SGOTM 20 - Misfit Gypsy Nuts

I like marble and MC from Oracle. It is easy and clean. However, I still think with all the religions prefounded, we may be able to pull something more valuable from the Oracle.

My other concern is that with the religion line having less value, what WILL the AI's tech? They could beeline military, would we be prepared?

Peter is very close, what about stealing a worker and knee capping him early. Farm some workers from him later maybe. We know we are going to need a lot of cities eventually, Peter's capitol should be better than most. ;)

I would build roads with the worker at this point and when there is nothing else to do.

Good to see lots of conversation, keep it up! Sorry I'm not more involved.

I think that on top of the marble looks superb. Make a run for the Oracle get MC as Ororo suggested. Once the triremes are cleared away and the city has a lighthouse it will be at something like +14:food:/turn, which sounds great for a GPFarm.

Normally, having a GProphet wonder built in the GPFarm would be annoying, but in this case we at least get some extra value out of GProphets.

I think settler build at size 2 is an ok move. Hopefully we can make do with our current set of defending units. Usually at this point in the game we would take some time to simulate in the test game the fastest way to city #2. If some of you have time, that would be useful.

I assume h1 will continue playing up until the birth of the worker? We don't need to wait for simulation results for this part.

Not much to add but settling the marble is a nice city site.

Also quite happy to farm workers from Peter.. :) We will need a nice military unit for this though. Hopefully we will see some horses pop up.

I think settler build at size 2 is an ok move. Hopefully we can make do with our current set of defending units. Usually at this point in the game we would take some time to simulate in the test game the fastest way to city #2. If some of you have time, that would be useful.

With the information that we are close to the center of the map, my initial test game is not going to work very well. Too little room to the north. If I have time in the next day or so I will try to put together an updated test map with all the new terrain info, so we can simulate accurately.

I assume h1 will continue playing up until the birth of the worker? We don't need to wait for simulation results for this part.

- Do we want to send the warrior south or north?
- How aggressive do we want to be with the archer? Stick only to defensive terrain, or risk moving on open ground to reveal more tiles?

snip
- Do we want to send the warrior south or north?
- How aggressive do we want to be with the archer? Stick only to defensive terrain, or risk moving on open ground to reveal more tiles?

I am fully waffling at this point on the warrior direction.

Archer definitely defensive terrain!

Aaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh..... stupid computers.. :lol:

Mines gone from fine last night to dead this morning!!!! So no access to the game but I'm hoping its something very simple (I can cope with that.. ;)).

Still from what I saw last night warrior to scout North of SL. Need to see the terrain there and keep the archer defensive.

No sense risking the archer to explore areas that we don't really need to know about right now. We need to keep a secure defense in the south while we focus on settling All the Marbles.

Time enough to explore the south when we can do something with what we find.

dV

OK, it sounds like several favor sending the warrior north to explore the land between us and Peter, with others neutral/waffling. So north it is. Similarly, it looks like most favor being pretty cautious with the archer.

I will play some more turns, hopefully until the worker is finished. But who knows what "interesting" things might happen in ths game?

On the marble site, how are we going to expand borders there? We need the border pop to get the second cow in the BFC for more food/hammers.

Played 3 more turns. "Interesting" things just keep happening. :lol:

Turn 5 (continued)

- Warrior starts heading north

Turn 6

- Barb warrior appeared next to the archer, so he fortifies in the fort.
- Scout is scouting east of Peter, some nice land. And yes, Peter is on the coast.

Turn 7

- Barb warrior vanishes, so archer moves NE to the hill. Spot orange borders to southeast.
- Scout scouts, warrior moving north.

Turn 8

- Archer moves SE and we meet...

Spoiler :

Our fellow Ottomans, explains the weird color scheme. The key thing is that Suleiman HATES us: -20 relations from past events. This is going to cause problems.... Note that we have a trade connection to Suleiman -- I believe this means he must have Sailing tech. No resources are available for trade yet, not surprisingly. Not that he would....

The world as we currently know it. The south:

Spoiler :

The barb city is probably on an island, although there might still be a connection to the east. We have another dry (currently useless) farm at the old burned city.

