SGOTM 15 - Xteam

I met Hammuragawa in the northwest very near the location of our Warrior up there.
The original Toku (Japan) appeared from the southeast

The second Toku (Babylon) in the northwest.

Tested the following:

Switched build to warrior for five turns, which gets warrior out same turn city grows to size three and one turn after corn farmed, then started settler. (Like this approach.)

Switched research to AH.This will complete research several turns before settler comes out.

I think this can improved by researching Hunting before AH. Hunting finishes while the worker is moving towards the deer. One turn later, he is camping the deer.

Warrior is followed by settler. The settler finishes 1 turn before AH. He can take one move towards the gold site. Before he gets there, we will know if there are horses there. Even if there is not, I think I would still head there with the settler to beat Tofu to the site. With the deer and corn online, we can get a second settler build for a western site if the horses show up there.

After the deer is camped, then I sent the worker down to the grass hill. He has it mined shortly after the settler completes. At this point, we have three improved tiles to build a second worker or second settler while the first worker hoofs over to improve the sheep.

Don't think we should play past AH, as the presence (or absence) and location of horses will determine what to research next and where to settle next city. With horses available, BW is not immediately needed. If Wheel is needed to hook horses, then Wheel, then Masonry probably the way to go. Without horses, then BW should probably be researched next and fog busting becomes a serious concern.

I agree with this. If we see horses, then wheel is next for sure. We will need it for trade routes and to connect the stone.

I played the hunting first scenario out a bit further to see if barbs became a problem.

City 1: warrior -> settler -> warrior (pop to 4) -> worker -> warrior -> warrior (pop 5) -> settler -> worker
City 2 went near the gold: warrior (pop 2) -> worker
City 3 went to gems, settled turn 57.

Worker 1: farm corn -> camp deer -> mine river hill -> pasture sheep at city 2 -> mine gold -> mine hill at city 2 -> connection roads
Worker 2: mine hill at city 1 -> farm flood plains -> head towards city 3 site
Worker 3 and 4: Connecting roads

Research was Hunting -> AH -> BW -> wheel -> pottery (could do masonry as well)

Finished with 7 warriors, 4 workers, 3 cities at turn 57. With this many fogbusters, barbs have not been an issue.

I never revolted to slavery. We could whip the third settler sooner, but there really is nothing good to put the overflow into.

Here is the outcome:

View attachment hawks test through turn 57.CivBeyondSwordSave

I think this can improved by researching Hunting before AH. Hunting finishes while the worker is moving towards the deer. One turn later, he is camping the deer. Close call. Camped deer on grass hill is very useful tile. One disadvantage is that we will not be abe to build warriors after we connect a metal. Given that we are going to be teching in the direction of Monarchy (to get Oracle and perhaps OR), this carries some concern. Plus, there are no more tiles in view that will require a camp, and mining the deer (after BW and chopping) is not a bad alternative that does not require turns spent researching Hunting.

Warrior is followed by settler. . . . Even if [the horses are not around], I think I would still head there with the settler to beat Tofu to the site. With the deer and corn online, we can get a second settler build for a western site if the horses show up there. Concur, this may be a risk (of barbs) worth taking. The warrior in the area needs to explore it further to make sure there are no more resources within a potential fat cross that includes the sheep and gold.

After the deer is camped, then I sent the worker down to the grass hill. He has it mined shortly after the settler completes. At this point, we have three improved tiles to build a second worker or second settler while the first worker hoofs over to improve the sheep.
Not sure that this is optimal. If we mine the grass hill and leave the deer alone, then we have three improved tiles and a fourth really useful one.

One disadvantage is that we will not be abe to build warriors after we connect a metal.

I did get 5 additional warriors built in this short test... there really isn't much else to build while we grow pop. Also, if we are planning to use HR to grow population, we will need health resources as well. If I count correctly, the capital will be -2 health (without deer and assuming chops) once we build a forge.

If we mine the grass hill and leave the deer alone, then we have three improved tiles and a fourth really useful one.

It is a useful tile, but it could be a good one. +2 bread is a lot to give up. We return on the beaker investment 31 turns after we finish hunting.

I played again and wrote down some dates for comparison. I have not tried the non-Hunting route yet (will try later today). However, I am skeptical it will keep up. Not only does the extra food from the deer speed settler and worker production, it also speeds pop growth while building warriors.

I did tweak second city production in this game. I built warrior-warrior-worker, vs. warrior-worker. This delayed the fourth worker by one turn but allowed growth to pop 3 and got me an extra warrior.

