Shoshone civilization, leader Pocatello

Status
Not open for further replies.
this must be how the Polish fans felt when Poland was announced. the only reason I didn't want the Sioux or Shawnee in was because I really wanted a culture that actually had some influence on me, so this is awesome. I'm sure even if this had the worst uniques ever I'd still probably play them first.

Same. I was sad when Pueblo, which has massive Colorado influence of course, was eliminated. I thought for sure they would have gone with Sioux or someone else.

But going with Shoshone confirms that they wanted to stick to the same area and give the West some much needed and much deserved spotlight

No, maya are definitely number 1. Insane science benefits and access to a great admiral before anyone else through their UA. They are even more boss now.

But are you really going to pick an admiral before a scientist and engineer in most cases :p. Although it certainly is an option I overlooked

But are you really going to pick an admiral before a scientist and engineer in most cases :p. Although it certainly is an option I overlooked

Judging from the power of the world congress, best strategy looks to be scientist then admiral. You'll still have a ga mid classical era then and have the maximum potential for science of anyone you are competing against.

I assume you can pick every bonus only once, like in the Maya UA.
Imagine playing on Terra with an entire new continent full of ruins in late game.
Free techs there would be pretty extreme.

i'm pretty sure that at least as of right now, ruins can only give ancient era techs.

Same. I was sad when Pueblo, which has massive Colorado influence of course, was eliminated. I thought for sure they would have gone with Sioux or someone else.

But going with Shoshone confirms that they wanted to stick to the same area and give the West some much needed and much deserved spotlight

man, the pueblo hurt me. I had my dreams fulfilled and then dashed in the same fell sweep, but if I had to pick an alternative (other than the Ute, of course) I'm glad it was the shoshone. Maybe it's just because I've grown up in the great basin/southwest states, but I felt a little proud that I didn't have to look them up when they were announced.

Candyman: Ah, yes, I forgot the Maya ability... I guess that, yes, they COULD get a Great Admiral first, but I'm not sure if I would do that in their place. I'm always wanting others....

Edit: What is the Mayan start bias? If they do not have a coastal bias (and I could see it either way), the GAd may not be as useful as others.

Edit: oh wait, the Comanche might have something more than just +1 movement. They have +1 movement that stays an upgrade (that's why it's a promotion)

Yeah, it look like it stays. And don't forget, these guys cost less hammers than a regular cavalry. Indeed they are simple, but of the 'simply powerful' kind.

Yeah, it look like it stays. And don't forget, these guys cost less hammers than a regular cavalry. Indeed they are simple, but of the 'simply powerful' kind.

And the Comanche is one I can culturally like as a Texan! The Comanche Riders are an awesome unit, but I have to say I do like the pathfinder better!

the more I think about them, the more I love 'em. I have just one request, call them the Shoshone Tribe, and not the "Shoshone Empire."

Not gonna weigh in on the choice of civ, but from a purely mechanics viewpoint, I think I know who I'm going to be playing my first BNW game as. Seriously, scouts with a choice of ruin benefits? Even if it's just two or three, that could be brutal. Add in the Ethiopia-style defense bonus and the extra territory, and I'm happy.

Upgrade my units, upgrade my unit, upgrade my unit...conquer the world with a mility that shouldnt exist quite yet.

Love this Civ, dont care if they are mostly about the early 100 turns, those huts can really shape your gameplay.

It can almost even end up like a mini-archer UU. Get Survivalism onto your scouts and then upgrade them for a terrain-ignoring archer that can hold the line deep into enemy territory. They don't obsolete until Scientific Theory (although obviously they'll be well outclassed by then), so even if you find ruins out on isolated islands fairly late on you can still make a run for them and get the full benefit right up til the industrial era.

As for the Comanches, a promotion instead of a hard stat improvement means that your native American landships and tanks will be the most mobile in the world :p

Hmm actually having flicked through the Civlopedia... the only Landships that can possibly have any additional bonuses are Austrian ones with extra flank attack or Russian ones with a wounded enemy bonus, along with additional great general generation from the Companion Cavs and African Forest Elephants. (it seems that the horseman line is one that loses its abilites on upgrade a lot!). So the most feared Tanks in the game will be deservedly German and Russian, Austrian, and, umm... Shoshone? :p

Moroccan too actually come to think of it, they will curiously share a home lands defence bonus with the Shoshone ones in addition to a desert bonus.

It can almost even end up like a mini-archer UU. Get Survivalism onto your scouts and then upgrade them for a terrain-ignoring archer that can hold the line deep into enemy territory. They don't obsolete until Scientific Theory (although obviously they'll be well outclassed by then), so even if you find ruins out on isolated islands fairly late on you can still make a run for them and get the full benefit right up til the industrial era.

As for the Comanches, a promotion instead of a hard stat improvement means that your native American landships and tanks will be the most mobile in the world :p

If you take the autocracy policy, you're tank units would dominate the crap out of the rest of the world. Nothing could catch them.

So wait this means the Comanche Riders are way better than the German Panzer, aren't they?
The Rider can practically be upgraded into a Panzer, but the Panzer loses his movement bonus on upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom