SGFN-06: Brits in Space

Lurker comment: I wouldn't say it's over so quickly. But I wonder why you didn't just pay some tributes to avoid war? Would anyone join your side against the Iroqois or Mongols? I'll take a look at the save file.

I have only read the turnlog, not looked at the save, but I'm happy to pronounce us dead here.
Of course it was a suicidal move to simply declare on the Iroquois. And a war declaration should be a team decision, but we weren't doing too well as a team anymore. We were losing the spirit, and team members as well.
I'm not sure everybody was up to the Demigod challenge. I believe we could have won this, but then we should have played tighter as a team.
We didn't play well as a team, there wasn't a clear team strategy, and at this level you get punished for playing sloppy.
It's not embarrassing to lose. I think even when we had played better this would have been a tough one, with this pact between Iroquois and Sumeria going on.

Lurker comment: I looked at the save file, and it does look kinda hopeless. There's practically no military, so I think the Iroquois will steamroll you. Oh well, good try guys.

We needed Iroquois troops in a war elsewhere, we were nowhere near ready for their full military might. I'm not sure we could've won this any way, but now we surely won't. If I feel brave, I may play it out to the bitter end, but probably not. If you had asked the team to decide, they would have said not to declare without some good reason. Suicide ain't pretty, but neither is a slow agonizing death. I guess it was 3/4 of the team disappearing on us that made this result inevitable.

I know it was Suicide. I pressed the button a few turns Early perhaps.

If you want to know, Iroq Troops were fidgeting on our border almost the entire turnset and all of you know what that means. No Alliance would have helped us since the AI always goes for the weaker enemies which was us.

Get a better start to get the team spirits up, and I wont Suicide.

Sorry this happened guys. I hope you are able to regroup with a better start.

I did a "retire" with the last save from before Rodent's turn and got the map picture

if you want to see what you were playing it is here
Spoiler :
[/IMG]

And I heard from Rodent, he is ahving computer probs and his CD has gone missing
he will try to get back by december

The start is always challenging at Demigod. The AI starts with an extra settler and with their bonuses the AI will outexpand the human player.
You can't simply crush your opponants by numbers anymore. Much more you have to play as a vulture, and feed off the mistakes the AI makes, trying to lure the AI into making mistakes by clever diplomacy.
The start position isn't all that crucial. What the AI does much more, or what you can get them to do. It's the AI who has the power, and it's up to the human to try and manipulate that power and let the AI do things that don't help them but help the human.

lurker's comment:

If you don't mind me adding my opinion, this game was still winnable prior to the DOW, possibly still is.

I think as a team you are suffering a lack of confidence, possibly because of a lack of DG experience; the game itself suffered from there not being a cohesive strategy agreed and implimented from the beginning.

I think it would be a mistake to drop back to Emperor on the strength of this one game; maybe looking for a better starting position would help to cushion the added difficulty.

@Overseer: do you remember what I said about TTs game being atypical of DG? Does that make more sense now?

lurker's comment:

If you don't mind me adding my opinion, this game was still winnable prior to the DOW, possibly still is.

I think as a team you are suffering a lack of confidence, possibly because of a lack of DG experience; the game itself suffered from there not being a cohesive strategy agreed and implimented from the beginning.

I think it would be a mistake to drop back to Emperor on the strength of this one game; maybe looking for a better starting position would help to cushion the added difficulty.

@Overseer: do you remember what I said about TTs game being atypical of DG? Does that make more sense now?

I agree, this was winnable, just was going to take a better strategy and better everything. England is at best a lower mid-tier tribe with so-so traits and requires a better start than we ended up with. We got boxed into a corner and the aggies ran away with it. When Sumeria and the Iroquois are #1 and #2 and are best buddies to boot, trouble is to be had with keeping up. I take my share of the responsibility, I'm used to going military, and this required a finesse and scientific strategy. Spoonwoods comments about our tech research was right on, we needed to do the upper path and stay there. I can see for any space game at this level that we might have to carefully aim for tech monopolies and trade them to the hilt for gpt back and forth other than saying that a certain game I'm involved in (another atypical DG) has really opened my eyes to the things available at DG that are much different than Emperor. If Emperor is like a bobcat or lynx, then DG is more like a jaguar, much faster, more powerful and much more dangerous. When we try this again, I think we need a top-tier tribe, Sumeria, Persia or the Maya spring to mind. I also think continents will give us a better game, where we can send out suicide boats and control the exchange of tech until Astronomy. I'd like to aim for a mid-January start, get past the holidays when people are less busy. An aside to Bucephalus, the more of DG I see, the more I realize that TT-01 was a very atypical game.

If you plan to start in Mid January, I wont be available to play. So I must request to leave this SG

If you want to be at the end of the roster and be skipped until you can play, we can accomodate that. How long will you not be available?

I think Korea makes an interesting choice. With a flood plains start things get even more interesting.

Sure Tusker, you'd be welcome to join. We can always use a good player like yourself. Korea is a finicky civ, but is a decent choice for a space game. Maybe. But Sumeria is my current favorite. I could be convinced, though.

Man up and go for the Zulu or something! :)

(Which reminds me, I have to finish my 5CC Mongol space game modeled after the ongoing succession game. Have it pretty well in hand though.)

Zulus in space....Maybe at Monarch level.....:lol:

Babylon (maybe without any civs with alphabet, maybe with though) might make an interesting choice.

Top Bottom