Turn numbers for comparison:

26: warrior -> settler
27: Hunting -> AH
35: settler -> warrior (pop 4)
36: AH -> BW
38: city 2 founded, builds warrior
38: warrior -> worker
43: worker -> warrior
44: warrior -> warrior (pop 5)
47: warrior -> settler
49: BW -> wheel
53: settler -> worker
56: city 3 founded, builds warrior
57: worker -> warrior (pop 6)
58: warrior ->

city 2:

38: warrior
48: warrior -> warrior (pop 3)
50?: warrior -> worker
58: worker ->

city 3:

56: warrior

Hawk. I agree with you that the growth will be much more significant with extra food but the crucial path is getting the horses and copper secured asap. Those are the true limiting factors with aggressive AI and religious animosity.
Wondering how much those factors are mitigated by this strange map.

I did get 5 additional warriors built in this short test... there really isn't much else to build while we grow pop. Also, if we are planning to use HR to grow population, we will need health resources as well. If I count correctly, the capital will be -2 health (without deer and assuming chops) once we build a forge.
Are you factoring in a granary, pigs, and sheep?

Hawk. I agree with you that the growth will be much more significant with extra food but the crucial path is getting the horses and copper secured asap. Those are the true limiting factors with aggressive AI and religious animosity.

I agree, so I think the quicker we can get two settlers built, the better. My assumption is settler one heads for gold, regardless of location of horses. In both scenarios, the horses are identified before we settle gold. In both scenarios, the copper is identified before we complete the second settler. Bottom line, the hunting first scenario does not slow down hooking up a resource. The critical path is building the settlers, not completing the research to find the resources. If anything, it will speed up our access to a resource because we will have more workers sooner (to road and mine/pasture).

CP said:
Are you factoring in a granary, pigs, and sheep?

I tried to, but I miscounted. It is actually -3, not -2. Game currently has 7 health and 6 happies.

- Health: 7 - 3 forests chopped + 1 pig + 1 sheep + 2 corn - 1 forge = 7
- Happy: 6 + 2 gem + 2 gold = 10

By the way, I missed one milestone in my notes. I researched Masonry after Wheel. It was complete on turn 57 or 58, so my workers were about to go quarry the marble for the 6th pop in the capital. I was just starting pottery.

CP said:
One disadvantage is that we will not be abe to build warriors after we connect a metal. Given that we are going to be teching in the direction of Monarchy (to get Oracle and perhaps OR), this carries some concern.

This is the one concern I see with hunting first. One mitigation is building lots of warriors before pottery comes in (at which point we build granaries). The main question in my mind is how far can we grow before we run out of food.

Also, as Htadus points out, we do face potential of an attack from an AI. We will want to build axes/spears for protection. I would prefer building spears rather than cheap warriors to provide happies under HR. We will need them to protect from marauding chariots.

Wondering how much those factors are mitigated by this strange map.

For all we know we may be sitting right on top of copper or horses. (I hope not) But I would like to not assume neil was generous with mil resources. He did make us go a long way to get copper last time.

@Hawk.
I see the point you are making about gaining on the techs due to earlier units=earlier improvements= faster techs. Also the reduction of a turn to AH and access to archery if needed. This may warrent further tests beyond the two cities. But again the limiting facts going to be tech rate of the fake Deity Toku that is out there.

BTW all. This game is going to be a masters class of learning how AI operates. Assuming all AI leaders will be a form of Toku, will they all follow the same tech paths or do the AI play the map? Also will be interesting to see how each Toku behave with other Toku's when they found there own religions and converts accordingly. I feel like that kid in the disney commercial. "I am too excited" waiting for next session report.

BTW all. This game is going to be a masters class of learning how AI operates. Assuming all AI leaders will be a form of Toku, will they all follow the same tech paths or do the AI play the map? Also will be interesting to see how each Toku behave with other Toku's when they found there own religions and converts accordingly. I feel like that kid in the disney commercial. "I am too excited" waiting for next session report.

You and me both. I really appreciate it when the scenario creator puts in creative, non-standard stuff. Especially since it is a lot more work for him/her (testing for balance, etc.). For a SG, I think it adds an order of magnitude more discussion since we have to toss aside the cookbook. Also adds to the learning opportunity. :goodjob:

"I did get 5 additional warriors built in this short test... there really isn't much else to build while we grow pop." What about a barracks?

I agree, so I think the quicker we can get two settlers built, the better. My assumption is settler one heads for gold, regardless of location of horses. In both scenarios, the horses are identified before we settle gold. In both scenarios, the copper is identified before we complete the second settler. Bottom line, the hunting first scenario does not slow down hooking up a resource. Hawk, is this still true if we need to research the wheel (before BW) to hook horses? The critical path is building the settlers, not completing the research to find the resources. If anything, it will speed up our access to a resource because we will have more workers sooner (to road and mine/pasture).

