Skype turning on even when it's not suppose to be on

Narnia

Prince
I recently downloaded and started using microsofts Process Explorer. From what I understand it is basically an enhanced task manager. I turned it on and among the programs that are running, skype is on. I installed skype about a year ago and have used it a couple of times for video conferences. I don't want to uninstall it if I can help it but I don't use it most of the time and I'm not comfortable with the idea of it always being on. How do I turn it off and have it stay off? It doesn't show up on window's 7's default task manager but it does show up on Process Explorer which concerns me. Also, it only runs for about a second and then turns off for a few seconds, then turns back on for a second and the cycle continues.
PS: Could this be some kind of malware using the skype name to avoid detection? Is there a way for me to confirm this? Thanks

PS: the name of the process is SkypeNames2.exe

Edit: I managed to suspend the program using Process Explorer (I didn't kill the process, I only suspended it)

Quick google search leads me to believe it is a legit Skype plugin that highlights phone numbers in your internet browser. When you installed Skype you also installed a toolbar/add-on that may be running while you are using your browser.

Try disabling the browser toolbar/add-on.

If that doesn't work, re-install Skype but uncheck the option to install any toolbars or extra bloatware.

Could it be running under Services in the task manager? (I had issues with a certain port being blocked up and I couldn't find the process and it turned out that it was under Services). If you see something and its active you can stop it.

Sorry Im vague, I dont really use Skype (I installed it once to talk to some friends and then they stopped coming on so I deinstalled it.)

Top Bottom