SGOTM7 - Team Darkness

Wow, things are looking bad :eek:

striq .... good luck.

Edit: We need to get some troops fast. Things are looking grim if this continues, and they'll just keep sending more troops.

Cyan Fargo said:
670BC- Instanbul builds settler, Sinop builds worker, Edrine warrior moves to Uskudar, Mulga founded
650BC- Kafa builds worker
630BC- Iron Working discovered, begin research on Mathematics, Antalya builds settler
610BC- Ankara builds worker, Denizli built on ruins of Konya
How come you didn't switch these workers to troops as soon as we're under attack? It might have helped us some no? :confused:

Our only chance: Switch all cities to horseman/swordsman, except Edrine. If we can not clear our island soon this game is over... :(

Darkness said:
Our only chance: Switch all cities to horseman/swordsman, except Edrine. If we can not clear our island soon this game is over... :(
Now, when you say our island, are you talking about just that section that we're on or are you talking about taking down the arabs as well? Cuz the first part is doable at the moment, but I'm not so sure about the second part :p

@berserks01: I meant kicking off the Zulu. ;)

Neccessary actions
- Start building horseman in all cities except Edrine (and possibly Istanbul)
- Switch off research: Generate as much money as we can, to upgrade our warriors in Bursa
- When we have an army of about 5 swordsman and 5 horseman attackt the Zulu. 1 city at a time!

ROSTER:

striq – On deck
berserks01 - Up next
Tomason
erpcon
Cyan Fargo

If we are lucky enough to obtain a Great Leader, should we build an army or complete the Great Library? If the answer is to complete the Great Library, what is considered the break-even point where creating an army would be better. In other words, if the Great Library could be built in 5 turns, would you still build the Great Library?

It appears that earlier in the game we allowed the barbarians to ransack our cites. Was this because it is cheaper to allow the ransacking than to build warriors just to have them killed in combat?

erpcon said:
If we are lucky enough to obtain a Great Leader, should we build an army or complete the Great Library? If the answer is to complete the Great Library, what is considered the break-even point where creating an army would be better. In other words, if the Great Library could be built in 5 turns, would you still build the Great Library?

This game is in conquests, so any MGL we'll get can not be used to rush a great wonder.

erpcon said:
It appears that earlier in the game we allowed the barbarians to ransack our cites. Was this because it is cheaper to allow the ransacking than to build warriors just to have them killed in combat?

yes, that or we couldn't get warriors there in time.

The reign of lord Striq was fraught with much frustration over the complete lack of a defnesive army to combat the rampaging Zulu forces... here is the blood and gust of it....

Turn 1 : IT:Zulu capture worker, Archer kills warrior.
Switched production to horsemen, Aydin switched to spearman. Our warrior kills a zulu archer.
Turn 2: IT: Zulu destroy Salonika.
Istanbul produces Swordsman
Turn 3: IT: Arabs land 1 archer near Bursa, Zulu move 2 archers near Izmit
Upgraded 1 warrior to sword. Reg. Sword loses to regular Zulu archer on plains.
Turn 4: IT: Arab archer kills swordsman. Zulu archer kills warrior in Izmit. Zulu move impi from south from Izink. Our worrior kills Zulu archer.
Bursa builds horseman. Horseman kills Arab archer.
Turn 5: IT: Zulu capture Izmit. We lost a source of iron :(
Aydan produces spearman.
Turn 6: IT: Zulu reinforce Iznit with impi and archers.
Istanbul produces barracks.
Turn 7: IT: India offers peace for Literature. Denied. :lol: Zulu capture a worker. Zulu move 4 archers near Aydan.
Aydan rushes spearman.
Turn 8: IT: -
Harvested forest near Mugla. Aydan produces spearman.
Turn 9: IT: Aydan captured along with 1 settler and 2 workers.
Disbanded a doomed worker near Aydan.
Turn 10: IT: Zulu land 2 impi and 2 warriors near Antayla.
Bursa and Denizli build horseman. Veteran horseman defeats Zulu warrior near Erdine. Veteran horseman defeats Zulu archer near Erdine.

My thoughts on how we should proceed:
The Zulus are quite troublesome. We need to focus on keeping Erdine out of Zulu hands. The Great Library will be done soon and we may actually get to build it! :eek: We should concentrate on building more horseman and saving as many cities as we can. We should not let any of our core (4) cities fall (Denizli, Erdine, Istanbul, and Bursa). All of this leading up to the destruction of Zulu and Persian cities on our island. Hopefully, we can hold off contact with Persia until after the Great Library is built.

Attachments

• pic_0.jpg
    pic_0.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 221
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions right now, save what striq already said. Protect Edrine and build only military. But things look pretty difficult...
BTW, have we made contact with the Persians yet? If so, are we at war with them?

ROSTER:

berserks01 - On deck
Tomason - Up next
erpcon
Cyan Fargo
Striq

contact with the Persians has *not* been made yet. They build their city when none of our warriors were close enough to initiate diplomacy.... Like I said, we should hold off on meeting them at least until we know if we built the GL. If we build ONLY military we might have a chance; however, it might be a good idea to mass about 10 horsemen before we start attacking zulus. When we do attack we should go after Izmit first because it is connected to the source of Iron and it has defensible positions in the mountians for our troops to attack from. Izmit is probable not that well defended, I think it has an impi and a warrior, probably at least one archer too. I doubt the zulus have iron on their mainland and cutting this off may prevent swordsmen from landing. From Izmit we should spread east, leaving landlocked Uskudar for last. IMO our chances for survival are slim to none. We need to get rid of the zulus ASAP.
BTW the saved game is ready to be downloaded.

