SGOTM 21 Pre-Announcement Discussion Thread

Got a scenario idea where Slavery and Caste is penalized and there is also some similarity to an advanced start. No special rules or restrictions are required.

The player and the AI are given the following techs: Democracy, Pottery, Writing. The player is also given contact with all AI and a lump sum of 600-900 gold. Deity level. Any VC except religious.

The idea is that the AI will adopt Emancipation thus putting a happiness penalty on Slavery and Caste System. Democracy also enables US and will make the teams consider what to do with the lump sum: Rush buy Settlers? Workers? Granary? Library? Keep the money for later research?

Yeah, probably better to make the city coastal and add Fishing+Sailing rather than Writing. Possibly put the Cap on an island with limited space.

Hmm.. everybody starts with Democracy, player is in isolation and starts with optics (AI don't). Send caravel to meet the other AI asap (and be forced into emancipation), or first develop your own empire in caste/slavery? (No extra gold for US rushbuys).

I'm going to assume that we've settled on a January start, since the sign-up thread for SG20 was launched approximately 5 weeks before the game started and here we are a week and a half from December.

So, is the sign-up thread coming any day now? Or is there more work to be done?

I'm going to assume that we've settled on a January start, since the sign-up thread for SG20 was launched approximately 5 weeks before the game started and here we are a week and a half from December.

So, is the sign-up thread coming any day now? Or is there more work to be done?

Yes, we are doing a January start per consensus in this thread.
Due to staff RL commitments we are planning for January 10 start.
We will open the sign-up thread on December 10.

Yes, we are doing a January start per consensus in this thread.
Due to staff RL commitments we are planning for January 10 start.
We will open the sign-up thread on shortly afterDecember 10.
We are still planning a Jan 10 start for SGOTM21. The announcement / sign up thread will be posted in a few days.

Any updates on dates for announcement of the new game?

Thanks BSpollux. I think everyone appreciate the thought and efforts you all put into this game.

It's open, and stuck. You were very quick off the mark!

What level should a person be playing to be able to contribute to an Immortal game? I'm really intimidated by the idea of playing something that high - I know a team helps a ton but don't really want to play if I'd totally need to be carried without being able to contribute.

I also am having computer problems so may not be able to make January start either way but just kinda wondering on what people think of the level to see how rushed I should be about getting my computer and Civ to stop fighting.

I think it depends upon your comfort level as we have had beginners play before. I have seen those beginners make good contribution as they stuck with the discussion and came up with unique ideas.

Please consider joining up and doing the best that you can, no one could ask more. :)

What level should a person be playing to be able to contribute to an Immortal game? I'm really intimidated by the idea of playing something that high - I know a team helps a ton but don't really want to play if I'd totally need to be carried without being able to contribute.

I also am having computer problems so may not be able to make January start either way but just kinda wondering on what people think of the level to see how rushed I should be about getting my computer and Civ to stop fighting.

I didn't play Civ4 in ages, and when I did I never played above prince. But I thought the idea of the SGOTM was interesting and I joined and I was able to help.

It may seem as if only the players with the most knowledge of the game would help the team, but that's not true. The vast majority of all problems and decisions will be explained and discussed. Once they are explained everyone has the facts and it comes down to being more like a puzzle. Example: You want to attack an enemy and you have to decide when to declare war. So you need to find out how quickly you can get your units in position and how long it takes for your cities to
finish the last wave of up-to-date units they are building. And when will these units arrive at the front. Everyone knows all the facts (movement speed, building times etc) and it comes down to careful planing maybe the question if you want to wait two more turns for one more catapult or whatever. So your skill level isn't important.

You can also help the team just by keeping a clear head and stepping in if your team loses track of the goals and follows a plan that has long lost its purpose. Or maybe you are good with worker planing, or maybe you are a mind reader and can guess the mapmakers intentions well. Or you motivate the team by being active and friendly. There's a million ways to help.

And: The game runs for several months. After a week or two you will have caught up to your teammates, as they explain every decision. So even if you need training there's enough time to train you and for you making yourself useful in the same game.

About the computer problems: The game is long. If you need a while to get your computer in shape that's no problem. You just tag up, read the thread and take part in the discussion. Experience shows that the start is very slow anyway, as basic strategic decisions have to be made. The first turn will take days in most games.

If you are unsure, go to the signup thread and ask which team want you and there will be people happy to tag you up for sure. The community is very welcoming.

Top Bottom