Interested to learn your take after testing the non-Hunting approach.

"I did get 5 additional warriors built in this short test... there really isn't much else to build while we grow pop." What about a barracks?

Yes, Barracks could also be built. My goal was to focus on warriors for fogbusting and cheap MPs for future cities. If we decide we don't need so many, barracks would be another option for growth periods.

CP said:
Hawk, is this still true if we need to research the wheel (before BW) to hook horses?

Good question. I am not able to test at the moment, but looking at my notes, I don't think there would be much delay if horses are available at the gold site but they need to be roaded. If we are lucky enough to get horses at the gold site (and within the inner 9 tiles), we would follow AH with wheel (instead of BW). I assume ~7-8 turns to research it. 2 of these turns, the settler is moving to the site, so 5-6 turns to research wheel after settling the city. During this time, the worker could be pasturing the horses. He then could road once wheel is done. Having said all that, this is happening from turns 38-45 or so. I don't think barbs will be a threat yet. I would rather pasture the sheep before the horses anyhow (so city 2 grows faster).

If there are no horses and we need to research BW, there will be no delay in hooking the copper. In my plan, I completed wheel before the 3rd city settled. (This assumes we will build a second worker before the third settler. If we get in a panic and decide to build a third settler with only one worker, then there might be a delay from researching wheel.)

CP said:
Interested to learn your take after testing the non-Hunting approach

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I will. I never had time today and I am leaving on a business trip tomorrow. If I get a chance before I need to leave, I'll test a bit, but not sure I will have time.

Tested the no-hunting-route and attached my best shot at it (T57). :crazyeye:

Research: AH-Wheel-Masonry-BW-Pottery.

I mined the stone!

Tried to get gold city connected fast, and in some tests Hinduism spread before T57.

I don't think barbs will be a big problem with this map, but did build 7 warriors for comparison. ;)

View attachment Ghandi BC-1720 T57 test 4 no hunting z3.CivBeyondSwordSave

Autolog:
Spoiler :
Logging by BUFFY 3.19.003 (BtS 3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 21/500 (3160 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:22:26]
Delhi begins: Warrior (5 turns)
Research begun: Animal Husbandry (12 Turns)
Research begun: The Wheel (12 Turns)
100% Research: 10 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
0% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

Turn 22/500 (3120 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:22:56]

After End Turn:
Delhi's borders expand

Turn 23/500 (3080 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:23:00]

Turn 24/500 (3040 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:23:04]

Turn 25/500 (3000 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:23:20]
A Farm was built near Delhi

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 3
Delhi finishes: Warrior

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Roosevelt(Ottomans) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 26/500 (2960 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:23:23]
Delhi begins: Warrior (5 turns)
100% Research: 11 per turn

Turn 27/500 (2920 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:23:58]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Roosevelt (Ottomans) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 28/500 (2880 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:03]

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 4

Turn 29/500 (2840 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:07]
Delhi begins: Settler (10 turns)
100% Research: 12 per turn

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Christianity founded in a distant land

Turn 30/500 (2800 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:22]

Turn 31/500 (2760 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:30]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Animal Husbandry

Turn 32/500 (2720 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:37]
A Farm was built near Delhi

Turn 33/500 (2680 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:24:56]

Turn 34/500 (2640 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:25:04]

Turn 35/500 (2600 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:25:11]

Turn 36/500 (2560 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:25:15]

Turn 37/500 (2520 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:25:19]
A Mine was built near Delhi

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Settler

Turn 38/500 (2480 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:25:37]
Delhi begins: Fast Worker (5 turns)

Turn 39/500 (2440 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:26:28]

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: The Wheel

Turn 40/500 (2400 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:26:51]
Research begun: Masonry (7 Turns)
Bombay founded
Bombay begins: Warrior (15 turns)
100% Research: 14 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 0 in the bank

Turn 41/500 (2360 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:27:36]
0% Research: 0 per turn
100% Gold: 11 per turn, 1 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Fast Worker

Turn 42/500 (2320 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:27:50]
100% Research: 14 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 12 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior 2 (Delhi) (0.88/2) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.1%)

Turn 43/500 (2280 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:28:56]
Delhi begins: Fast Worker (5 turns)
A Pasture was built near Bombay
100% Research: 15 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 9 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior (0.80/2) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 95.6%)

Turn 44/500 (2240 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:29:39]
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 6 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Tokugawa(Japan) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 45/500 (2200 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:29:56]
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 3 in the bank

After End Turn:
Bombay grows to size 2

Turn 46/500 (2160 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:30:07]
Bombay begins: Fast Worker (10 turns)
80% Research: 13 per turn
20% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Masonry
Delhi finishes: Fast Worker

