• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Should cities and towns put up Christmas lights?

look at the thread title.

• No!

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Yes!

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • it depends

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
It's fun, it's pretty, and well, it's pretty. The sensation of light snow with a town lit up by lights is awesome. Might be better if you were ice skating at the same time. Haven't tried that yet. :hmm:

If they have them, they should put them up.

Unity triangle. :lol:

Haven't heard that one before.

Just think of all the coal thats being burned in order to power those lights. Some little rotten brat won't be getting coal from Santa because every mainstreet has to have twinkling lights.:mischief:

I think they're beautiful when done well. As long as the majority of tax payers in a given location want them, I see no reason to keep them down.

If someone's offended they need to grow thicker skin.

its looks pretty and dosent hurt anybody. plus if the majority of the populace are christians, then why not?

this isnt exactly christians demanding that school children are taught creationism instead of science, its lights.

this whole "war on christmas" thing is pure hogwash.

No, it gives away the positions of our cities for the bombers in the air.

Waste of tax money.

Waste of energy.

Causes un-necessary glare when driving (I'd get rid of streetlights).

I've got plenty of Christmas lights, they're pretty, they're happy, and the town doesn't need to put up any more.

But traditions like the President lighting the National Christmas Tree are a-ok with me.

:xmascheers:

Not while using tax payer cash.

My town does...heck, its something we actually spend a bunch of taxpayer dough on. If you do a bang-up job, folks come in from other towns to see them, and spend money! Its win win

I think it looks nice, and it does attract customers in some cases. They should put them up.

Sure, since everyone is out shopping anyways might as well spruce up the place!

Especially in the big cities like, New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco where people bring their familiies from the surrounding towns to shop, dine, and get a picture with santa.

This applies only to lights, trees, santa, and tinsel (secular symbols). I don't want my city to buy a giant crucifix to hoist on top of city hall.

:xmastree:

Of course they should put up 'Holiday' Lights.

Christmas lights are just one of many niceties that cities put up to attract business, residents, and visitors. Putting up lights is in the same category as planting trees and flowers, erecting public monuments and art, maintaining parks, and picking up litter. They all make the city a more pleasant place to live and I would venture to say that a large majority of taxpayers don't consider them a waste of money. I don't.

Checking out the public and private Christmas decor while shopping is reason enough to spend a day in downtown Chicago or New York.

The government has no obligation to endorse any religious festival.

Wait, now, is Christmas religious or isn't it? When we ask atheists what the heck they are doing singing Jingle Bells or having a Christmas tree in their house, then Christmas isn't religious, it's "just traditional." But when the city wants to put up Christmas lights or a tree, suddenly it's religious. Make up your minds!

Top Bottom