Sirian's Map Info Reference

Hey guys. I want to make the biggest possible accurate Earth map using Warlords 1.61. No modding, no cities, no units, just an accurate, maximum possible size and accurate as possible map of Earth. Based on my past work making C3C maps, I reckon this would take me a year to do at max, although the World Builder in Civ4 does seem a bit less "friendly" than the C3C editor/mapmaker.

The thing that irritates me about most C3C world maps is they are way too small. The idea of their being "one tile" space between Washington and Baltimore is preposterous for a "world map." I know why it happens this way: limit to ~500 cities in C3C (or at least earlier unpatched versions of it). Also, I know that, when a map gets truly huge, it slows down the game, but that just means buy a faster/bigger chip and more memory!

Based on the fact that Baltimore-Washington is ~39 miles apart, and Essen-Dusseldorf is ~23 miles apart, and using a 3 tile gap rule, the IDEAL size for maximum accuracy would be 7.5 miles per tile.

Using the figures of 24,900 (Earth circumference) and 9750 miles (distance between 77-degrees north lat, and 64-degrees south lat) we get

1300 tiles north-south axis
3320 tiles east-west axis

Is this utterly impossible? If so, what would be the MAXIMUM possible size map to generate in Civ4 Warlords 1.61.

Also, is there another Warlords patch else mapmaker edition impending that might prompt me to delay starting on this?

ADDIT:

i think 1 tile for 50-100 miles might get it as real as possible, but trying to have every city on the planet, and every town and 'other locales' represented as a cottage plot would take it to the extreme, and even then, what sort of scenario would you have with it? 'play modern day were everyone hates the west but when you try to act, the west turns against you, marking you as the enemy so they can suck up to others' scenario?

if you make a map that big that is the whole world, only a post modern scenario (WW3) or some of the big wars from history, or 1000AD scenario would make it worth the load time

The scenarios that would be facilitated by a truly massive scale map would be:

Age of Discovery
Hundred Years War
Age of Imperialism
American Civil War
Era of Battleships
WWI
WWII
Korean Conflict
Vietnam Era
The Cold War
The Gulf War I and II
War on Terror

I've been a player in the ongoing PBEM "The Cold War" for over a year now, and I think that a very big Earth map in Civ4 Warlords would provide a foundation on which to get some modder going on a similar mod for Civ4.

ADDIT 2: So has anyone played the Genghis Kai's Giant map (90 x 210), or a larger Civ4 map through to the 21st century? If so, what are your system specs and what sort of turn times did you have at the end? Just curious, because that would be a good litmus test of the viability of making even larger maps.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=184684&page=11

The ideal 1300 x 3320 size map is probably impossible based on existing technology, and the way the game is set up, i.e., a memory hog because of fancy graphics, etc.. However, MAYBE 650 x 1660 could be made to work by resetting things in the game that eat up lots of processor time? I'm just seeking feedback, and do not mean to impugn the exemplary work of others. Rather, I would like to stand on the shoulders of giants in that, the map I'm talking about making would NOT be very suitable for an epic "all of human history" sort of experience, but would require that most cities be pre-placed, and that settlers not be buildable, and that AI behavior be carefully shaped to insure that it suited the specific scenario. However, all of that are even further elaborations on the foundational work which needs to be done which is a map! The bigger the map, the more suitable it will be for a variety of scenarios, and thus, my raison de posting.