Turn 47/500 (2120 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:30:56]
Research begun: Bronze Working (11 Turns)
Delhi begins: Warrior (2 turns)
80% Research: 13 per turn
20% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

Turn 48/500 (2080 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:31:21]
A Mine was built near Bombay
100% Gold: 20 per turn, 0 in the bank

After End Turn:

Turn 49/500 (2040 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:31:48]
Delhi begins: Warrior (2 turns)
100% Research: 23 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 20 in the bank

Turn 50/500 (2000 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:33:04]
100% Research: 25 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 17 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi grows to size 5

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior 2 (Delhi) (0.96/2) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.5%)

Turn 51/500 (1960 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:34:05]
Delhi begins: Settler (7 turns)
A Quarry was built near Delhi
100% Research: 28 per turn
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 14 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior 3 (Delhi) (0.98/2) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 78.7%)

Turn 52/500 (1920 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:35:10]
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 11 in the bank

Turn 53/500 (1880 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:36:04]
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 8 in the bank

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Bronze Working

Turn 54/500 (1840 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:36:28]
Research begun: Pottery (4 Turns)
0% Gold: -3 per turn, 5 in the bank

After End Turn:
Bombay finishes: Fast Worker

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Ghandi(India) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 55/500 (1800 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:46:22]
100% Gold: 24 per turn, 2 in the bank

After End Turn:
Delhi finishes: Settler

Turn 56/500 (1760 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:46:23]
Delhi begins: The Temple of Artemis (15 turns)
0% Gold: -7 per turn, 26 in the bank

After End Turn:
Bombay finishes: Warrior

Turn 57/500 (1720 BC) [31-Jan-2012 11:47:53]
Bombay begins: Barracks (13 turns)
Vijayanagara founded
Vijayanagara begins: Barracks (50 turns)

Good result.

In my test, I delayed marble until after BW (assuming we don't find horses and need to find copper). However, I think you are right about the barbs. Getting marble and stone done sooner will make a big difference. Let me try that variation on hunting first.

I tried hunting first with marble and wheel before BW. Definitely better than my earler test.

Here is the turn plan in case someone wants to try variations to optimize it. (I forgot to note when AH ended and Masonry began.)

start turns.jpg

At turn 57, here are the tradeoffs with zamint3's no-hunting approach:

• My 2nd city settled earlier and has one pop more than zamint3's. I assume I pastured the sheep a few turns earlier.
  • In my game, BW finishes as the 3rd settler is in transit to gems. If copper appears in another direction (and we decide we need it), then we might lose a couple of turns diverting the settler. I believe zamint3 had copper visible before he needed to commit the settler to move. (PS. I don't think barbs are an issue. Even if copper appears in another direction, I would argue settling gems next anyhow.)
  • I have completed a mine in city 2, zamint3 is still mining it. It will complete in 1 turn, but he has no pop to work it.
  • I have an extra grass hill mined in the capital, zamint3 has farmed the FP. I did not need the FP farmed since I had 4 bread from the deer.
  • I am running at 23 hammers to zamint3's 17. zamint3 will add 3 hammers in 6 turns when city 2 grows to pop 3. He could mine the hill in the capital, but would have to sacrifice growth to use it (he needs to work the FP).
  • zamint3 has roaded the three cities together, I am still roading
  • With the trade routes, zamint3 is running at 32 beakers to my 30. I will add 3 beakers in 3-4 turns when I've completed roading
  • zamint3 has 1 turn left on pottery, I have 3 turns left. However, I have hunting completed, so to this point I've had more total research. (zamint3 must have just recently finished the roading.)
  • zamint3 has a worker on the pigs in city 3, mine is in transit. He will have the pigs up 2 turns before me.
  • I have a quarry on the stone, zamint3 has a mine. If we want to build wonders, zamint3 will need to quarry the stone.
  • I get health from the deer. Not a factor yet, but maybe later.
  • We both have 4 workers and 7 warriors.
  • zamint3 has 16 hammers into ToA (doubled for marble), I have 13 into an eight warrior.

At a high level, I'm half of a tech ahead and have higher hammer production. zamint3 is running at a higher beaker rate, but I will close this shortly. I also have stone available for wonders. I think my outcome is better. However, it means we will not be able to build cheap warriors. If we end up building a lot of warriors, then zamint3's approach will pass mine by.

So the questions to consider:

• Given aggressive AI in another religion, do we want spears for defense?
  • Do we think we will need a lot of MPs under HR? Will health become the limiting factor?
  • Do we need stone for wonders?

Top Bottom