[GS] So confused about timing Districts, Settlers and Builders

Thanks, Fluphen Azine - this is pretty similar to how I started my replay yesterday.

Spoiler :
I sent my warrior east like you this time, and got the free envoys for all 5 of the CS's in the immediate vicinity. I did still build Scout -> Slinger -> Settler though, and put that first expansion city on the horses to the northeast, and with my free Religious Settlements settler I built directly between the horses and olives to the north.

Then I got the Agoge card and started spamming out archers and warriors, and went south to take Kwango, which is about where I am at turn 45. Definitely going better than my earlier attempts!

Sounds like its going smoother.
I suggest you get your troops close to the AI borders for easy settler steals asap.
I played a little longer and was able to steal 3 settlers and 4 builders.
Kind of a big deal.
I had 4 wars going on because I DoWed two Civs for 2 free settlers.
15 turns later I got double dowed for my Evil Heart.
This game, Civs got walls up faster but I started to cut through them with swords and horses.
The Double General Stack Bonus is kinda useful as well.
3 capitals most likely by turn 80.
Still not sure if I am fast enough to get under 100 turns though.
I lost concentration and haven't used my 400+ faith in my golden age for a good many turns now.
Probably won't finish it but thought it was interesting to run through it with you.

At that stage of the game.... what?

A few weeks late responding to this, but the situation just came up again.

My problem with getting the Globalization inspiration is that getting it will tie up most of the production from my 3rd-5th best production cities ( 1 and 2 will be building spaceports) right at the time I want to run projects to grab the final relevant GPs. I also would like a few air units in this period, and maybe fill out a corps or two.

Last edited:
right at the time I want to run projects to grap the final relevant GPs. I also would like a few air units in this period, and maybe fill out a corps or two.
OK, that’s your choice. I use 0 GP’s and tend not to get aircraft dues to their production.
I will build the airstrips and buy some of the buildings as well as build. But only if necessary and possible. Every game is different. Thanks for letting me know.

I developed the preference for these things after a couple of bad experiences. Watching Kongo snatch both von Braun and Kwolek is something I don't intend to repeat, and I've noticed a pattern of surprise AI joint wars on me in the late game -- last-ditch attempts to stop me from winning, perhaps.

Last edited:
This has to be very rare.
I must have played 15 to 20 practice games as Simon in the last few days.
All Standard Deity Games, up to turn 50 to 100.
Not even close to early 30s PP.
I'm pretty sure I have never rolled a close Natural Wonder giving that much culture since the new content.
Not that it can't happen but you have to be playing something like Abundant Resources, etc etc.
Apocalyptic Mode kinda messes things up a bit as well with Floods and Volcanoes going off every few turns.
I have a savegame with Columbia and Paititi and some spices... pretty good start, but its on Emperor. Can send it to you. Was my first game after buying the newest Expansion Pass ;)
edit: also first goodie hut was a relic. really lucky start

Edit:2

actually, I have a question. I think its within the thread's topic - if one have a relic or some early faith tile, see a good wonder to be used by 2nd city (or just a good spot) and is going for DV, should he choose Religious Settlments over God of the Forge?

and the second one, also about settling - is DV viable @ emporor+ when you do not start wars in ancient/classical era but rather do classical expand and do war later?

Last edited:
Top Bottom