Smart move, me

hbdragon88

haunted by blackness
I registered my first Yahoo mail account on 5/31/01, three months before my thirteenth birthday. Because of the dammed COPPA, Yahoo refused to let me register, citing that I had to be thirteen. I thought screw that and typed in a fake b-day that let me register. So I registered and now I'm happy with 6MB of space.

Now the daring act I did two years ago is having hitback effects. If I ever lost my password I couldn't it back because I don't remember the b-day that I put it and Yahoo won't let me change my b-day.

I'm wondering, is there any way around this? Do I ask Yahoo to reset my birthday?

You could create a new account - transfer everything to it and forget the old one...otherwise make a note of your password and keep it very very safe.

Resetting your birthday could be problematic - I'm not sure if yahoo would accept that.

There's an age limit to registering for an email? :hmm:

Better write down your password somewhere then. :p

COPPA my friend.

Children Online Privacy Protection Act

You cannot collect any kind of info - even an email address - from anyone under thirteen. So everyone restricted it to thirteen and over. The day I registered, I was still twelve - four months before thirteen.

Originally posted by hbdragon88
COPPA my friend.

Children Online Privacy Protection Act

You cannot collect any kind of info - even an email address - from anyone under thirteen. So everyone restricted it to thirteen and over. The day I registered, I was still twelve - four months before thirteen.
wow, that sucks.
anyway i don't think there's anything you can do to fix this, just get a new address. remember in the future to keep the same day and just change the year :)

you didn't just do that did you? or put it forward 3 months (same day)? worth a try if you haven't already.

Originally posted by XIII
There's an age limit to registering for an email? :hmm:

Better write down your password somewhere then. :p

Crazy American laws that they try to apply to the whole World over the internet.

Top Bottom