[BTS] SGOTM 27 interest.

Fingers crossed for a new game in new year!! Come on Civ community we can do this!! Another idea is to set up a game where saves are stored in the thread. This would require a lot of trust. Could they still be uploaded to GOTM server as saves? Main downside here is we would not get the lovely charts on culture, power and score. Plus not get a site at end where people could compare saves and dates. Number crunching at end to compare close games can be a lot of fun.

I think biggest issue here is the unknown of what is happening in the back ground. I can understand this as they won't want to raise hopes. Guess we should be glad for all the amazing games we have had on here and being part of such a great community that is so welcoming.

If it becomes clear staff are unable to run a game would people be interested in something slightly different? For now maybe give the powers here a chance to give some sort of indication on what is happening. :)

If admin staff don't have the resources to run a fully moderated SGOTM an option would be a non-moderated honour based alternative (perhaps similar to RR16 in SG sub forum).

If the top players (WT, Fippy, etc) are playing it would be close to impossible to cheat and beat their teams anyway. The fun is the competition and the pride of winning fairly. We’re a relatively small group now. I would trust us to play under the honor system.

I thought the whole point of these games was to break the system. :D

Is there a count of the number of players interested?

Phoenix Rising - Gumbolt, Lymond, Fippy, Elitetroops and Tonny
Home Slices - WastinTime, Kaitzilla, LowtherCastle, MirrorGuard, Mitchum.
Others - Kostja, Jnebbe, Jmas, Konata_LS, Pigswill, Soundjata, RRRaskolinikov, Drewisfat, Edarga, Nicktrofimuk, linkdinkin, Sittindown, Cactus Pete
Possible 23 people iterested. Maybe Pangea too.

Enough for 4 teams?

Do we wait for mods or try to set up a game on another part of the forum?

Its a reasonable guess that no-one's going to be setting anything up this side of Christmas, probably not all year. If we haven't had some input from The Staff :bowdown: before 2022 we'll be looking at a more informal arrangement.

Its a reasonable guess that no-one's going to be setting anything up this side of Christmas, probably not all year. If we haven't had some input from The Staff :bowdown: before 2022 we'll be looking at a more informal arrangement.
Wouldn't an undertaking like this kinda require staff involvement, though? At least on checking saves and such? Don't think regular people can check whether turns have been replayed and so forth in Buffy. I guess they have special tools for that.

A gentleman's agreement is nice and all, but would be nice with some oversight.

Also, isn't there a history now of pretty unique scenarios/maps? Was it always like that? In that case somebody must make a fitting map too.

Pangaea: it would be better to have a proper SGOTM but that depends on staff resources. Otherwise it does depend on people playing honourably (no replays, no sneaking a look through WB etc) if people want to cheat they will but I reckon the vast majority of people would rather play honestly.

There's another issue about getting a scenario and map together.

The final issue is of course building teams, I'm sure Phoenix Rising will want another opportunity to rise from the ashes, maybe Home Slices too.

Maybe keep PR and HS intact, but create 3-4 other teams out of the rest of the people, with a captain / draft style system?

What do people think about more, but smaller teams.

1) Once the forum gets away from you on a big team, it's too hard to get back in, and you just drift away from the game. We started with 6 people last time, but only 3 really participated by the 2nd half.
2) With more teams, there's more competition. PR and HS are way above the rest of the crowd. It was clear 1/4 of the way in that we were going to finish in last place, and there was nothing to do about it, so most of the competition was just avoiding the dishonor of a Did Not Finish.

I like this idea. Let’s discuss it again after we beat the living daylights out of Fippy’s team. :mischief:

So sometime in 2050 for the new rules? :mischief:

We'll be happy to help to help you with any of the big words on next game description that you might not understand. Such as extinct and scarce.

Top Bottom