Simple... what am I doing right/wrong??

I took a 2-minute look at the game and three things struck me immediately.

First, more mining and less irrigation. You have many size 12 cities (maximum size atm) producing excess food, Groningen even has +11 food. You don't need the growth, instead mine tiles and improve production. If I have a city surrounded by grassland I will mine every tile in that city radius.

Secondly, you're in Republic with 0% on your slider set for happiness. Republic generates tons of commerce but can't use military police, the intent is to use some of that commerce for happiness. You have sometimes 4 citizens set to jokers to make citizens happy. Instead set your lux slider to at least 10% to use some of the commerce to improve citizen happiness and get those citizens back working tiles, you might even consider 20% if it doesn't impact your research too much. You might also consider trading with another AI to get another lux or two to add to the two you already have.

Finally, all your cities are building improvements rather than units. That may not be a bad thing as it appears you've expanded fine, and America your closest neighbor doesn't appear to be a threat. I only mention this because you are ranked close to the weakest Civ according to the power graph (F8) and that may make you a target.

Forgot to look at your research, and it seems you've gone after a bunch of techs I ignore. Once I get into the middle ages, I go straight for Military Tradition and cavalry. Like right now you are researching Music Theory, I'm guessing because you want to build Bach's Cathedral. I ignore almost all Wonders, and focus on military techs to get the strongest army I can build. Still, at Regent difficulty, you have some room to play around a bit. Plus not having horses or saltpeter atm makes cavalry moot, so no huge loss there.

I took a 2-minute look at the game and three things struck me immediately.

First, more mining and less irrigation. You have many size 12 cities (maximum size atm) producing excess food, Groningen even has +11 food. You don't need the growth, instead mine tiles and improve production. If I have a city surrounded by grassland I will mine every tile in that city radius.
Will look into that. Is there a rule of thumb I can use, because to me irrigation = good.
Ok I get it, if the food is 0+ then mine ok. Point taken. Thanks.

Secondly, you're in Republic with 0% on your slider set for happiness.
I'm phobic to the happiness slider. Thanks for the feedback, I hope I will get that part of the game too...

Finally, all your cities are building improvements rather than units. That may not be a bad thing as it appears you've expanded fine, and America your closest neighbor doesn't appear to be a threat. I only mention this because you are ranked close to the weakest Civ according to the power graph (F8) and that may make you a target.
Uhm yes... the Americans were about to attack, I made a lot of units quickly and moved them southwards. The Americans then retreated and went back.

Forgot to look at your research, and it seems you've gone after a bunch of techs I ignore. Once I get into the middle ages, I go straight for Military Tradition and cavalry. Like right now you are researching Music Theory, I'm guessing because you want to build Bach's Cathedral. I ignore almost all Wonders, and focus on military techs to get the strongest army I can build. Still, at Regent difficulty, you have some room to play around a bit. Plus not having horses or saltpeter atm makes cavalry moot, so no huge loss there.

You have a mind reading device somewhere!
I can't trade lux with anyone because the lack of traderoutes. I'm thinking of building a road to the americans somehow.
I don't have saltpeter or horses, but I'm ahead too, so make it a run for tech (oil) and run over it with tanks like I always do or do something savvy?

Just to clarify on irrigation. +2 thru +4 extra food in a growing town is fine. But once you hit the population cap, it's worthwhile to go back and remine previously irrigated tiles.

Get used to playing with the luxury slider. If you think of a span of turns for each tech researched, my general rule of thumb is: max research when starting a new tech (even run at a deficit if it's a monopoly tech you can use to trade with other Civs and you want to make sure you get there first, and have the excess gold to finance deficit research), then "play" with the slider during the tech research if you need to adjust empire wide happiness (it's better to micromanage happiness at the city level, but a base amount of happiness generated by the slider is a good idea, especially at higher difficulty levels), then on the final turn of tech research turn it down to the minimum amount of science needed to "breakthrough" research for that tech. There is no overrun on tech research (ie extra beakers generated are not carried over onto the next tech), so you want to turn that overrun into gold, not wasted beakers. Get comfortable with playing with the slider.

The nice part about Republic is you don't need (can't use) military police. So other than defending against the occaisional landing party all your units should be at the front. When I look at the border American towns and see spearmen guarding, it makes me think "ATTACK!". I would even conquer American territory due south and then west up to the choke point, then stop and fortify. Then I would move east and wipe out the Mayan (I think that's who it was, I'm going from memory) allowing you control of that portion of the continent.

Don't forget you can use harbors for trading over water. I don't have the game loaded, but if you haven't built a harbor yet, then that could be a quick solution to building a trade route to all the other Civs.

Good luck and keep the updates coming. Without horses and saltpeter it will be a tough map, but hopefully you can secure them soon thru either trade or assimilation into your empire.

Doh, just reread your post asking about oil. I wouldn't suspend expansion waiting for tanks. I would continue warring with MDIs, getting to Replaceable Parts and Infantry will be a boost, then eventually tanks.

And don't forget to keep pumping out the workers. You are currently at about 1-to-1 for cities, but with all that jungle you will need tons more for tile improvements, and for building railroads once you get Replaceable Parts.

Just to clarify on irrigation. +2 thru +4 extra food in a growing town is fine. But once you hit the population cap, it's worthwhile to go back and remine previously irrigated tiles.

Get used to playing with the luxury slider. If you think of a span of turns for each tech researched, my general rule of thumb is: max research when starting a new tech (even run at a deficit if it's a monopoly tech you can use to trade with other Civs and you want to make sure you get there first, and have the excess gold to finance deficit research), then "play" with the slider during the tech research if you need to adjust empire wide happiness (it's better to micromanage happiness at the city level, but a base amount of happiness generated by the slider is a good idea, especially at higher difficulty levels), then on the final turn of tech research turn it down to the minimum amount of science needed to "breakthrough" research for that tech. There is no overrun on tech research (ie extra beakers generated are not carried over onto the next tech), so you want to turn that overrun into gold, not wasted beakers. Get comfortable with playing with the slider.

The nice part about Republic is you don't need (can't use) military police. So other than defending against the occasional landing party all your units should be at the front. When I look at the border American towns and see spearmen guarding, it makes me think "ATTACK!". I would even conquer American territory due south and then west up to the choke point, then stop and fortify. Then I would move east and wipe out the Mayan (I think that's who it was, I'm going from memory) allowing you control of that portion of the continent.

Don't forget you can use harbors for trading over water. I don't have the game loaded, but if you haven't built a harbor yet, then that could be a quick solution to building a trade route to all the other Civs.

Good luck and keep the updates coming. Without horses and saltpeter it will be a tough map, but hopefully you can secure them soon thru either trade or assimilation into your empire.

Thanx! And thanks.
No I built harbors but it didn't give me a trade route.
The american towns are actually heavily guarded by ancient infantry.

Doh, just reread your post asking about oil. I wouldn't suspend expansion waiting for tanks. I would continue warring with MDIs, getting to Replaceable Parts and Infantry will be a boost, then eventually tanks.

And don't forget to keep pumping out the workers. You are currently at about 1-to-1 for cities, but with all that jungle you will need tons more for tile improvements, and for building railroads once you get Replaceable Parts.

not getting there to that part any time soon.
Not sure if I want to settle in the jungle. Making my second capital already.

Tips on what to do right now?

Couple of questions.

Regarding Music Theory or any Medieval tech, IIRC there is a 50% discount on researching those techs once you advance to the next age.

Once in the Industrial Age, most of us recommend a beeline to Replacement Parts. You pick up Steam Power and the ability to build railroads if you have coal. Don't underestimate railroads for peaceful building or war.

Hellfiredoom is absolutely right, don't wait for tanks. Replacement Parts gets you infantry and artillery. Your military may be slower on enemy ground, but they can't effectively counter your stack.

What would I do right now?

I would use some of that excess +food in your cities and spit out tons of workers and settlers, the lost population will rebuild quickly. Then I use the workers to remine around my cities, and settle in the jungle before the AI gets there.

I would set my luxury to 20% happiness and get those citizens working.

I would skip any optional techs and get to Replaceable Parts ASAP. Then expand my empire as noted above, meaning non-stop war until the game is over. :D

The rule of thumb for mining vs. irrigation is "mine green, irrigate brown". That should keep you at approximately +2 fpt (not counting agricultural bonus or any food bonuses), which is good. Once you get a city to max population, you can mine a couple of plains to zero out the food.

The rule of thumb for mining vs. irrigation is "mine green, irrigate brown". That should keep you at approximately +2 fpt (not counting agricultural bonus or any food bonuses), which is good. Once you get a city to max population, you can mine a couple of plains to zero out the food.

Yes and no. That's the rule for despotism, but after getting out from under, it's worth taking another look at the situation & reversing things to get more shields out.

kk

Top Bottom