SGOTM 17 - Maintenance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a trouble shooting guide to installing buffy somewhere?? One of our members is having issues getting the install to work. Do Buffy and Bat work together or was Bat included in Buffy. I am sure someone has some answers.

BUG is part of BUFFY (it contributes the 'BU'). BAT is not part of BUFFY, and cannot be run with it - at least when playing xOTMs.

The following exploit is banned in SGOTM17:

Diplomatic Bonus Exploit

Liberating\gifting a city to a Civ you are at war with other than in a peace deal is banned as an Exploit. Repeated use of this tactic can result in diplomatic bonuses that are unbalanced.

I have added the above exploit to the banned list in the main xOTM forum sticky.

I suggest that teams suffering staff shortages currently should assume that we shall review the deadline later, and perhaps extend it by a month, if this will enable you to include turn sets by more players.

Liberating\gifting a city to a Civ you are at war with other than in a peace deal is banned as an Exploit. Repeated use of this tactic can result in diplomatic bonuses that are unbalanced. [/SIZE]

To be clear, is it banned to liberate a city outside of a peace deal period? Or is it the repeated liberation of the same city or multiple cities banned?

The reason I ask is that very often, I've seen players gift a city to an AI to get them to pleased status so that they'll OB, trade techs or avoid a DoW. Depending on the culture situation in the city, this city gift may actually qualify as a liberation. So it's possible that this ban may, in certain circumstances, eliminate this somewhat common form of diplomacy of gifting cities. Keep in mind that building a settler, planting it somewhere, and then gifting (or liberating) it to an AI has an opportunity cost associated with it; nothing is gained for "free" in this situation.

As I read the description, you have to give the city while you are at war with the recipient, without making peace, in order for the gift to qualify as an exploit. Your cases sound like peacetime gifts. Am I missing something?

I didn't realize that you could give anything away in the trading window while at war. As far as I know, you have to be at peace in order to gift/liberate anything. If you can give away cities while at war, something that I've never tried nor thought was possible, then the ban becomes much more clear.

Note that you can declare war, take many cities from an AI, sign a peace treaty (or CF) and then liberate all of those cities back to said AI and get the same diplo bonus that this ban appears to be addressing. So I guess I am unclear as to exactly what this ban addresses...

I didn't realize that you could give anything away in the trading window while at war. As far as I know, you have to be at peace in order to gift/liberate anything. If you can give away cities while at war, something that I've never tried nor thought was possible, then the ban becomes much more clear.

Note that you can declare war, take many cities from an AI, sign a peace treaty (or CF) and then liberate all of those cities back to said AI and get the same diplo bonus that this ban appears to be addressing. So I guess I am unclear as to exactly what this ban addresses...

Yeah... I'm confused. I can't imagine wanting to do what the rule literally prohibits (city gifting *during war*), and yet if I did the same at peacetime I would also get a diplo bonus that some might regard as unbalanced.

Sorry, you'll have to wait for Swede to come by to discuss this in detail.

I believe it was banned in HoF, and we are simply catching up for xOTM. The words we have used match the HoF definition, but maybe there is more discussion over there.

Yeah... I'm confused. I can't imagine wanting to do what the rule literally prohibits (city gifting *during war*), and yet if I did the same at peacetime I would also get a diplo bonus that some might regard as unbalanced.

It is possible to do while at war... about the same way you would liberate a colony. It is possible to liberate the same city multiple times, at least 1 per turn, if you really set out to. The city is gifted empty of garrison units, and you can get it back the same turn using 2-move units. The diplo bonus +2 gained is cumulative, so you can get a civ who is at war with you to "friendly"status without much difficulty (just a lot of tedium).

However, there could be situations you would want to give up a city to end a war, even if it is one you previously gifted away during peacetime (for whatever reason) and recaptured. Therefore the ban is only against gifting a city to a civ you are at war with when it is NOT part of a peace treaty.

Peace treaty would force at least 10t forced peace during which the AI would presumably be able to garrison the city, making you earn anything you might gain; and negative diplo for multiple DOW is also cumulative, effectively negating this as a way to exploit it for diplomatic benefits--without banning any of the basic functions of the game.

I'm only explaining this so you understand why it is BANNED. Now that you know how and why a team might look to use such an exploit... forget it, because you will be disqualified if you do it.:scan:

NOTE: This exploit has not been used by any team in SGOTM17, but the exploit was brought to our attention by participant(s) so we want all to be informed about the ruling before anyone gets ideas...

Just reminding that its the first of May, and the original deadline was set at June 22. We've committed to being flexible about the deadline, but don't take that as permission for UNNECESSARY delays. Looking at the power curves, you all seem to be finally getting down to business. Carry on!

:trouble:

About four weeks left on the original deadline - who needs an extension? How long?

About four weeks left on the original deadline - who needs an extension? How long?
FE are almost done. But since we're magnanimous if anyone needs it we can concede it. ;)

I don't think Maple Sporks will need an extension, but for the common good certainly won't object to it if proposed.

PR. We are about 75 turns behind FE. We have 4 turnset players now so things have slightly improved. If FE estimate is about right we could have anywhere around 100 or so turns left to play over 28 days. Assuming we can match their great finish.

2 more weeks might help. Perhaps delay decison for 2 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom