• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

SGOTM 04 - Murky Waters

Perhaps not right now, but it will have to be soon. Remember that the AI is not very competent at offensive wars when there is water involved. Even if we leave GC undefended Gandhi may not capture it for quite some time.

It also won't take many units to keep Gandhi inside GC and not out pillaging. 4-5 units on hills close by should do the trick. Then, when we want to give away other cities we can make a trail of workers right up to them.
If you feel confident about that, then let's go for it. I would keep the triremes around to plug things back up after he takes GC, though, and have the defenders in place in advance.

Maybe you or Erkon could propose a dot map showing what you consider a workable defensive stance?

You are all a bunch of peace-mongers. One longbowmen on a hill next to GC is enough to keep G inside the city walls. Then we put a berserker on the pigs. That's enough. Each turn we delay the gifting of GC is a turn delayed for G to capture our last city on the continent. And that leads to one turn delay on his spaceship you wasters!!!

BTW, do you recall the tune to Handel's Messiah? You can find it here. Don't miss the MIDI-link at the top if you don't recall the lyrics. Now, replace the words with:

I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a whae-hae-hae-hae-ster!

Happy easter to all of you...

You are all a bunch of peace-mongers. One longbowmen on a hill next to GC is enough to keep G inside the city walls. Then we put a berserker on the pigs. That's enough. Each turn we delay the gifting of GC is a turn delayed for G to capture our last city on the continent. And that leads to one turn delay on his spaceship you wasters!!!

BTW, do you recall the tune to Handel's Messiah? You can find it here. Don't miss the MIDI-link at the top if you don't recall the lyrics. Now, replace the words with:

I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a waster!
I'm a whae-hae-hae-hae-ster! lol, very good...

Happy easter to all of you...
Happy Waster to you, you Easter.

And Happy Easter to you too!

So get on with it, pop that settler, gift GC, kill our points graph. Doom us.

Do it now!

...and good luck finding Easter eggs with GK waxed on them!

I'm a bit concerned regarding our cultural borders. It will take a while for Gandhi to push the border of GC to get hold of the gold. Also, Gandhi is building windmills on his mines. So, if we build Brown City for him, he will probably buils windmills instead of mines. And G won't get the sheep until CF is his. Should we still build BC, or is the window closed?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 76
Maybe we should wait until we can afford to give up CC also?

Should we we build BC and take some 10-15 turns growing and mass producing improvements (mines) before we give it to him? Or risk G building some city in some horrible location.

I'm a bit concerned regarding our cultural borders. It will take a while for Gandhi to push the border of GC to get hold of the gold. Also, Gandhi is building windmills on his mines. So, if we build Brown City for him, he will probably buils windmills instead of mines. And G won't get the sheep until CF is his. Should we still build BC, or is the window closed?
I have envisioned 2 or 3 different patterns of us releasing our cities to G. While we're developing the new homeland, what do we keep for hammers? What do we keep for gold/research?
  • GK is hammer poor, so I assume we'd want at least BC/CF for ourselves for some time to come.
  • GK is a great research center and with slavery can produce some units as well.
  • MW is an interesting case: 1) Its culture is a big problem for G; 2) It's an opportunity for us to palace jump once or even twice (MW>Karak>Bibracte or Isabella-capital?), if we know or can figure out the mechanics of palace jumping.
  • Palace jumping to Karak gives us an awesome research capability for now.
  • Palace jumping to Bibracte allows us to ignore CHs for now and build the FP in Isabella-Land later, for example.
  • CHs in GK Land allows us to maintain two centers for a while.
Your concern may show why CRC has the double hitch--GC now, MW later. Maybe they came to the realization that without giving up MW, GC wasn't going to get any gold.
  • GC's primary function right now is as a G foothold, not a commerce producer. GC will have fish for growth.
  • CC will be G's first commerce producer from us, but that also may not free up any of the gold. So G gets the gold when we're ready to abandon MW...big deal. All the more reason to conquer Brennus asap.
  • G doesn't need BC for the time being, it may be useful to us as a unit producer, and it will never cause G cultural problems.
  • We don't need to worry about G building windmills--we can always send a wkr/rifle stack to rebuild the mines, right? :lol:
  • BC and CF we can give up at the same time, but later.
We definitely should mull over the big picture a bit, but I don't see any reason to wait on your idea. Poprush the settler, raze Barb City, build BC, give up GC. I think it's a perfect plan. Erkon, you're an idiot a genius! (Aren't they known to possess similar 'symptoms'? ;) )

Maybe we should wait until we can afford to give up CC also? That has been my thinking too. But I suppose it doesn't hurt us or G if he gets GC as a foothold, right?

Should we we build BC and take some 10-15 turns growing and mass producing improvements (mines) before we give it to him? Or risk G building some city in some horrible location.
Definitely not. He'll build it on the coast and not have nearly as many hammers. I say we do your first alternative.

BTW, it looks like your choice of putting GC on the coast was a good one for us and for Gandhi. :goodjob:

LC - What mechanism about palace jumping? Is there anything else we need to do apart from building the palace where you want it?

We can't build mines (or any other improvement) outside our culture... ;)

BC will give us lots of units, so I prefer if we can hold on to it for a while.

