SGOTM 03 - Geezers

Paused for a short bit. We have horsies-but not where I would have guessed . It is on Sam's Coppertownski spot. Help:confused: -I uploaded a screenshot but for the life of me can't figureout how to get it into this thread. Any thought before I finish my turnset? We've had 2 skirmishes with Barb warriors north so far. The settler is on his way North also. SP is cottaged and the worker is chopping a forest for the galley.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 116
Paused for a short bit. We have horsies-but not where I would have guessed . It is on Sam's Coppertownski spot. Help:confused: -I uploaded a screenshot but for the life of me can't figureout how to get it into this thread. Any thought before I finish my turnset? We've had 2 skirmishes with Barb warriors north so far. The settler is on his way North also. SP is cottaged and the worker is chopping a forest for the galley.

Gyathaar is definitely evil. :) I thought we were going to send the settler round by galley? Would it still be quicker, and safer, to do that or are you so far round that you might as well continue? Looks like we'll need the worker sooner rather than later at Coppertownski. Apart from those points I don't think there's anything for you to worry about.

As for the screenshot; I believe that if you use the easy uploader (under QuickLinks) you can copy the link it gives you and then use the IMG tags to get it to display.

It looked like the Settler will get there a couple turns earlier overland. I hadn't computed the travel time for the galley from Moscow to coppertownski correctly. I think the worker can cut across. and will get there intime to chop oblisk (or now pasture horse:D )

I think this just lends further credence to Simon's site as it reduces to risk of waiting so long to get the copper.

I think this just lends further credence to Simon's site as it reduces to risk of waiting so long to get the copper.

I agree. It's a very nice bonus, it means we can found the city and build a war chariot or two without border expansion, before completing the obelisk to get the copper. It also means we may be able to get away without chopping the forest, just pasture the horses and that'll give us some production for war chariot(s) then obelisk (though chopping may give an early bonus). It does mean we want the worker there asap.

And it'll mean that'll be a *very* nice production city.

Game save here:http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm3/Geezers_SG003_BC1300_01.Civ4SavedGame

Don't think I should go turn by turn. My first SGOTM well orchestrated by the team and few suprises (other than horses:) ) Thanks team for an exhilerating experience:goodjob:

Highlights:

71/1870BC- Sailing>AH Moscow finishesworkboat>settler
Founded St.Pete>Granary
75/1750BC- Stonehenge in far away place
IBT: Beat up Barb warrior
78/1660BC- Alex adopts Slavery
80/1600BC- PopRush Settler Moscow(1pop); worker finishes St Pete cottage, moved to chop forrest in Moscow for Galley
81/1570BC- Settler>galley Settler sent North
Barb Warrior spotted north; Barb Warrior Beat Up!
82/1540BC- AH>Myst Horses found at Sam's Site
88/1360 BC-Myst>Writing; Galley chopped-sent to Coppertownski channel. Warrior started in Moscow; Worker sent across ismus to pick up Galley for transfer to Coppertownski provence. St. Pete switched to Obelisk (Granary about 1/2 finished)
90/1300BC- Settler 1 move from Coppertownski- worker 1 forrest chop waiting for galley pickup. Moscow Warrior to complete in 2? Moscow unhappy but didn't want to waste rush on warrior.

Thoughts: Need worker for Moscow/St Pete area. 2 workboats needed starting in about 20 turns. Hook up Horses ASAP -I'm still nervous:D
Didn't see any hostle movements in Alex land- no new contacts.

Also forgot to say the fogbusters are not set as I was moving them to keep the settler entertained in his travels.:)

cool, so our warriors are also troubadors?

Looks good Dagnabit! :goodjob:

I can't download the save right now, but it looks like our next builds in Moscow should be 2 workboats and a worker, I'm not sure what order because I don't know what size Moscow is right now. If Moscow is unhappy, perhaps whip a workboat, then build the other workboat while it regrows, then build a worker. Unhappiness doens't matter when building workers/settlers, the food the unhappy people eat normally goes to the production of the settlers/workers(I believe Simon actually found that out a few months ago and thought it was a bug)

Researchwise:
After writing is finished, do we want to get IW or Alphabet? I think anything else can probably wait until we get trade it out of the other civs.

Diplomatically:
Once writing comes in we should try to get OB with both China and Greece. Should we also keep exploring with workboats or send the galley off through Greco-China for exploration? With 17 AI we definitely should be able to meet at least 8 more within 40 turns.

Teamwise: Can you get it mark or should you swap with Htadus also?

Looks good.:goodjob:

Looks like we move ahead quite well. Coppertowsnki is about to be founded and horses to be hooked up shortly.

I think I would prefer IW before alphabet. Alphabet usually is researched quite late by the AI and getting rid of the jungle asap would be nice. Depends a bit on what takes how long.

Some more contacts would be nice. I am quite astonished that no other AI met us, yet.

I would be able to play on Saturday at the ealiest. If Htadus can get to it before I can swap with him also.

I agree that IW should come first. Especially as we don't really have anything to trade any prospective AIs currently. As rarely as I like to do this, I'd want IW first even if just to trade it to every AI we meet for the techs we didn't want to research.

Also, we want to have contact with more than two civs before we get alphabet because it won't really be much use before then...other than as a gateway to Literature.

Side note: We're getting to when we'll need to decide whether or not to try to build the Great Lighthouse. If we are, we should probably squeeze Masonry in right after Writing and start it up in Moscow after finishing the worker and workboats.

Yep, our situation is looking very nice. :goodjob:

Suggestion for fogbusting Coppertownski:
Obviously move warrior to the city spot before settler to make sure there's nothing in the FOW on the tile 1SW of it (ie. Thrallia's spot). Assuming everything is OK and we move settler and settle the town, immediately take the warrior out again to do fogbusting (ie. don't defend the city). I think by doing that and rearranging the current fogbusters, we should just have enough fogbusters to get the entire island covered, which pretty much guarantees Coppertownski's safety for the time being.

I suggest a chariot or two as our first build there as they'll be useful to explore the Great Unknown (a scout won't cut it at this stage, other than strictly for opening goody huts, as he'll get torn up by wandering barbs). (Though we may have to start an obelisk or warrior during the turns while we are waiting for the horses to get hooked up.)

I can't download the save right now, but it looks like our next builds in Moscow should be 2 workboats and a worker, I'm not sure what order because I don't know what size Moscow is right now. If Moscow is unhappy, perhaps whip a workboat, then build the other workboat while it regrows, then build a worker. Unhappiness doens't matter when building workers/settlers, the food the unhappy people eat normally goes to the production of the settlers/workers(I believe Simon actually found that out a few months ago and thought it was a bug)

No that wasn't me I'm afraid, though I do remember reading the thread in which someone was querying whether it was a bug, and someone else, who works for Firaxis, confirmed it was intended and gave the rationale for it.

Re builds - I agree we need workboats for St. P and Coppertownski and a worker. After that I think we'll want another settler. I also agree with IW next. Once we can get those gems hooked up, our science will really get off.

Tsk, Tsk. I always suspected nobody read my writeups. :) Now I have proof. :)

I reread your writeup, and I don't believe it says anything about a revolt to slavery ;) I think your proof is that you don't read your writeups :p

There is at least 20 turns before St Pete can grow and probably 25 for Coppertownski if the worker cocentrates on horses. I might get a worker first in Moscow then the workboats.

After worker is ferried to horses I would take the galley East to the GREAT UNKNOWN :eek: and south counterclockwise towards Grecoland. Reasoning is since we are on equator there must be a bunch of land (AIs)south (and north) of our island and staying in range of home makes it quicker for ferrying duties, i.e. troops,workers,settlers if the need becomes urgent.

Not opposed to Masonry then definately IW for the Jungles. Agree we need more contacts before Alpha. Earlier someone mentioned being leary of Open Borders with certain Civs. Don't have much experience here and would benefit from team's thoughts. Also since we are trying to be Diplo do we always give in to grumpy AI demanding things from us or wanting to trade our newest tech for 10gold. I have a tendancy to tell them to take a leap but suspect I am not always helping my cause in the long run.

I reread your writeup, and I don't believe it says anything about a revolt to slavery ;)

Pfft! Surely you understand I'm talking about the stuff I meant to put in my writeup. :) I thought everyone on the team was supposed to have a working crystal ball. :lol:

Thrallia said:
cool, so our warriors are also troubadors?

ROFL :) :lol:

Not opposed to Masonry then definately IW for the Jungles.

Not sure I understand what the purpose of masonry would be at this point? (If it's to make that stone tile productive, I believe we can mine it anyway).

I've had a look at the game and my thoughts are as follow:

1. Whip obelisk in SP and SP can carry on building the granary.
  2. Start workboat in Moscow for Coppertownski.
  3. Transport worker to Coppertownski in galley. Galley can then start exploring the Great Unknown.
  4. Great Lighthouse is probably not worth it atm. Bear in mind that only Stonehenge has been built so far. Even the Oracle's still up for grabs :eek:
  5. After the workboat in Moscow I think we should get a granary so that it can regrow faster after each whip. After that, well there's just so many things. :) Another worker, chariot(s), barracks, galley etc. but i think library is best, perhaps even before the granary.
  6. I agree with IW after Writing. Skip Masonry for the time being. As we're down to 90% science it's probably best to use binary science now.
  7. I do think it would be helpful if we could get a warrior in our cities so that they waste less food growing.

We are about to have 5 seafood hooked-up and only 1 galley. It wouldn't take much for an AI or Barb galley to do some severe damage to our food production. With 17 AI, it can't be too long before we see some boats snooping around.

Top Bottom