[seZ`s generic Medieval Unit thread]

Ploeperpengel said:
Any idea how to get an effect like that into the game?:D
Either particles (like dust) or simple animated billboards (like the prophet's glow), but in either case it needs to be added to the animation, which means you can do that only to new units for which the animations were done from scratch.

Rabbit said:
Wow seZ, the second contruction kit looks great :thumbsup: (you sure do love the maceman model ;))

@Chamaedrys: Heh heh, thanks, the blood and the sword trail are photoshoped in :)

thanx Rabbit ;) well, i DO love the maceman model for several reasons... the main one is, it is the most "medieval" unit and it supports gloss (ok, didnt make use of it, cause i myself dont see gloss with fx versions... why ever. But it should be easy for anyone to add one) :p

And the other thing is, by this you can apply every skin on any of the construction kits models, thats why i called it like that :crazyeye:

and well, those effects do look "nice", and if someone manages to dig into the animations, i think those would be even possible to add, but dont know if we should...

First of all, I just want to thank you for all of the wonderful units in this thread. It is all just simply amazing. The idea to have all of the skins be interchangeable is simply genius!

My question, however, is about your (imo excellent) alternative arquebusier. Is it supposed to look like this in the NifViewer?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to replace his current gun with the musket that comes with the musketman, but I'm having great difficult with that since the current rifle is at such a crazy angle.

If it is supposed to be like that, then would you be able to swap the current gun with the musket, or if thats too much trouble could you give me some hints on how to do it myself?

Thanks

Gunner said:
First of all, I just want to thank you for all of the wonderful units in this thread. It is all just simply amazing. The idea to have all of the skins be interchangeable is simply genius!

My question, however, is about your (imo excellent) alternative arquebusier. Is it supposed to look like this in the NifViewer?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to replace his current gun with the musket that comes with the musketman, but I'm having great difficult with that since the current rifle is at such a crazy angle.

If it is supposed to be like that, then would you be able to swap the current gun with the musket, or if thats too much trouble could you give me some hints on how to do it myself?

Thanks

It probably does suppose to look like that :) but that shouldn't make changing the weapon to a musket any more difficult. All you need to do is attack the musket to the same node as this gun, and if it doesn't fit in the same position and angle right from the start then just adjust it. You can check out my NIF viewer tutorials on how to do that, in this particular case (and if you already have some understanding of doing things like that in the nif viewer) I recommend the second one in particular as it deals with matrix rotations. :)

Rabbit said:
It probably does suppose to look like that :) but that shouldn't make changing the weapon to a musket any more difficult. All you need to do is attack the musket to the same node as this gun, and if it doesn't fit in the same position and angle right from the start then just adjust it. You can check out my NIF viewer tutorials on how to do that, in this particular case (and if you already have some understanding of doing things like that in the nif viewer) I recommend the second one in particular as it deals with matrix rotations. :)
Well thats what I was hoping not to hear :)

I actually already did know how to attach the musket to the mode and such (thanks to your excellent first tutorial that I went through a while back.) I was just completely daunted by the crazy angle and position it was at.

Guess I'm going to have to move on to tutorial #2 and actually learn matrix rotations (as opposed to just changing random numbers and hoping for something good to happen.) All I remember from looking at them before was the odd and somewhat painful sensation going through my poor brain :crazyeye:

Gunner said:
Well thats what I was hoping not to hear :)

I actually already did know how to attach the musket to the mode and such (thanks to your excellent first tutorial that I went through a while back.) I was just completely daunted by the crazy angle and position it was at.

Guess I'm going to have to move on to tutorial #2 and actually learn matrix rotations (as opposed to just changing random numbers and hoping for something good to happen.) All I remember from looking at them before was the odd and somewhat painful sensation going through my poor brain :crazyeye:
LOL I would first just try to put the musket into the same node, in most likelyhood the musket will match its orientation with the one of the other weapon and you'll just need to slightly readjust its position. :)

Rabbit said:
LOL I would first just try to put the musket into the same node, in most likelyhood the musket will match its orientation with the one of the other weapon and you'll just need to slightly readjust its position. :)
Well I finally did it. It was not nearly as easy as you make it sound, but it was easier than I had thought it would be. The problem is that the musket does not match the orientation of the rifle once I put them in the same node at all.

