Simultaneous Move in Multiplayer

This is fantastic news!

By the way, can't you just set the file to 'read only' surely that would stop Civ from changing the file back?

Just check in this ancient post, and say hi to the old pals like woke, et al. :) :king: :king: :goodjob:

I have to follow up on xApple with the same question: how can one pull this off with a Mac? I have a theory that the file GAME.TXT is involved because it's the only one where I found anything with "simultaneous" mentioned inside, however, the file is too big for SimpleText to open, and if I open the file with anything else, the file becomes warped and CivII refuses to recognize it: and this is all aside from the fact that what simultaneous seems to refer to is only to the Tutorial, which seems strange to me.

I am running windows XP and I can't get the simo fix to work... or find a civ.ini file to hex edit. I tried looking in the game files (txt ones) but only simo reference I saw was in the tutorial.

I found it finally, the Civ.ini file is in your C drive Windows directory....might be different on a mac just search C drive for .ini files maybe. I just got it working my my windows XP, its pretty cool though a bit different. I miss the breaks between turns of non-simultaneous battles. You don't need a file to change it just add the line into your ini as described above and then save it and afterwards make it "read only" so it will stay that way. Once your in game be sure to select customize rules, you will see it on the second custom rules page along with show human starts and the other usual multi player custom options.

I should mention here that I've played a few games with simultaneous move. While it is very convenient, I'll admit, once you start getting into the late mid-game stages, the lag starts to become outrageous and there are frequent disconnects between players. I never see this problem when playing with standard moves.

Hello,
In windows 7 32 bit, civ2 (non-MGE version) installs and produces a civ.ini file in the Windows directory. There is no simultaneous box in game.

In Windows 7 64bit, and Windows Vista 32 bit, civ2 (non-MGE version) does not produce a civ.ini file under installation. I tried to copy the civ.ini file I had from Windows 7 32 bit to the current Windows directory and upgraded the 2 copies of civ to MGE using the 5 patches, but there is no simultaneous box in game.

In Windows 7 32bit, 64bit, Test of Time does not produce the civ.ini file under installation. The two computers installed with Test of Time cannot choose simultaneous mode.

I tested the above using Network game at home.
Basically I cannot host a simultaneous game with either MGE or TOT,
Wants to play with a friend at home.
Thanks in advance.

Hello all,
I figured out how to host a simultaneous move game if you dont have XP.

First, you need Windows 7 Professional or above to install and run XP mode.

Under XP mode, install civ2. It will generate a civ.ini file in Windows directory. Then do what others suggest to host a Multiplayer simultaneous move game by yourself. Choose the setting "Allow human to join an open game" and "Human move at the same time". Note that once the game starts in the map in XP mode, it will run horribly slow (like taking 1 to 2 mins in order to click away "you know irrigation, mining, road building".

Once in game, save your game (or maybe use the autosave.net).

Use a USB to save your file and port it to play with the operating system you would like it to work with. Load the saved game and allow your friends to join as one of the AIs.

Now, even though your OS cannot read the civ.ini file, it will still run the game under simultaneous mode.

Have fun.
:D

hi im new i was wondering if there is a civ 2 irc game chat or something when people want to start up a game and play

Top Bottom