: I had an hour of free time this evening (hurray!!) so I decided to do some work on getting my mods public and I wanted to start with this simple one. So if anyone is interested in my slightly tweaked Seven Seas map script you can find it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780010944. I recommend to also get my Inland Flooding mod f you want climate change to be 1) more impactful 2) more fair so it affect both coast and inland cities. I added a link from the above mod for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Just as a PSA: I added some comparison shots using the same map seed with and without the mod, and I also provide some highlights of differences the increased sea level gives. It makes quite the difference actually :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom