SGOTM 03 - Team CFR-V

I like good risks for good rewards! In this particular case, what is the possible benefit of exploring NW first?

I believe there is sacred purpose behind trying everything reasonable to avoid mineless capital :D , so imho the risk is justified. 2 turns on epic monarch wouldn't make such a difference anyway.

I've generated 10 maps with similar settings, with GH's and all victories enabled, though, and took №9 & №10 for a test drive just to get the feeling.
Both times The Oracle was built relatively late - 800-900BC. It was possible to get CoL for free and even CC if I had slightly more accurate plan. AI's have enough space for 3-4 descent cities each. 6-7 of them are reachable by a WB right away, another 5-6 after opening borders. Therefore Writing has a huge importance for us. Another interesting thing I've noticed, AI's aren't eager to build wonders but units (aggressive indeed :) ). 4-5 archers in every city don't make me happy. But the general attitude towards HP doesn't seem to be seriously affected by their aggressiveness.

The maps are attached, you're very welcome to test them or to generate some new ones and share your thoughts.

Attachments

• SGOTM3_Test_maps.zip
    294.2 KB · Views: 83
So do you think we're more likely to find those hills by exploring NW instead of E-NE? I can't tell for sure before the savegame is released, but the plains NW of the scout appears to be a coastal tile with water to W, NW, and N (and maybe NE too).

So do you think we're more likely to find those hills by exploring NW instead of E-NE?

No, I think the only hills we will gain (if we gain them) are those we can see right now. But in total we will reveal more tiles by scouting with both settler and scout.

the plains NW of the scout appears to be a coastal tile with water to W, NW, and N (and maybe NE too).

W, NW and N are definitely water tiles, I doubt about NE. The hill N of the scout just doesn't look like a coastal one to me. We should postpone scout moving decision until we determine this.

No, I think the only hills we will gain (if we gain them) are those we can see right now. But in total we will reveal more tiles by scouting with both settler and scout.
Revealing the maximum possible number of tiles on T1 is not a purpose in itself. I think we're in agreement that the only likely city locations are in place and E,NE, right? The factor that would tip the scales in favor of the E,NE spot is the availability of seafood near the E coast. This is what we need to know on T1, nothing more, nothing less. Even though it is possible to reveal a greater number of tiles by delaying the city, these wouldn't influence our settling decision.

As for me the best way for scout: E-NE. First of all me need to find good place for capital, so lets scout go NE - our island have more land only on this direction.

I think, that we can move Settler even 5 turns (but onky if scout find some early-luxure resource (Gold/Silvel/Elephants/Gems) on North), and place near start was stay for second city...

Actually when I'm thinking about it once again, moving scout E will not reveal the entire coast, just 2 out of 4 tiles. 2E and SE-E. 2SE and 2SE-S will remain fogged. Moving settler will reveal one additional tile with possible resource.

Moved E. Opened fish and one more calm. Looks like good place for capital, but now in this case we'll lose all initially visible resources. :lol:

I think that now we must stop and think some more.

About turn:
As for me the best place for capital is 2E+1N from start. 1Fish + 1Spice + 2FP + 2Hills.
---
sorry for mistake

I think that now we must stop and think some more.
About turn:
As for me the best place for capital is 2E from start. 1Fish + 1Spice + 2FP + 2Hills.
You mean E-NE. I agree. It was an initial thought and now it looks like an optimum spot. I think we can move settler there already.

E-NE looks like a nice location. One thing I don't like is that it would prevent us from founding a second city in the south, because the distance would be less than 2 tiles. Why don't we move the scout further NE on top of the plains hill, and see if there is any more hills up north. If there's at least 1, settling on the plains hill will give us a good 2-hammer city center with 2 more hills for production, and leave the starting spot open for our next settler.

Good. I've moved scout NE and settler E-NE. Screen.

Let's discuss and wait for Dynamic to continue this overresourced spot. :rolleyes:

Looks like Pyramids is not impossible as we think earlier. :king:

BTW, I can not upload the save for 4000BC. System say thet I can not upload a new start file. :lol:

Seems it needed to make end of turn and upload save for the beginning of next turn.

Good. I've moved scout NE and settler E-NE. Screen.

Let's discuss and wait for Dynamic to continue this overresourced spot. :rolleyes:

Looks like Pyramids is not impossible as we think earlier. :king:
Agree.

About next turns:
I hope, that some more resources are on NW and N - we already have high concentrating near start position and usually concentrating of resources change smoothly non-in discrete. So I propose to scout some more to find the best place for capital (no more than 3-4 turns) and planned place for second city.

Don't we have stone as well? "I be dam'd!" (Though marble would've been completely uber.) This changes things and we're going to have to rethink them from the beginning. How very convenient that we've got time while Dynamic is out of town.

While we're at it, here's the batting order for team CFR-V:
Dynamic
Witan
JCricket
kaiser
Balbes
Cat Behemoth
Bair
Unikum

Well, we have a strong production capital (and if there's metal in one of these hills...), and something very close to a super GP farm in the 2nd city. That much is clear. Research order and build order will have to be replanned from the ground up. Our priority is getting a settler out ASAP.

Btw good scouting CB! :)

If the island proceeds, I would set Settler on N. Then, We have - Stones, a hill, Clam, a wood.:lol: We lose - spices, FP.:( I find it is more. If the island comes to an end, on a place. 2 city to put too a place it is necessary. But on N much more favourable. It is necessary to move a scout. I think N-NE.;)

Of course IMHO it's a must to move the scout first. But it's difficult to say what he have to found to prevent us from building capital 1 tile north from current settler location. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom