Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Wow, this screenshot makes it look EXTREMELY similar to CiV in a lot of ways.

Spoiler :

This whole "spiritual successor" business reminds me of how "call to power" was the 'other' sequel to civilization 2. this makes me wonder if this new game might inspire EA to make their own sequel to AC...
It's very difficult to use the words "EA" and "inspire" in the same sentence.

I don't think that shot (or the other two in the same batch) was intended for release, as they include some obvious placeholder elements that shouldn't be there (note the crab in the lower right). But it does illustrate clearly that BE is using the Civ V engine. Expect most of the game systems to follow the Civ V model closely. It would appear that BE is to Civ V as Colonization was to Civ IV.

I don't think that shot (or the other two in the same batch) was intended for release, as they include some obvious placeholder elements that shouldn't be there (note the crab in the lower right). But it does illustrate clearly that BE is using the Civ V engine. Expect most of the game systems to follow the Civ V model closely. It would appear that BE is to Civ V as Colonization was to Civ IV.

^ This.

I wonder why some take that current screenshot is what we'll see in release. (I didn't mean you, TPangorin) There are like 3 months left. There are many thing that didn't or can't implemented yet.

Oh of course there are placeholders, but I was focusing more on the coastal terrain the rivers.

^ This.

I wonder why some take that current screenshot is what we'll see in release. (I didn't mean you, TPangorin) There are like 3 months left. There are many thing that didn't or can't implemented yet.

Even more than 3 months. Fall 2014 starts around 20-21 september and ends around 20-21 december. So there is at least 5 months up to 8 months before release.

Yep, but naming make me fear there will be no big expansions. You just can't make Something like Civilization: Beyond Earth: Moar Aliens, this looks weird. And if they mix the name with title itself like Civilization: Beyond Beyond Earth it will look quite confusing.

Hope this will not prevent DLC though.

I highly doubt the name would have anything to do with wether or not there would be expansions.

It hasn't stopped anyone before.

Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption anyone?

I highly doubt the name would have anything to do with wether or not there would be expansions.

It hasn't stopped anyone before.

Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption anyone?

It's actually pretty common in video games. TVtropes gives plenty of examples, such as Star Wars: Jedi Knight, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and plenty more. All popular games with loads of squeals and expansion packs with more than one colon.

So I wouldn't be in any way surprised by Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth with expansions Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth: Attack of the Aliens and Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth: Return to Terra, then on to Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 2 with expansion Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 2: Electric Boogaloo and so on...

This whole "spiritual successor" business reminds me of how "call to power" was the 'other' sequel to civilization 2. this makes me wonder if this new game might inspire EA to make their own sequel to AC...

Do they have exclusive right either? My understanding is it's kind of a joint right so neither can make the game without the other.

Do they have exclusive right either? My understanding is it's kind of a joint right so neither can make the game without the other.

Yep, this is how I understand the law purgatory in which the rights to SMAC dwell now.

It's actually pretty common in video games. TVtropes gives plenty of examples, such as Star Wars: Jedi Knight, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and plenty more. All popular games with loads of squeals and expansion packs with more than one colon.

So I wouldn't be in any way surprised by Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth with expansions Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth: Attack of the Aliens and Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth: Return to Terra, then on to Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 2 with expansion Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 2: Electric Boogaloo and so on...

Actually, if game becomes smashing success, title would probably be "Sid Meier's Beyond Earth II", IP on its own without Civilization in the title.

SMAC was my first Sid Meier game. Its themes, sounds, and leader heads are all fond memories of mine. But I'm rather worried about BE, if I must be totally honest. I didn't care for many aspects of the Civ V engine (which is why you'll still see me down in Civ IV most of the time even though it hasn't been current content for 4 years). I'll remain cautiously optimistic, though. Hopefully BE can live up to SMAC's greatness.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough
as well.

Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth 2: Rise of the Witch King

I'm pretty excited about this but the reskinned civ V look makes me feel this is just a side project that won't get much support beyond release. I know it's more complicated than simply being a modded Civ V, it doesn't look to be a proper new game either.

Spoiler :

Of course the game's two departments who probably aren't even half way finished is certainly the art department and sound. With the programmers waiting in the wings.

Of course the game's two departments who probably aren't even half way finished is certainly the art department and sound. With the programmers waiting in the wings.

Geoff Knorr revealed on facebook that the score recording is going to be in mid-June, so you're probably right about both of those.

I'm pretty excited about this but the reskinned civ V look makes me feel this is just a side project that won't get much support beyond release. I know it's more complicated than simply being a modded Civ V, it doesn't look to be a proper new game either.

This game is basically Civilization and Alpha Centauri combined, with a little bit of XCOM (like unit designing etc). Don't know if unit designing was in SMAC, since I've never played the game.

It will be a huge, new game. They are just using the same engine as civ5. It would take too much time and give no big results to make a new one at this point. Maybe in a couple of years wirh civVI and BE2 ;)

Top Bottom