I'd really like to thank you for putting in that link in your first tutorial about rotational matrices. I found its method of doing things a lot easier than yours, not as much random guesswork. Guess its just personal perference :) It also told me how to do two rotations and combine them (the thing where you multiply the rotation matrices for the rotations you want in order), you might want to add a bit about that in one of your tutorials.

Thanks for the help

Gunner said:
Well I finally did it. It was not nearly as easy as you make it sound, but it was easier than I had thought it would be. The problem is that the musket does not match the orientation of the rifle once I put them in the same node at all.

I'd really like to thank you for putting in that link in your first tutorial about rotational matrices. I found its method of doing things a lot easier than yours, not as much random guesswork. Guess its just personal perference :) It also told me how to do two rotations and combine them (the thing where you multiply the rotation matrices for the rotations you want in order), you might want to add a bit about that in one of your tutorials.

Thanks for the help
Heh, I'm glad it worked out for you. I actually specifically didn't want to get into the actual matrix math - as you pointed out the link I put there provides plenty of good info, and putting that stuff in the tutorial would've just turned people off. :)

hehe sorry guys for my late appearence ;) i should have switched the whole model with alazkans technique to the rifleman or arquebusier nodes... then exchanging weapons would be way easier... but look at the good side, now that you mastered the rotation matrix, you can easily create anythign in nif viewer :)

woohoo ! :bowdown:

that's a great pack, thanx !
(yes I've just found this thread looking for medieval units) :D

The french and english armored men are now included in my mod (as maceman replacement), and I will surely use some others :)

but here is a little something that bother me : there are only _FX.nif in the second pack, it's running fine on my PC, but couldn't this cause some problems with older video card ?

Gedemon said:
woohoo ! :bowdown:

that's a great pack, thanx !
(yes I've just found this thread looking for medieval units) :D

The french and english armored men are now included in my mod (as maceman replacement), and I will surely use some others :)

but here is a little something that bother me : there are only _FX.nif in the second pack, it's running fine on my PC, but couldn't this cause some problems with older video card ?

it could produce some glitches yes, but i am not sure about it. But first of all, non _fx versions dont support teamcolour (it turns red at a point) and the technique i used to create these would result in dubling the work, and as long as i dont hear many cries about it, i will spend my time for creating other stuff. and perhaps time will come where someone discovers a method to create non_fx versions out of the fx version, just by some clicks...

seZereth said:
it could produce some glitches yes, but i am not sure about it. But first of all, non _fx versions dont support teamcolour (it turns red at a point) and the technique i used to create these would result in dubling the work, and as long as i dont hear many cries about it, i will spend my time for creating other stuff. and perhaps time will come where someone discovers a method to create non_fx versions out of the fx version, just by some clicks...
Actually there is... I was unders the impression that I described it somewhere but maybe I didn't so in any case I'll go over it again.

So the thing that I usually do is turn a non-fx version into an fx version, but going the other way should be just as trivial. However, there is one instance where it (going from non-fx to fx) doesn't work perfectly and now that I think about maybe going the other way would actually work better.

When I create my units I work on the non-fx version first then when it's done I do the following to convert them to FX. Select the unit's mesh and open its properties. Go to the NiProperties panel and open the texture property. If this is a correct non-fx version you will see at least base and decal maps, and possibly a gloss map. Delete the decal map and then change the base map to use the same texture as the decal map (which would be the main texture for the object). Close the texture properties window and go the Geometry panel, change the Shader to TCiv4Skinning. The object will appear pink and distorted but once you save it and reload you will see it has switched to FX version.
The only issue you'll encounter here is if the unit has gloss. In this case you would need to use the TCiv4SkinningGloss shader instead but even with that the gloss would appear static.

So going the other way should work (though I never tested that to be honest) if you just do the "reverse". Change the shader to the default one (Default Fixed-Function Pipeline), create a decal map and add the main texture to it, and put a teamcolor.bmp texture (found in Art/Shared) into the base texture. And if that works then the gloss should work just fine because there's only one default shader, it's not different for gloss and non-gloss versions.

And if you try that seZ let me know how it works out :)

Top Bottom