I've got the save, will play tonite or tomorrow. This looks grim .... any last words? I'll see if I can retake at least 1 city (or die trying to defend our cities). :sad:

BTW, we're still in despotism right? Any problems if I whip some troops fast?

berserks01 said:
I've got the save, will play tonite or tomorrow. This looks grim .... any last words? I'll see if I can retake at least 1 city (or die trying to defend our cities). :sad:

Whipping is an option, but make sure you don't whip away our productivity. :)

berserks01 said:

My thoughts... whip, whip, whip... we made a major error earlier in the game by concentrating on expansion while letting our millitary wane. We need more millitary. Don't attack a zulu city unless you have at least 8 horsemen or swords. I think we still stand a chance but we need to pour all of our resources into millitary growth.
BTW we are along way off from monarchy now... our only real hope is to build the GL and hope we can overcome the zulus.

Here's the SAVE.

Things went very bad for me. If they hadn't kept sending troops I might have more control of the situation, but as it goes they didn't stop sending troops and we have no strong defensive units. The worst thing that happened in my 10 turns is that the Persians finished the GL when we're only 5 turns away :cry:

Preturn IT - Zulu takes Antalya, and an unsuspecting worker from me. Persian builds GL!!! Our horseman in Mugla kills an attacking Zulu swordsman.

330BC - Grumblingly switched Edrine to horseman :mad: . Have 2 workers mine incense and move one worker to road grassland at Bolu.

IT - Zulu builds Statue of Zeus. Mugla, Edrine, and Istanbu builds horsemen, all start horsemen. Zulu galley lands 2 archers next to Kafa. Zulu warrior heads onto iron spot on Denizli.

310BC - 2 horsemen kills warrior on iron spot, with one horseman redlined.

IT - Zulu moves 3 archers next to Uskudar. Zulu takes Kafa.

290BC - Moved 2 horsemen to defend Denizli.

IT - Zulu builds Sun Tzu's Art of War. 3 archers and 1 swordsman moves towards Bursa.

270BC - Nada.

IT - Zulu Archers and Swordsman changed direction and heads towards Denizli instead. Indian sends galley sailing for us. Bursa finishes horseman, starts horseman. Arabs building Sun Tzu's Art of War.

250BC - Move 2 horsemen from Bursa to Denizli. Move 1 horseman from Istanbu to Bursa.

IT - Zulu 3 archers kills 3 horsemen in Denizli. Our swordsman in Edrine kills attacking archer. Istanbu and Edrine builds horsemen, starts horsemen.

230BC - Move another horseman from Bursa to Denizli. Whipped a horseman in Denizli.

IT - Zulu razed Denizli. We only manage to take down 1 of their archers. Zulu finishes The Statue of Zeus. Indian lands spearman and warrior next to Bolu.

210BC - Moves workers to Mugla. Horseman in Edrine kills archer near it. Whipped horseman in Bolu.

IT - Indian razed Bolu and lands 2 swordsmen near Mugla.

190BC - Disbanded 3 workers in Mugla and whipped horseman.

IT - Indian captures Mugla, and lands spearman and archer next to Bursa. Istanbu builds horseman, starts horseman.

170BC - 2 horsemen in Istanbu takes out Indian spearman and archer.

IT - Zulu attacks Edrine, and it starts to riot. Raised lux to 40%. Zulu lands 2 Impi and archer N of Istanbu. Zulu archer moves to Bursa.

150BC - Edrine is a lost cost with 2 Medieval Infantries and 2 archers next to it. Whipped horseman in Istanbu and Bursa.

We are now down to 3 cities, but enough troops to only hold one city from all those enemy troops. I'm at a lost at what to do.

Our currently reduced empire.

Tomason said:
I guess we won't win this game...:(

Most likely not, no... ;)

You have the "honour" of playing what are probably our last few turns in this game...

striq said:
We made a major error earlier in the game by concentrating on expansion while letting our millitary wane.

Not entirely correct! Our downfall was that we couldn't settle our island fast enough. Had we settled the entire island we could have built up a military able to defend us from the AI. Building a (large) military before finishing expansion is almost always "game over" on deity level. Remember, on deity level the AI gets a huge production bonus, so the human player needs to grow fast so he can compensate for that, or he will get overwhelmed by AI troops. Which is exactly what happened to us.

Darkness said:
Most likely not, no... ;)

You have the "honour" of playing what are probably our last few turns in this game...

Not entirely correct! Our downfall was that we couldn't settle our island fast enough. Had we settled the entire island we could have built up a military able to defend us from the AI. Building a (large) military before finishing expansion is almost always "game over" on deity level. Remember, on deity level the AI gets a huge production bonus, so the human player needs to grow fast so he can compensate for that, or he will get overwhelmed by AI troops. Which is exactly what happened to us.

Maybe it wouldn't have mattered if we didn't happen to meet everyone so soon... Or at least if we had meet someone besides the F***** zulus... I hate playing agianst the zulus.... if this wasen't always war they probably would have declared war on us right away.

striq said:
Maybe it wouldn't have mattered if we didn't happen to meet everyone so soon... Or at least if we had meet someone besides the F***** zulus... I hate playing agianst the zulus.... if this wasen't always war they probably would have declared war on us right away.

The fact that the Zulu were so close was definately a big problem for us! Those Impi are always available for the Zulu and they are killer 2-move units in the ancient age...

Top Bottom