SGOTM8 - Chunky

Ahh, we rock. Sweet set of turns there Mach :thumbsup:

OK, we need to make sure we get Cops, so no trading Astro away or anything silly like that. And about Newton's, wouldn't it be better to have it in FC if possible? Not sure, just thinking of the cumulative effects. Obviously if it's substantially quicker to build in Indigo the net effect might be greater over time.

And i'm not too bothered about the flip possibilities. The hard work has been done. If something flips we'll take it back later...

Haha, why is it the only thing London has built is a Colosseum??? The AI never ceases to amaze me.

chunky said:
If something flips we'll take it back later...
Yeah, I didn't sell our raxes yet because of this.

So let's see, we hit our GA in 10 turns. Newton is 400s, and I think FC will hit 33spt in the GA, giving Newton's in...um, where's my calculator...13 turns after GA.

Indigo has 163s in the box right now, and it'll get another 120 in the next 10 turns, giving 283 when the GA hits. Then I think it'll be at about 25spt, giving Newton's in...5 turns after GA.

(My math could be off, this is off the cuff, but not by more than a turn I think...)

On one hand we'll get double Indigo's GA commerce for 8 extra turns, and we'll only need to protect our ToG monopoly for a short while. (We'll get a later Indigo uni, but an earlier FC one, so that about cancels out.) On the other hand we'll have more bpt in the long run since FC has more commerce, but we'll have to protect the monopoly for an extra 8 turns. Hmm...

Ok not much thing special. The biggest thing is my silly performance last turn. :blush:

420 AD Turn 2

Rome and Japan sign peace.
Rome and England sign peace.
We finished researching banking head for physics.

430 AD Turn 3

Sold Edu to Japan for WM 6 GPT and 14 gold.
Traded Banking for chemistry WM 3 GPT and 22 gold for Rome.

450 AD Turn 5

Rome have metallurgy.

Our wool deal with Rome is over. I trade dyes and wines for wool, world map and 25 gold.

480 AD Turn 8

We found Physics. Head for TOG.

490 AD Turn 9

Our silk and furs deal ends with Rome and they demand too much for it.

500 AD Turn 10

Guess what I have done. I didn't changed the lux rate and most of our cities riot. We lost a turn. This is the silliest mistake I have ever done. :wallbash:

I'm so sorry. :(

Please check the MM carefully this was a very very poor perfomance.

Save

This might be a really bad time to point this out, but anyway, if you can see that a lot of cities might be about to riot because of war weariness or sudden luxury loss, then when the first pop up comes up saying a city has rioted, choose Zoom to City, and you can cycle through all the other cities, and make sure they don’t riot, by changing citizens to entertainers. So you can always limit the damage to just one city. Anyway like I said, maybe it’s a bad time to tell you this, just so you know for future.

Otherwise great turns Baal :), don’t worry too much about the mistake at the end. I think we should concentrate on the good things. We’re certainly doing very well indeed on the score and territory graphs, and I even think we’ve just snuck into second place! Obviously it’ll take a really superhuman effort to reel team Klarius in, but I think we can manage it :spear:

As for where to put Newton’s I’d go for Fort Chunky, but maybe that’s just me :D

Yeah hey, these things happen, (only one per game hopefully ;) ), but the rest of your set seems good. And looks like we will still pull in Copernicus.

As Wet says, its easy to cycle through rioting cities to catch them before they do - very useful in certain situations. But don't worry.

So i'll get this underway soon. Probably the next chance I have to play will be Saturday morning so any thoughts before then are welcome.

Well looking at Klarius' territory graphic I guess they got (captured) ToA. We've got the Pyramids and I think it'll pay better in time, especially while playing for date and not score.

Baal, don't worry about this error, it's not a big deal.

chunky said:
any thoughts before then are welcome
Well...get us to steam, and have fun with our GA. Obviously we should research Magnets after ToG, and then trade for Metals to enter the IA. :) Should we gift Greece up for their free tech when we can? I know we won't be able to trade for it, but if it's steam at least it'll reduce our research cost. I think I would, but I'm not confident about this.

Indigo finished it's uni, so we'll have to go for Newton's in FC.

In the long run, I'm thinking we could head for industrialization (for factories) and rep parts (for faster workers) before getting sci meth (and ToE). Do we want any hospitals? Maybe one in FC, but I'm thinking that's it; our city spacing is too tight to warrant hospitals...

Baal said:
silliest mistake I have ever done
Bah, we all manage stuff like this once in awhile. So don't sweat it in the least. :p :)

I don't know where Greece is in the tech tree, if we can sell enough optionnal techs for their freebie than I'd go for it, otherways it's not worth pulling them up.

We currently don't have any optional techs, and I don't think we should research any ourselves. I think the chances of us acquiring them via trade between now and steam is slim to none.