The north:

Spoiler :

A nice cluster of resources east of Peter. Maybe it will draw his first settler?

Demographics:

Spoiler :

The main change here is that 8 of our 9 AI rivals have grown to size 2, and rival best and average food have jumped significantly. The AIs' starting workers really give them a huge early jump.

BUFFY log:

Spoiler :

Turn 5/500 (3800 BC) [14-Jul-2014 08:34:58]
100% Research: 9 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
0% Gold: 0 per turn, 0 in the bank

Turn 6/500 (3760 BC) [14-Jul-2014 08:35:01]

Turn 7/500 (3720 BC) [14-Jul-2014 08:37:17]

Turn 8/500 (3680 BC) [14-Jul-2014 08:39:46]
Player contact made: Suleiman of Ottomans

Upload log:

Spoiler :

Nothing! :lol:

How do we want to proceed?

- How to allocate our EP? We have 12 so far on Peter, do we continue on him to gain his demos? Split between Peter and Suleiman? All on Suleiman?
- Unless the stray barb reappears, I suggest SE on the road. Then either back NW, or maybe W or even SW depending on what is seen. Probably head back in the direction of the fort to keep an eye on that area, and for safety.

We are going to have pressure from two sides, so getting a couple settlers out rapidly to claim some land before we get boxed in will be critical. And deeply negative relations with Suleiman are going to be trouble. :( I hope we have some horses or copper somewhere accessible, or our military situation is going to be very unpleasant.

We have trade routes because of the road I would guess.

The Elephant in the south may prove to be a very valuable resource as well.:ar15:

I would "retreat" the archer to the fort.

Since we will never repair relations with Suleiman, he should be our first target for worker steals imo. EP here also.

Do we suppose that the orange border (so much for my Catherine hypothesis) is Sul's second city? Does that make him less likely to go further west to the ivory, at least right away? How badly do we want the ivory for ourselves?

dV

Why would it be his second city? There is no way he built a settler already is there?

Doesn't he start with an extra settler, or am I confused about start units?

And maybe that square looking border on the screen is messing with my head.

dV

Edit: Deity has two settlers, not immortal. Never mind ...

At Immortal difficulty they get everything except a second settler. ;)

The borders we see are definitely Suleiman's capital (and only city). All the AIs showed 1K pop after turn 0, and rival best pop is now at 6K (size 2) for 8 or 9 AIs. The 9th AI still has 1K pop -- building a settler at size 1, maybe? Since they start with a worker, I can't really see the AI building another at size 1, but who knows with the crazy AI sometimes? :crazyeye:

Good point on targeting Suleiman for worker stealing, assuming we can get an appropriate unit to do so.

That is interesting.

I am very keen for us to get BW and locate and secure a source of metal. Since Suli is useless as a trading partner it would be great to take him out ASAP. I suppose AH + horses could do the job as well.

I'm nervous about the archer continuing south. Wasn't there a suggestion to fortify him in the fort for a while? That spot is only a couple of turns walk from our city, in case we get threatened.

That is interesting.

I am very keen for us to get BW and locate and secure a source of metal. Since Suli is useless as a trading partner it would be great to take him out ASAP. I suppose AH + horses could do the job as well.

Fortunately our planned tech path of AH -> Mining -> BW to improve our capital also reveals the two key early military resources. :D The critical question is just how evil Pollux has been with the map -- are there going to be any horses or copper within reach?

I'm nervous about the archer continuing south. Wasn't there a suggestion to fortify him in the fort for a while? That spot is only a couple of turns walk from our city, in case we get threatened.

I was thinking of using the road to go SE-NW next turn, to reveal a few more tiles on Suleiman's border. Then we can return to the fort -- I agree that we need to keep our archer safe. The AIs already have a significant power advantage over us. Losing our strongest unit would be a sizable setback.

If no one has time to test, you might as well play to the completion of the worker.

I'm not sure more scouting with the archer is as important as locking down the fort/road to our capitol.

Well, it's not like our alter ego will attack us any time very soon, while likely the initial barbs in the area have perished by now. Hence I'd move archer SE-SW-NW-NW back to the fort. My 2 cents for today. :)

Top Bottom