SGOTM2 Germany - Team Bugsy

Alright! R&L is back on line. Denyd & G-man are having romantic evenings (well at least one is :D ) Is this a great team or what!

Well gents, once again we are the last team playing. We need to try and wrap this up this weekend.

1550 – 0
Reset prefs. Note location of Chin transport.

IBT: Battlefield Medicine built in Paris. Paris > Mass Transit in 4. Disease in York. Kiev Police > wealth. Tons of bombers & panzers built. Berlin 2 harbor > wealth.

1555 – 1
Dortmund will expand in 20, Chartres in 32, Dijon in 5 may be a problem, Leibnizgarten in 13, New Koeniggsberg in 26. No other border cities will expand in the relevant future.

1560 – 2

IBT: Besancon MTS > cathedral in 5. India begins Shakespeare.

1565 – 3

IBT: Frankfurt MTS > wealth. Munich police > wealth. Heidelberg court > wealth. New Frank factory > bank in 4. J Cruise market > wealth. Russia starts Shakespeares.

1570 – 4

Don't know what to do with all of the extra tanks, transports, etc.

Bugs, take it from here. I'm out of time for the weekend, and given the need for a quick finish...

OK, I've got it. I'll try and get it played tonight.

Please don't feel under any pressure to finish quickly. You are fine for time.

Pre-flight – 1570 AD - 18 Tiles from Domination. UN was built in 1540 AD. 20 turns would put the next vote in 1640 AD – Six turns early would make it 1610 AD when we want to start the war. Move some units towards China. Set up several workers on auto pollution clean up.

Early turns - We research Rocketry and start upgrading panzers. Renew the MPP with Cathy. Build the Manhattan Project China settles the northern island – good idea. Renew the MPP with Gandhi and give him rubber in the deal. Get our crew of workers out of India. These turns were mostly airlift units and transporting across the bay. I crank lux tax up as high as possible.

1610 AD – Make sure we’re clear of Chinese territory. Declare war. Start moving towards Beijing and bomb the city.
1615 AD – Kill four citizens in Beijing. Kill off the wave of units that marched north into Japan.
1620 AD – Beijing’s pop is now 12. Kill off all the healthy units in the city.
1625 AD – Beijing is captured. Gonna push on to the vote. Mostly just hitting enter.
1645 AD- No vote? Build Shakespeare’s. Press on and hit enter a few more times.
1655 AD – Hold vote.

We’re magnificent. Final Firaxis 6355, Jason 7998 That’s 11th place .

It’s been fun gents. If someone else wants to write a spoiler, that’s fine. If not, I’ll write one by Wednesday.

Nice finish Admiral Bugs - That 11th place includes being behind a bunch who didn't go for the variant - hopefully few went variant. What's funny is I don't think we had any mistakes in this game. All of our wars were successful and we conquered the home island without too much delay. Our people seemed happy and our tech pace really had limited delays and we managed to get Russia to help out a couple of times.

See you all in SGOTM3 (or another SG)

looking at some of the other threads, i'd say the main mistake we made was not leaving someone around that would vote for China. based on my new understanding of how the AI decides to hold a vote, we probably should have kept England or France in the game, constantly furious at us, so we could have won a 3-2 vote when China held the 1st election. instead, we had everyone gracious and in our hip pocket, so China didn't hold the vote and our victory was delayed by 20 turns.

Nice finish :goodjob:

It's a mystery to me under which circumstances the AI holds an election.

It's also a mystery why I couldn't load the last saves. I have checked my hardware and all seems to be ok. So that was not the problem.

Nice finish Bugs! Thanks for picking it up. Now that we're done, I'm planning (operative word) on going back and analyzing the turns of the teams who beat us in the period 1000BC - 1000AD to see what they did. This is the range of where each team "rounded the corner", and so should provide some insight as to how they achieved a greater slope on their point growth - for future planning.

Leibniz - glad to hear that there are no HW problems. Keep trying, and let us know how it works out with the SW. Maybe a corrupted DLL file?

13th is tomorrow, so we should get our rosters and posting sites, correct?

R & L - I think that would be a very worthwhile exercise. I think I will do likewise. If I ever get some time today => I hate Mondays. It should be very instructive.

Yes, tomorrow is the day. Any preferences for order of go?

I'm going to be out of town 7/15-7/18, so please schedule me accordingly.

Thanks

Bugs - Cancel my intentions. See I. Larkin's post in Spoiler #2. He is obviously WAY ahead of me! The good news is that it seems only three other teams went for the variant. The bad news is that Peanut beat X Team by 31 turns, and did it WITHOUT conquering the UN city. They won in an AI-called vote - apparently by NOT establishing aliances with the AI teams. Also, Grahamiams note from above applies.

An interesting move to note was "Misfit's Gambit" as performed by Team Scout. Brilliant move to fit the variant.

@ Denyd - Why don't we plan on having you lead us off again. Does anyone else have any holiday plans?

No vacation plans until October.

Top Bottom