So anyway, place your bets: when will civ7 arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s getting at that the pass is encouraging people to shore up whatever dlc they’re missing so they can get the pass for free.
Eh, I still think that people actively playing the game at this point probably have all of the DLC and people who don't dropped the game and aren't going to come back for some free content that they still have to pay for because the LP doesn't actually really fix anything with the game that probably got people to drop in the first place. If Firaxis was actually needed to make money, they would have released a proper DLC.

Eh, I still think that people actively playing the game at this point probably have all of the DLC and people who don't dropped the game and aren't going to come back for some free content that they still have to pay for because the LP doesn't actually really fix anything with the game that probably got people to drop in the first place. If Firaxis was actually needed to make money, they would have released a proper DLC.
I just don’t think they’re releasing anything as charity, or rather, I don’t that 2K would sign off on paying people to work on something without anticipating an acceptable return on the investment.

I just don’t think they’re releasing anything as charity, or rather, I don’t that 2K would sign off on paying people to work on something without anticipating an acceptable return on the investment.
No, I agree, companies don't do things for free but return on investment doesn't have to mean immediate cash rewards. I'm pretty sure that the LP probably started out as a second NFP but got shelved for whatever reason and was brought back in a reduced form to build hype for Civ7. I'm not saying some people picked up a DLC they were missing to get the LP for free, but I doubt it would be enough to make the LP profitable even in the best case scenario. Customers don't pay for advertising and I think the LP does make sense as advertising for Civ7.

I bought the game including GS before the pandemic. I played a bit, but didn't buy NFP because it wasn't sufficiently fun to merit spending *full price* for more content. Fast forward to Nov/Dec 2022, when LP is announced. If I buy the missing DLC -- on sale -- I can get LP for free. Yup, Firaxis / 2K got money from me, who hadn't bought anything for a while. I don't know if LP revenue like mine (filling in the DLC gaps) is enough to pay for the costs for producing and marketing LP. I do agree that LP could serve a dual purpose -- both short-term revenue and long-term advertising for Civ 7.

My bet is on a possible sneak preview after the final release of the leader pass in March.

My bet is on a possible sneak preview after the final release of the leader pass in March.
Late March would be 6 months before a late September Release for Civ VII: just right for a Anticipation Hype Blitz leading up to the new game . . .

I still think it's entirely possible they haven't even started Civ 7.
If that was the case then Firaxis is in bigger trouble than we thought. Because, and I'll be honest, Old World is simply eating Civ VI for lunch despite being set only in the Ancient world. Now imagine 3-4 years of uninterrupted free reign.

I am the only one who still hope to get some huge DLC for Civ 6? New civs, modes maybe, etc. I mean, all of us wanna get Civ 7 but whats the point? It will be unplayable about 1-2 years cuz of empty Vanilla game with no content as usually

I am the only one who still hope to get some huge DLC for Civ 6? New civs, modes maybe, etc. I mean, all of us wanna get Civ 7 but whats the point? It will be unplayable about 1-2 years cuz of empty Vanilla game with no content as usually
I have had a lot of fun with Civ 6 from day 1. Sure, it's more feature filled after 6 years of development than it was on day 1, but you don't know what you've missed until you actually have the new content.

I would much rather have Civ 7 sooner than additional DLC for Civ 6, especially given the noticable slippage in overall quality from New Frontier Pass onward.

Last edited:
I still think it's entirely possible they haven't even started Civ 7.
You obviously don't know how game development work. :) If it's not started, Firaxis would be in dire straits. Such games take years to make, and even if it was say 2 years away, it would be started a long time ago.

If that was the case then Firaxis is in bigger trouble than we thought. Because, and I'll be honest, Old World is simply eating Civ VI for lunch despite being set only in the Ancient world. Now imagine 3-4 years of uninterrupted free reign.
Considering Old World is almost a year old at this point and, going off Steam stats, its total units sold (57,150) is just slightly higher than the number of people that played Civ VI just yesterday (51,320 CIV vs 625 for OW), 7 years after release... I'm going to take "eating Civ VI for lunch" with the biggest grain of salt

Last edited:
Considering Old World is almost a year old at this point and, going off Steam stats, its total units sold (57,150) is just slightly higher than the number of people that played Civ VI just yesterday (51,320 CIV vs 625 for OW), 7 years after release... I'm going to take "eating Civ VI for lunch" with the biggest grain of salt
If I were to rely only on my experience, I would say that, for the same computer (pretty old, 2010 "averagely powerful"), Old World is off. I played the game maybe an hour, and it was terrible, especially compared to Civ6. When I had to set Old World graphics on the lowest, it was uglier than a Playstation 2 game, and not only that, but it ran like crap. I had to wait sometimes 30 seconds, which is pretty long, to wait my scouts uncover the fog of war, and that was without the animations and all the hideout effects... I don't know where all the power goes in that game really, Civ6 has 10000 times the beauty/performance ratio. (wonder construction, day and night, smooth animations, etc... incredible compared to Old World) So maybe I'm wondering, if your sources are exact, if the lack of compliance to the average computer market is not what cripples the game popularity. (at least if it was impressive it could stir up some more interest)
It's too bad because I have a feeling that Old World would better suit my liking than Civ6.