Also, to clarify about the issue of the game being limited to only 24 civs, I do not think that this is an issue. For example, El Justo's TCW mod has a few more than 24, something like 30 I think for the SP version. However, the MP version has only 8 civs. This is done simply by combining Latin America into a single tribe, combining Canada, Australia, NZ, England, etc., into the UK, etc. So, I don't think that being limited to 24 tribes would be an insurmountable impediment to taking the sort of prospective map I'm discussing (i.e., a very LARGE Earth world map, with enough room for say, 8 or 10 communities in Vietnam alone??). Say for example WWII. 24 slots for tribes would allow all the major players to have a slot, and leave a few extra slots for "non-aligned powers" or something like that. This is how the "Kamikaze Contest" map for WWII works: all of Latin America, large portions of Africa, and a few other sundry places are in the "neutral powers" "nation" The have limited numbers of cities and buildings, can only build immobile defensive units, and IIRC, cannot trade techs. Thus, they sit there, and if one of the active players or AIs WANTS to start taking over that territory, they can allocate their resources in that way, but generally because of how the scenario is set up (VP tiles, etc.) this is a losing venture. However, because the territory is THERE it provides for an interesting set of alternatives, and also more realistically presents the geographical factors impinging on a simulation of the WWII era. So in sum, the lack of civ slots would not present a serious difficulty for making good scenarios of the sort I present in the list using the sort of very large map I'm thinking of making. I just need to know how big the map can should be!

Someone in another thread commented that my list of potential scenarios that a truly massive Civ4 map could facilitate was interesting, but questioned whether (for example) a good "Vietnam War Scenario" might best be served using a map that represented mostly only Vietnam. Actually I think that a proper Civ scenario for "Vietnam War" must actually be about the "ERA" and not simply about the strategy and tactics of war in that particular theatre. There are already excellent games that focus on the military aspect of most wars in the last 200 years, which Civ is not in any position to improve on because of the game engine

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/sat5/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=45905&SP=10023&CID=119338&PID =832786&PN=1&V1=832786&CUR=124&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE= &CACHE_ID=119338

However, what the modern-war scenarios in games like TOAW III do not cover, which Civ is well suited to cover, is the balance and interplay between warfare, social, technological, political, and cultural factors. But in order to accurately represent such factors, what would be needed (at minimum) is a map that presents a sufficient number of communities in both of the key nations: Vietnam, China, and Russia all had troops on the ground in Vietnam. Thailand, Cambodia were theatres of war, and if memory serves Thailand had a contingent of troops in the FWP nations, which also included: Australia, New Zealand, Korea, and possibly at least one other nation I'm forgetting . . . oh yes! the United States!

So at minimum, a Civ-Style simulation or alternate history scenario for Vietnam must include all (or at least some) of each of these nations. A map like the one used in the C3C "War in the Pacific" scenario might suffice, but I think that properly representing Vietnam might actually require a large scale map in which Vietnam is disproportionately large (and Pacific Ocean small) compared to the rest. However, a whole Earth map that was at the "ideal" scale of 7.5 miles per tile would also serve very nicely (if it wasn't impossible because of game speed issues).

So, there is a purpose behind my interest. A Civ4 map that is the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE size would have applications, and if it existed, some prospective modders who were interested in making one of the above listed scenarios might take it up as a project (probably not me!). The existing "large" Civ4 maps (e.g., Genghis Kai's Giant Map at 90 x 210) are probably well-suited for an epic "all of human history" sort of game, but what I'm targetting is something a bit different. Specifically, a map that is suited for simulating modern global history (in which most cities are pre-built and capacity to build more is dramatically limited), or specfiic segments of that ~500 year period.

1300 x 3320? Well, that's certainly very ambitious and optimistic of you. :) You could of course try to make a map that big - I don't think the map generator would stop you. However, your computer would - if not during the making then during the playing.

Realistically, you'd struggle to get a hundredth of that size... I doubt that even 130 x 332 would be possible for a playable map. A friend of mine made a 128 x 256 map, and it's too memory-heavy for almost anyone's computer to play into the later game.

So yeah, I admire your ambition, but it's just not practical to have a map quite that colossal. (Although, if it were possible, I'd certainly be interested in playing such a map. ;) )

Thanks for your response Lord Parkin. It is worthwhile to know that even 128 x 256 is "too big" to work, given the current application configuration.

So my next question is: what needs to be reset in the program (i.e., TURNED OFF) to make it possible to go big on maps? I ask this question because I know this: El Justo's The Cold War map, which is at the scale of about 130 x 130 slows down in later game (about 5 minutes per turn), but never does hit the wall and experience ever-increasing turn slow downs. This has been made possible because of certain changes he made in the editor. Most notably, turning off trade of resources and techs. Taking this set of calculations out of the cycle dramatically speeds up turn time. Here is what I_Batman had to say about this over in the TCW thread about playing with the 325 x 354 huge The Cold War 1950s map

Quite a few months ago I played a game on Civ III 50's map right through to the late 70's. All I did was ignore the winner (U.S. space race) and continued on. If I remember correctly the game hit a wall in the late 50's, and turns started taking up to 20-30 minutes when at peace. Turns flew when at war.

I playing on my powerful rig, not my laptop.
Now, the unsettling and frustrating part was when I looked at task manager during the slow peacetime turns, the game was only chewing up 50% of my processor, and about 800 meg of my 2 gig high end memory. Nothing else was running, and the rest of the memory and processor was idle.
That points to something in the code of the engine as a limiting factor.

Overall, the huge map is virtually perfect in my opinion. I could see opening up the arctic island paths a bit more to allow more cat and mouse of Soviet and NATO subs, but other than that the map is just fine.

But you have to have incredible patience to play that map as an SP game. Because I work at home most days, I can have the huge map going on my powerful PC, and do my business work on my laptop, so it was no big problem for me, but under normal cicumstances, the huge map has too much of a lag for SP games.

MP games, totally different. It would be great for PBEM games.

So, what I gather from this is that the Civ applications are at present simply not configured for maximum turn speed. This is probably a reflection of two things: 1) each successive rendition of the game has been based in part on previous code, meaning that there is likely to be some redundant, even mildly conflictual code in there; 2) the focus of the game designers has been on giving the game curb-side appeal through imagery, and limited strategic permutations and details (e.g., fewer units, fewer stats, smaller maps).

While I think the game they have come up with is exemplary, I would like to hold them to that claim that was made early in the development cycle that "Civ4 will be THE MOST MODDABLE CIV of them all." I still don't see an editor anything as effective as that which came with C3C, and while it is no doubt possible that Soren or someone like that might be able to figure out how to reset the app to make it possible to run massive maps, I still don't see that sort of moddability becoming an easy to pick up talent based on the apps and guidance they are providing.

Since Civ4 came out, I will be frank. I've played more C3C, and other games than I have Civ4. I've got into the Matrix Games, tried out other games etc. I cannot tell you how much I wanted to love Civ4, but (and I wish it wasn't true) the game is a disappointment to me. Maybe they scooped up a new 13 or 14 year old market with it, but what about us old Grognards? Have we simply been cast aside as disposable market segments? The fact that there is still no editor, that my ambition to make really big maps that could afford true tactical action, and the fact that modders like El Justo are pretty much TOTALLY disinterested in even starting to try to redo their mod for Civ4 is a pretty clear indication of the strategic marketing blunder Firaxis has made with Civ4. We all love the game a lot, and I guess that is why we have held on for years even after the disappointment.

The problem is, the fixes in El Justo's mod were largely computational things. For instance, he discovered that turning off the ability for trades to be negotiated between players saved considerable between-turns time, because Civ3 was using up a lot of computer power to calculate all the possible deals between all civs which had met each other every turn (or somesuch), so with 31 civs playing at once this would be a colossal number of cross-calculations.

However, I think you'd find that with Civ4, while there are probably some few computational things which you could "fix" to speed up the game slightly, the kind of difference you are talking about (hundredfold and more increases in speed) are simply not feasible in this way. The fact is that the largest part of the lag in Civ4 games is due to the graphics in the game, and there's really no way to get around this unless you go and redesign basically the whole graphics engine so that you get simpler images using less computer power (and thus allowing larger maps). But this pretty much means redesigning the entire game, something which I'm sure you're not too keen on. ;)

So yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but maps of the kind of dimensions you are talking about (not just hundreds but thousands of tiles in perimeter) are simply not possible in any way with Civ4, as far as I can see.

. . . So yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but maps of the kind of dimensions you are talking about (not just hundreds but thousands of tiles in perimeter) are simply not possible in any way with Civ4, as far as I can see.

That is what I was afraid of. I can believe you Lord Parkin, I just wanted to get confirmation from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Maybe I'm alone, but based on the number of peers I have on this site and at 1BC who have griped about the direction the game has taken, and the way the "ultra-moddability" simply has not come to pass, I do not think I am alone. Maybe "we," the guys who would like to see a graphically simpler game that nonetheless kept all the neat cultural, social, religious, political, diplomatic, etc., parts of Civ4 are an inconsequential market segment. But then based on the nature of their games, Matrix makes their bread and butter catering to even smaller market segment.

I sure wish somebody would make a game that would combine: (a) the neat civ-building features of Civ4; (b) the graphical level of about C3C; and (c) the military operations and tactical capacity of TOAW III and War in the Pacific. What a game that would be :cool:

Guys,

In our Team, we wish to add a new terrain type: marsh. But we are afraid about the problem it can create with the random map generator.
So, we hope to know if it can be done without any problem, or will it need some changes on the random map ? If yes, what must be done ? No one in the Team knows about maps.

Heeeelp !:please:

Thx.

Hian the Frog.

What is a good map for single-player play against the AI?

Yes, I know this guide repeats the company line that all maps are good for this. But, doesn't the Civ AI have big problems in trying to mount an invasion across to another continent? I was reading in a Better AI thread that they maybe seem to have it doing that. But, it seems it still had major problems understanding that it could invade on the same continent.

If the Civ AI can't properly invade another continent, that's important to know in trying to find a map for a decent game against the AI. That seems to make Archipelago as bad choice. Or, if it can't see to invade on the same continent, then maps like Hub put the AI had a serious (even worse than normal) disadvantage.

Lately, I've been trying land-only maps like Highlands to avoid some of these issues. My current game is on Rainforest set to connect all the edges (to avoid corners and edge placements). I miss the naval game, but if it helps this pitiful AI play the game, then its worth it.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I know this guide repeats the company line that all maps are good for this. But, doesn't the Civ AI have big problems in trying to mount an invasion across to another continent? I was reading in a Better AI thread that they maybe seem to have it doing that. But, it seems it still had major problems understanding that it could invade on the same continent.

If the Civ AI can't properly invade another continent, that's important to know in trying to find a map for a decent game against the AI. That seems to make Archipelago as bad choice. Or, if it can't see to invade on the same continent, then maps like Hub put the AI had a serious (even worse than normal) disadvantage.

Lately, I've been trying land-only maps like Highlands to avoid some of these issues. My current game is on Rainforest set to connect all the edges (to avoid corners and edge placements). I miss the naval game, but if it helps this pitiful AI play the game, then its worth it.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried the map scripts in the map script forum? There's a whole bunch there. Almost anything you can imagine.

Any thoughts?
The AI isn't too bad at mounting intercontinental invasions, especially on the latest BTS patch. If you notch up the difficulty a little from what you're used to, you'll definitely have a challenging game even on an islands map.

Personally my absolute favourite map scripts are Big_and_Small and Fractal. Both (usually) generate continental maps, and the AI seems to handle them just fine. :)

I've got a map layout I like but is there any way I can get it to randomly generate the location of goodies and bonuses without having to do it manually with console commands?

Realistically, you'd struggle to get a hundredth of that size... I doubt that even 130 x 332 would be possible for a playable map. A friend of mine made a 128 x 256 map, and it's too memory-heavy for almost anyone's computer to play into the later game.

As a realism lover who's recently getting back into :bts: , i'm curious:
Is this mega-map of Earth as we know it?
-if yes, may i have a look?
-if no, how would i go about creating a 160x240 map?

I'm hoping that my new computer would be able to run this ok..

Hi folks,

I don't know much about python and I cannot find it in the script. Maybe one of you experts can give me a short answear if it is not too much trouble.
Is there an easy way to modify the highlands script to have 20% to 25% water?
Thank you!!

Top Bottom