So the purpose of the gifting is (most likely) to try to drop the steam tech cost; since we'll be researching it at 2nd at best, it'll save us a few turns on our victory date. I know it's not many, but it's a race to the finish after all.

Ok some more comments.

Iron will be connected at a few turns later.

Rome has astro but this turn FC will finish copernicus.

Greece is backwards. They have edu not more. Except Rome noone is rival to us.

I think building TOG at FC would be very good so try.

By the way what about Adam Smith's. With pyramids and sun tzu most of our buildings will be free.

As I said before I will be away for two weeks so you'll be mistake free for at least two weeks. :blush:

Well about Smith I guess we'll have to choose between it and Newton. If we can make it with a prebuild, we should go for it.
We don't need rivals but co-researchers so we may think to pull up a few civs.

OK guys, I've played a couple of turns but the MM is taking too long. I'm moving back to university today so I'll have everything finished up by Sunday evening. Everything's going well. We're into our GA, and everything is developing nicely.

Just a couple of thoughts/questions.

1. I switched Indigo to a Palace pre-build so that we can build either UniSuff, or Smiths when the time comes. I don't think we should specifically research Economics ourselves, at least for a while, but I think Smiths would be good to have. I definitely think we should try to get UniSuff as well, for puposes of denial from Rome, wonder cascading before ToE, as well as the WW benefit.

2. I'm researching Magnetism (4 turns). When I finish, I can either start self-researching Metallurgy (4 turns) or try to get it from Caesar. But at the moment he's playing hard-ball. It would take Physics, gems, and a bunch of gold to buy it from him. However this may change if he gets Physics in the meantime and we can trade Magnetism. I'm a little edgy about trading him up, because I don't want his wonder cascade falling to Newtons. Plus, he's too fat for his own good at the moment.

What do you think?

Also, FYI, an English galley has just turned up. Lizzie may be just exploring - or we may have some English archers to deal with :D Stay tuned!

OK, the MM took forever and a day in this set. If people only want to play 5 turns at a time from now on because their eyes begin to hurt, I shan't mind.

0 - 500AD - Ok, I sort out all the little rioting cry babies and MM a bit. Everything else seems tasty.
IBT - Ragnar wants to renegotiate our gems deal, he will only give 3gpt - Ok we'll take our business elsewhere Ragnar. I know a man who'll give us a fair bit more. FC builds Cops, and we enter our Golden Age. Start Newton's pre-build. Nanking settler -> court. Breadboy settler -> worker.

1 - 510AD - Sell dyes to Ragnar for 6pt,13g. Hurrah, we have iron. Settle Gangstaz' Paradise, Spider City, Gotham -> worker. We need more workers for impending railnet.
IBT - Northern Mountains market -> university. Barbarian Impasse university -> court.

2 - 520AD - Decide that Indigo would be a be a good location for a pre-build for either UniSuff, or Smith's so switch to Palace pre-build. Settle Tasty-Treatville. Switch Dyes-See to duct.
IBT - Renogotiate ragnar's horse deal. Get 23gpt, 4g, WM. Learn ToG - Start on Magnetism. Tsintsabis settler -> worker.

3 - 530AD - Shuffle some longbows to greet an English galley. Rush a settler in Fat Man's city so we can squeeze another town in.
IBT - Delphi settler -> worker. Egdon duct -> library. Moo-town worker -> worker.

4 - 540AD - Settle Yak Valley -> worker.
IBT -

5 - 550AD - Settle Neo Fat Man's city -> worker. Settle Greek Surprise -> worker.
IBT - Thermopylae MI -> worker. Tsingtao worker -> worker. Warrior's Prayer uni -> court.

6 - 560AD - Settle Central Peak -> harbor.
IBT - Learn Magnetism. Barbarian Impasse court -> knight.

7 - 570AD -
IBT - Waterfire market -> uni. Canton worker -> worker. Jungle edge duct -> market. Mycenae spear -> spear. Tweener settler -> worker.

8 - 580AD - OK, with 6 turns to completion on Newton's in FC, i'm pretty confident Caesar won't get to ToG and cascade, so I pull the trigger - Physics+29gpt for Metallurgy+14g. We are now Industrial, gentlemen. Steam Power in 6.
IBT - Alex wants to resign peace treaty. Ok. Athens MI -> worker. Shanghai worker -> worker. Sparta settler -> worker. Moo-town worker -> worker.

9 - 590AD - OK, i hope what I did next was a smart move. In order to try and fund max research, we need luxuries. Caesar has silks and furs, and will give them up, with a bit of money thrown in, for Magnetism. I figure since we are going to be effectively gifting everybody into IA sooner or later, this deal may as well go ahead now and help us get to Steam quicker. So Magnetism nets us silks, furs, 5gpt, 19g, world map. We can now research at 100%.
IBT - Beijing MI -> worker. Mount Belle Vue uni -> MI. Miss Goggins settler -> worker. Phoenix worker -> worker. OSLO (VIKING) BUILDS LEOS.