If I were to rely only on my experience, I would say that, for the same computer (pretty old, 2010 "averagely powerful"), Old World is off. I played the game maybe an hour, and it was terrible, especially compared to Civ6. When I had to set Old World graphics on the lowest, it was uglier than a Playstation 2 game, and not only that, but it ran like crap. I had to wait sometimes 30 seconds, which is pretty long, to wait my scouts uncover the fog of war, and that was without the animations and all the hideout effects... I don't know where all the power goes in that game really, Civ6 has 10000 times the beauty/performance ratio. (wonder construction, day and night, smooth animations, etc... incredible compared to Old World) So maybe I'm wondering, if your sources are exact, if the lack of compliance to the average computer market is not what cripples the game popularity. (at least if it was impressive it could stir up some more interest)
It's too bad because I have a feeling that Old World would better suit my liking than Civ6.
When is the last time you played the game? Performance optimization was something they were concentrating on a while back so it might run better now.

Posted it before, but I'm slightly more certain now:
Every Civ game except Civ II came out First Release in September or October.
End the Leaders packs, count six months to build hype and expectations, Civ VII Release in October of this year.

There, I've stuck my neck out with a hard prediction. I'll start laying in salt for seasoning when I have to eat those words later this year.

But note that that would make almost exactly 6 years since Civ VI was released, and that game's initial release was 73 months after Civ V's. Anything beyond that would be 1 - 3 years longer than the period between any two previous games, which I just don't see happening even with more disruption from the pandemic than we've seen evidence of.

That would make seven years since Civ6 was released (2016 - 2023) which makes it even harder for me to believe we'd have to wait even longer. It is hard for me to believe that the pandemic work from home and video conferences would slow down the process more than a few months at most, it didn't slow down the rest of video game/Internet/entertainment industry that much. Do we even have some concrete examples of video game release X being pushed back explicitly Y amount of months because of covid? The entire industry was releasing massive hits during the freakin apocalyptic 2020. You know, little indie games such as Doom Eternal and its DLCs, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Crusader Kings III, Total War Troy, 15th Assasins Creed and 57th Call od Duty etc.

Last edited:
Time will tell ... (and is a great healer) :)
If I were to rely only on my experience, I would say that, for the same computer (pretty old, 2010 "averagely powerful"), Old World is off.
Yeah, certainly it is better to do the mismatch the other way round! ;) I bought in autumn 2010 this "averagely powerful" computer (ATI Radeon5670) at ALDI and ran civ4 on it. Absolute delight!!
I was used to 1024x768 (@24'') and now 1920x1080 (@46''TV). In the city screen it showed not only the city's tiles, but also those of the neighbouring cities -- which was great for planing the exchange of tiles between cities ...

When is the last time you played the game?
Nearly a year ago.

Time will tell ... (and is a great healer) :)

Yeah, certainly it is better to do the mismatch the other way round! ;) I bought in autumn 2010 this "averagely powerful" computer (ATI Radeon5670) at ALDI and ran civ4 on it. Absolute delight!!
I was used to 1024x768 (@24'') and now 1920x1080 (@46''TV). In the city screen it showed not only the city's tiles, but also those of the neighbouring cities -- which was great for planing the exchange of tiles between cities ...

What are you talking about ? Civ4 is ugly even on a super-computer of the NASA. It was the beginning of the 3D (at least for the series) and graphics are absolute garbage and a step behind compared to Civ3. There's even a delay betweern actions, because 3D was alike at those times. I installed it lately, and I can tell you as much. By the way I bought this computer for Civ5 (with quality components, so not at ALDI :rolleyes: ), and it runs smoothly. Civ6 too. And a good number of the recent games. I bought a PS5 499€ for games that require power. (and am a bit disappointed for now, I'm struggling with Demon's Souls for now, a bit hardcore and unfair, I'm lost in the prison past the arrows thing, and I felt some times in the void :hammer2: )

Reactions: uhu
Civilization VII should come out any month after Leader Pass. I think the earliest they could do in September/October 2023. Black Friday could be a good starting date for Civ VII.

I just found my original cd-rom / dvd's of Civ 3 Beyond the Sword, Civ 4 and Civ 5. Civ 5 with all the original packaging and fold out posters of the tech tree. With a nice $49.99 dollar price tag. Throwing all in the trash. Now it's all digital with Steam. How times have changed. I played Civ 1 with two floppy disks which everyone made copies of and installed in all the rooms at College.

Brew God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom