SGOTM 23 - Lurker thread

On another topic, Dhoom and Xteam seem obsessed with WFYABTA counters. They are trying to get to Alphabet without meeting most of the AI. I understand that it's a factor to consider, but they seem to be in danger of getting Alpha and not being able to trade anything. Also, how many techs are you really going to trade in a game with Monarch difficulty? Hatty is the only one who could keep up past the Medieval era, and most teams are more interested in taking her research power by force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bspollux thoughts on Hatshie would be interesting, did you expect / intend that teams will grab her wonders & great cities early? :)

It is one of many ways to play this map. Lets wait for the teams to find out if it is the best one.

Sure looks like Ants & Phoenixes both go for Hatshie.
Helps that she's a really weak AI, like warrior + WC as city guards ;)
I think both teams will conquer most of the map easily with HAs, did not read other threads yet.

Ants impressed me with getting a warrior scout into Egypt around half the map, really well done.

Some screenies from various teams (that's allowed, Bsp?)

PR attacking Egypt, planning to skip Memphis and going for Thebes:
Spoiler :

Grand prize Alexandria
Spoiler :

Scouting Joao's units & building more HAs
Spoiler :

Turbo Ants already have Thebes, Hatshie did the same with her great scientists in Alexandria for them.
Spoiler :

They gifted her Hamburg, which they captured from Freddie so she lives on and they can get her techs:
Spoiler :

Unallocated have not attacked an AI yet, but are also building HAs.
They settled double Fish + sheep before Freddie.
Spoiler :

Unusual Suspects did settle their 4th city at south fish + fur
Spoiler :

Xteam are building 2 settlers, and tech Alpha like most other teams did.
Nice placement of 2nd city.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Alexandri.jpg
    Alexandri.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 479
  • lisbon.jpg
    lisbon.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 515
  • pr.jpg
    pr.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 484
  • hamburg.jpg
    hamburg.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 440
  • us.jpg
    us.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 458
  • unalloc.jpg
    unalloc.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 433
  • thebes.jpg
    thebes.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 439
  • xteam.jpg
    xteam.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 460
Hmmm..sorry for the not working screenies, not sure what's going on there will look if i can fix that.
(ty for notifying ChrisShaffer)

Uploaded them new, let's see if they stay..if not i might have to look for filesharing sites again.

Looks like PR is reconsidering their strategy : conquest is the bottleneck not research.
They expect a victory in between T140~T150

On the other hand, TA seem confident in a quicker victory before T130 :eek:
Does someone see the logic here ? I am game blind because of fracking buffy incompatibility :(
Are they planning another victory type like AP cheesu maybe ?

If i dare comparing PR and TA games ;)
I would do so this way:

Phoenixes have their main army (Knights, some HAs) on Kublai borders now
Spoiler :
We can also see an attack on Sal is ready, Knights vs. Archers :)
Spoiler :

Meanwhile TA did already attack Gandhi (and Ottomans on the way) around ~7 turns earlier, and will capture Delhi next turn. We can see chinese borders are not far from there
Spoiler :
Great conquest planning, by reaching further away AIs (esp. Mao) quicker they relief pressure on their unit movement plans later.

Imo Phoenixes did spend a bit too much time on Russia, having not enuf units ready to take his many cities without delays.
TA know their 12 city Stalin is no problem, cos he's close on their borders.

TA almost completely ignored buildings in their cities besides granaries, here's their Paris with no Academy or Forge and only 4 cottages
Spoiler :
They have only 2 libraries total (other in Alexandria, Glib city) and 0 (!) forges. Captured Pyras are so good with Rep, not more needed.

Phoenixes i counted 7 forges and more other stuff like libraries as well.
It's very possible that those differently used hammers result in what we can see on screenies, earlier army and smart movement = very likely 10+ turns faster finish date for TA.

And Phoenixes now also have protective Mao with Feuda and Longbows, i am glad they realised they need much much more army some turns ago.
But for catching TA, it will still be too late :)

Attachments

• pr.jpg
    pr.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 366
  • pr2.jpg
    pr2.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 363
  • ta.jpg
    ta.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 377
  • ta paris.jpg
    ta paris.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 344
Thanks Fippy :goodjob:

Indeed forges and courthouses seem to have been a distraction.

So, a few months ago I predicted 1080 AD as the overall winning date. I was somewhat disappointed no one decided to join in and make a prediction. However, now that it's clear I have once again underestimated just how much better these teams are than me, I'm just as glad to have both the best and worst prediction.

We talked about HA rushing but the idea didn't stick. :(

Clearly the fastest route!

Immortal level AI would have made it a little more interesting in my opinion, but it was a fun scenario to play all in all, thanks BSP!

Forgot this was monarch difficulty, hadn't really thought about it since early on. :blush:

More capable AI would have made it a better challenge was my point.

Great game BSP! I don't think I have anything to complain about. It's only a good idea to make this game much easier than the last SGOTM. The difficulty should be a variation factor according to me and those long play game are still a challenge otherwise every team should end up at the same victory date.

I just hope that Xteam makes some stupid misstake so that we could get the :trophy3rd:. Does anyone known any possible victory date for them? I tried to read their posts but Dhooms post are just so loooong and I didnt find a long term plan there yet.

Great game BSP! I don't think I have anything to complain about. It's only a good idea to make this game much easier than the last SGOTM. The difficulty should be a variation factor according to me and those long play game are still a challenge otherwise every team should end up at the same victory date.

I just hope that Xteam makes some stupid misstake so that we could get the :trophy3rd:. Does anyone known any possible victory date for them? I tried to read their posts but Dhooms post are just so loooong and I didnt find a long term plan there yet.
I've followed them enough to say that there is no long term plan right now. As for screwing up... they attacked Stalin without anywhere near the army they needed. Maybe they can salvage the situation, but I would say that was a poor decision.

A little disappointed to see interest in lurker thread has dropped off like the number or teams has. :sad:

Five days left. Maybe we (US) will get gold if no one else finishes. :mischief:

We had fun. Liked the map.
We were too much builders. Talked a lot about early war, chariot rush, axe rush, HA rush; but each set we reevaluated and it was pushed back. I was only one suggesting we attack Hatty. Glad it was viable. Our spy was caught on 2nd turn in her city. Losing missionary early set us back.
Two lucky things: Joao built GLH and Hatty peace vassaled to us.

I think SG is worth continuing, as long as we have map maker and two (or more) teams.

Top Bottom