10 - 600AD - Settle Sin City -> worker. Settle Hunt Valley -> worker.

From what I can see, thee are 5 more locations that can be settled up in the north to complete our sprawl. There are 4 settlers under construction and one in transit.

FC will have Newtons in 4, and we will have Steam in 3. I have been amassing workers in preparation for operation railnet, so have fun with them.

There is a wonder prebuild in Indigo - I think it shold probably go to Uni Suff, unless somebody researches Economics in the meantime for us, then I propose this change to Smiths.

Ragnar will buy Banking for 7gpt if you so wish it.

Suggest we go to Industrialisation after steam.

Hmm, looking at the Territory graph, I really do wonder what Klarius' team is up to.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm8/Chunky_SG008_AD0600_01.SAV

Nice turns, Chunky.

I think that the world must go up, because that Metallurgy at monopoly price hurted.
At least Greece.

Uni Suff isn't that interesting, but if we can grab Smith it would be nice.

I would hold up on trading while it doesn't affect our science rate.

I am against going for optional techs assuming we are going to try for "fastest win". Personally, we don't seem trying too hard for it (fast research hasn't been our only goal). Since it will slow down our eventual win though, I would rather hope the AI research it and we can trade before the prebuild ends.

Uni Suff is a low priority wonder for me. It only makes a single citizen content which is not a lot. I would only get this wonder if we miss the other stuff.

I think team Klarius must have done one of two things, either they’ve reached advanced flight already but I seriously doubt that, or they’ve got some overseas cities they are using to expand with. Anyway I don’t think we should let that effect how we play this game, we can only do the best with what we’ve got.

For me this game is all about getting to advanced flight as soon as we can while balancing that against keeping the AI weak, and having everything ready to go at that moment. I know we are the best part of an age away from helicopters but it’s worth remembering that we’ll need prebuilds for Factories and Airports in ALL our productive cities. I vote not gifting the AI techs from now on, we want them to be as weak as possible when we attack. I know this means we’ll reach Advanced Flight later but it’ll make our life much easier when it comes to fighting them, so I think will result in a quicker finish date.

Our research route could be:

Steam Power (Start factory prebuilds)
Industrialisation (I think UniSuff is worth while at this stage, but lets build it after a Factory)
Electricity
Replaceable Parts (At this point, replace, not upgrade unless we can really afford it, all current military with Infantry, but stay below support limit for a while at least)
Medicine (We should be able to trade for this)
Scientific Method (Have Theory of Evolution prebuild ready)
Atomic Theory
Electronics (Have Hoover Dam prebuild ready)
The Corporation
Refining
Steel
Combustion
Mass Production
Motorised Transportation (At this point we should start airport prebuilds)
Flight (Finish airports and build tanks like mad)
Radio
Advanced Flight

We might want to think about starting Cruse Missile prebuilds in our ICS cities, they’ll take 60 turns to build but if we start prebuilds for them soon after getting Refining. I think they’ll still have lethal bombardment as they are not classed as air units, but I don’t think it’s possible to airlift artillery with airports, that means they’ll really only be good for taking out the Greek cities. That at least will let us concentrate our main resources elsewhere.

Greebley, I take it your travelling will mean you're unable to play for the moment? So I'll go ahead and take my go unless you says otherwise. I'll likely play later today, as it's quite rainy outside so I've not much else to be doing.

OK Wet, the only things I recommend you bear in mind as being extremely important are:

We don't want to sell ToG to anyone until we have built Newton's.

There is a pre-build in Indigo for something - I guess it could be used for Smith's, US, or even Hoover Dam, if we managed to perfectly time construction of ToE to give us Electronics... not sure how that will work out yet.

I have a few notes.

AF as I see, we don't count much on the AI in research. We've got what, a single tech in trade for or what? And having a single trade partner doesn't help. So what I think is that we've bypassed the decision time between keeping the AI in peace so it can support our research or making world wars to make it cripple.

So, what I mean, with my actual lurker's vision, let's try to cause a maximum of wars, research ourselfs and try to weaken the AI. I doubt we can accelerate our march towards helis now, but we can accelerate the time that separates this moment from our conquest victory.

What do you think of this?

Okay not a bad idea, we have world peace right now, but we could ally against someone if required. Might be a good idea if we allied with Vikings against Rome, as it'd be best if we could keep Vikings off our backs. However maybe it'd be good for us to ally with Rome against someone else as that'd give Rome war weariness. The only problem with this is that it'd slow our research down too much for my liking.

If anyone knows of a way to get the AI to decleare war on each other, that'd be really helpful.

Top Bottom