Turn 0 update:

Traded sugar to Brennus for 6 gpt
Whipped a couple of cities
Assembling forces for multiple attacks

LC - What mechanism about palace jumping? I'm talking about losing our capital, so the capital is automatically established in some othercity. In CivIII you could manipulate it to make it happen in the city you wanted.Is there anything else we need to do apart from building the palace where you want it?

We can't build mines (or any other improvement) outside our culture... ;)

BC will give us lots of units, so I prefer if we can hold on to it for a while.

Turn 0 update:

Traded sugar to Brennus for 6 gpt
Whipped a couple of cities
Assembling forces for multiple attacks

Do you want me to gift Compass to Brennus?
I think it's risky. I'd rather know for certain that he won't have Macemen when we get there.

EDIT: I haven't checked Brennus' land. Ifitwill be easy to cutoff his supply of iron and copper, then we maybecould risk it.

Turn 1 update:

Gandhi sends a trireme-galley pair out of his capital. I don't attack, since I predict he has a settler and will settle on the Gandhi peninsula. That would solve a lot of problems for us.

Otherwise, I killed a stray GK longbowman. I'm moving one army east and the other S-W.

Mechmed will trade theology and 20 gold for CoL and Construction. Yes?

It's not trivial to block Brennus metals. He has two iron and one copper. And horses and ivory.

Turn 1 update:

Gandhi sends a trireme-galley pair out of his capital. I don't attack, since I predict he has a settler and will settle on the Gandhi peninsula. That would solve a lot of problems for us. I disagree. He cannot settle where we want him too. I don't like that.

Otherwise, I killed a stray GK longbowman. I'm moving one army east and the other S-W.

Mechmed will trade theology and 20 gold for CoL and Construction. Yes?

It's not trivial to block Brennus metals. He has two iron and one copper. And horses and ivory.
Right. Keep him backwards.

My point was that he will settle NW of CC, isn't that good?

Anyway, we have more important stuff to discuss. Schrodingers Cat has escaped. Why do I always have to stall after two turns???

I will upload the save (Gnejs, perhaps you don't understand this trade diagram :p , but it means that Gandhi, Hannibal and GK has optics, and that they have met)

I promise, all I did was to trade me Theology. I'll kill that butterfly.

Turn log
Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 680 AD to 710 AD:
Turn 212, 680 AD: Clearing a Forest has created 44 ? for Old Sarai.
Turn 212, 680 AD: Gandhi has 6 gold per turn available for trade
Turn 212, 680 AD: Genghis Khan has 3 gold per turn available for trade
Turn 212, 680 AD: Marble City will grow to size 7 on the next turn
Turn 212, 680 AD: Old Sarai will grow to size 4 on the next turn
Turn 212, 680 AD: New Tech(s) to trade: Gandhi, Mehmed II

Turn 213, 695 AD: The enemy has been spotted near New Sarai!
Turn 213, 695 AD: Murky Waters's Swordsman (6.60) vs Genghis Khan's Longbowman (3.64)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Combat Odds: 96.2%
Turn 213, 695 AD: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 213, 695 AD: (Combat: -25%)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Murky Waters's Swordsman is hit for 16 (84/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Murky Waters's Swordsman is hit for 16 (68/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Murky Waters's Swordsman is hit for 16 (52/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 213, 695 AD: Murky Waters's Swordsman has defeated Genghis Khan's Longbowman!
Turn 213, 695 AD: Your Swordsman has destroyed a Longbowman!
Turn 213, 695 AD: You have discovered Theology!
Turn 213, 695 AD: Marble City has grown to size 7
Turn 213, 695 AD: You have trained a Berserker in Cape Fish. Work has now begun on a Settler.
Turn 213, 695 AD: Old Sarai has grown to size 4
Turn 213, 695 AD: Isabella adopts Theocracy!

Turn 214, 710 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Besh!
Turn 214, 710 AD: The enemy has been spotted near New Sarai!
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker (8.80) vs Genghis Khan's Longbowman (4.80)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Combat Odds: 97.1%
Turn 214, 710 AD: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 214, 710 AD: (Combat: -25%)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker is hit for 14 (86/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker is hit for 14 (72/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 26 (74/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 26 (48/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker is hit for 14 (58/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 26 (22/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker is hit for 14 (44/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Genghis Khan's Longbowman is hit for 26 (0/100HP)
Turn 214, 710 AD: Murky Waters's Berserker has defeated Genghis Khan's Longbowman!
Turn 214, 710 AD: Your Berserker has destroyed a Longbowman!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 67
My point was that he will settle NW of CC, isn't that good? Sure, that would be fine as far as I can tell.

Anyway, we have more important stuff to discuss. Schrodingers Cat has escaped. Why do I always have to stall after two turns???

I will upload the save (Gnejs, perhaps you don't understand this trade diagram :p , but it means that Gandhi, Hannibal and GK has optics, and that they have met)

I promise, all I did was to trade me Theology. I'll kill that butterfly.
GK will continue to trade with G, having met Hannibal. Wehn GK meets one more AI, then 2 others will have to know the tech, not just one. No biggie, life goes on.

What are your concerns? We just continue as planned...

Looked at the save. Seems fine to me. Watch CF because the build flipped automatically to settler (we want galleon).

Otherwise, I can see you have every intention of maxing out our WW...enjoy!

Top Bottom