Small home network need help!

Raisin Bran

Cereal Killer
Ok guys. This is probably easy enough for yall but I need some help.

Here is my problem :

I can't set up my network. I got a cable modem, a netgear rp614 router and 2 PC's.

I want the cable modem to be plugged in the router and have the 2 PC's sharing the internet connexion and to be able to transfer files from one PC to the other.

Seems simple enough but I can't, for the life of me, make it work.

Anyone has a detailed walkthrough on how to set that whole thing up?

Have you made it to the router's configuration page?

After you plug the modem into the WAN port, and the PCs into either of the LAN ports, usually the default is to type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into any browser. This should bring up the router's config. Somewhere in there, you should be able to select between dynamic ip, pppoe, static ip, and some others for your internet connection, you probably want to pick dynamic ip for a cable connection.

Sorry if it's sort of vague, I've never used that router, and the netgear site has nothing useful, if you can or can't follow what I said so far, post back, and I should be able to help some more.

Have you made it to the router's configuration page?

After you plug the modem into the WAN port, and the PCs into either of the LAN ports, usually the default is to type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into any browser. This should bring up the router's config. Somewhere in there, you should be able to select between dynamic ip, pppoe, static ip, and some others for your internet connection, you probably want to pick dynamic ip for a cable connection.

Sorry if it's sort of vague, I've never used that router, and the netgear site has nothing useful, if you can or can't follow what I said so far, post back, and I should be able to help some more.

Ok I set up the router. I took the wisard to detect the internet connexion. He dectected a dynamic IP adress and tried the test page and it logged on to the net.
The problem now is that I know that the router picks up the IP from the modem but the 2 PC's don't want to connect to the net.
I put 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 on the 2 pc cuz my router is set to give out from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50.
But it still dont work. The subnet mask is good but I dont have or know what DNS adress to put in, In the network connexions.
Is there a standard for that?

anyhoo Im still stuck without a working network. I just feel im missing something stupid.

Help?

Usually in such a setting the Router forwards DNS requests, so you'd have to put in the IP-Adress of your router (probably 192.168.0.1, right?)

But this begs the question: Why don't you configure your PCs to obtain a IP-Adress dynamically? Since you said "cuz my router is set to give out from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50." I assume that this is the configuration for the built-in DHCP-Server in the router.
If you set the network cards of your PC to get a IP automatically it will request one itself, setting the IP, Subnet-Mask and DNS Server itself.

Usually in such a setting the Router forwards DNS requests, so you'd have to put in the IP-Adress of your router (probably 192.168.0.1, right?)

But this begs the question: Why don't you configure your PCs to obtain a IP-Adress dynamically? Since you said "cuz my router is set to give out from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50." I assume that this is the configuration for the built-in DHCP-Server in the router.
If you set the network cards of your PC to get a IP automatically it will request one itself, setting the IP, Subnet-Mask and DNS Server itself.

You know I just spoke with the IT guy that works for our company and he told me the same thing ..... to just put the computers on "Obtain IP adresses automatically" and the PC's should pick one up from the router easy.

Ill try that tonight.

anyone who has any other infor is appreciated.

cables setup:
wall (phone line) > modem > router (via lan cable) > PCs (lan cable. lan port)

connection setup:
router -
it says the IP it has by default in the manual.
go there.
in the USER place, enter the user and password your ISP gave you.

PCs - set it to get an address dynamically.

a router is usually open 24/7, and should have your connection user in the setup.

did you get a modem\lan router?
saves on the modem space. dunno the model you have.

any more troubles, PM or Mail me.
happy to help.

All is good now ..... I just put everything on dynamic Ip and Voila ..... Im on my new PC now!

Thanks guys! .... Mods you can close this thread now :)

Top Bottom