So how has your most recent game gone?

NintendoTogepi

Noble Pacifist
My recent game is...weird.

Fractal, high sea level. I was playing as Peter with the OCC option on.

I handpicked my opponents:

1. Huayna Capac
2. Pacal II
3. American (I didn't specify a leader, just the civ)
4. Montezuma
5. Sitting Bull
6. Kublai Khan (doesn't fit in with the other 5 :lol:)

In my start I notice I have stone. Great.

Soon within about 30 turns I have received messages that both the Aztec and the Mongolian civilizations had been destroyed! I think it was the Barb event but I'm not sure.

I grabbed the Pyramids, the Great Wall, the Hanging Gardens and the Great Library with ease. I also got the Partheon with a GE, and later Angkor Wat, Taj with a GE and Statue of Library partially GE'd.

But the game is going kind of weird. Buddhism has control of 66% of the world...I won the Liberalism race but just barely. Sitting Bull had a small continent to himself where he founded Taoism and Confucianism. Also, I built a small stack and DoW'd on Washington to get through to the (Still barb controlled) Aztec capital, also the Hindu holy city. I wanted there to be one less religion causing trouble :lol: (Washington later planted Buffalo where the ruins of Tenochitlan was...:p)

But the big problem is that Huayna has a massive empire (he REX'd like crazy and left Pacal with only 5 or 6 cities) and Washington has an even bigger one. (he took over all of the land that Kublai and Montezuma would have had, which was infact a bizarrely small peninsula and a few islands.

I doubt I'll be able to win. But it's certainly an interesting game.

The game before this was REALLY weird. It was so weird I had to post another thread about it.

Witnessed a serious case of persistent AI resistance on only Monarchy level.

Sitting Bull's 6 city civ is on a peninsula (like today's Korea).
I'm easily leading the tech race and got the jump on everyone with oil. He starts a random war with me: the planets dominant power!? I decide to quickly send down my modern fleet of destroyers to harass him while I continue to internally upgrade my cities. I thought I'd just surround his waters and blockcade him into submission so he'll make peace and stop any WW.
Once inside his waters, my destroyers get harassed by airships and I notice he's got stupid amounts of caravels in his ports. I ignore these obsolete units and proceed to rape his fisheries and set up a blockcade which inturn starts to send his population into a steep decline. All under control; just continue my merry building and wait for his peace plee whenever he's ready......NOT!!!

The sly AI, never to give up, starts a freaky comeback. A comeback that involves removing destroyers from his waters with airships and caravels. While I've basically written the primative Native Americans off, they systematically proceed to bomb a single destroyer with a stack of 6 airships before ramming several caravels into it and eventually sinking it! They repeat this technique until there's so little of my fleet left I must drip feed my home-fleet into it to try maintain the blockcade. He still does'nt want peace; even though I'm now offering it to stem the WW that starting to kick in.

Even though he is suffering wicked losses (giving me a couple of cheap generals!) and his economy is shattered, he's still seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Now he's got combustion and some hatemonger has traded him access to oil! My occupying fleet is disolving under the fresh barrage, so I stage a subtle retreat to save whats left of my veteran destroyers.

I've just finished my round of building upgrades and am thinking of adding to the remnants of my fleet; bolster it up and get ready to seriously give it to Sitting Bull and end this disruptive war once and for all.....NOT!
He does a Pearl Harbour on me from nowhere and now I'm fighting to keep my fisheries from being raped. My coastal cities zerg battleships, destroyers and afew subs to clear the waters. Soon missile cruisers and laden aircraft carriers come on tap and we're pushing our way back to finally to the job good this time! I crush him with my newly aquired respect this time. Razed all his cities in rage (except one, left as a airbase\staging area for springboard attack on this continent) and felt the relief as the WW disappeared.

I note that Sitting Bull never wanted to make peace until he had only one hopelessly overwhelmed city left! I greatly admired his dogged resistance under seemingly impossible odds.:crazyeye:

I've got two similar and somewhat uninteresting games going. I play on Noble with Huge shuffle maps, random leaders, high sea levels (to cut down on game time) and epic game length. Both maps ended up being arch maps.

The first game as Hannibal I'm on a small island with room for about three cities way up toward the north pole. There is a long island chain that extends all the way down to the southern arctic where Khmer and the Ottomans are. I focus on building a strong economy by completing the Great Lighthouse and Colossus, while I try to colonize all the islands before the other two can. I end up colonizing most of it first, and I work towards getting macemen. I build an army of macemen and invade the Ottomans while they still have archers. I destroy them and keep most of their cities. With that war done, I declare war on Khmer. Most of their land is tundra which I could care less about so I just raze their capital and they are ready to capitulate.

I beeline for optics and astronomy and find the other civs. America is alone on a really tiny island by themselves. The Maya have a larger island chain to themselves. Native America is alone on a small island. Arabia, Sumeria and Ethiopia are all crammed on a decent sized continent. I race toward rifles and upgrade about seven city raider 3 macemen to riflemen. I invade America who still has archers, raze their capital and they capitulate. Then I attack Zara, who is in the number two spot in tech and land. I burn much of his empire to the ground. He doesn't capitulate, so I make peace with him since he is effectively crippled for the rest of the game. I then capitulate the Native Americans. By this time I have infantry so I upgrade all my riflemen and invade the Mayans.... I still have most of the city raid 3 units, and thanks to the Charismatic trait and the EX bonus from great generals, a couple of them are up to combat 5 and are working on getting their drill promotions. Soon I'll have tanks and I'll be invading Arabia and Sumer. I probably won't conquer everyone and just go for a space race or diplomacy win.

My other game is with Tokugawa and it is basically going exactly the same way. Knock out all the civs I can and settle everything I can till Astronomy. Use my tech superiority to invade backwards civs. Invade someone else once a new, better war technology comes around. Rinse. Repeat.

Arch maps use to be my favorite type, but now I'm ready for some pangea's or a continents map... Thinking about bumping the difficulty up too.

I just finished my first (real) game ever in CIV IV, Warlord level (to learn the mechanics), small size, 2 continents, as Victoria of the English.

I started with 2 other civs (Pacal II and Montumeza) on my continent and 2 more (Isabella and some Celtic guy) on the other continent.

Looking back, it was pretty easy (I'm a CIV III veteran). I just basically dominated production, GNP, and food output. Early on I focused on settlers (with my 50% bonus from Victoria) and expanded quickly. Then I focused on peaceful growth combined with good defense (I had only 3 border cities so I defended them well).

Then I figured I was way too powerful to stay peaceful, so I planned the take-over of my continent. By 1850 it was done.

Then all I had to do was just basically build a kick ass destroyer fleet and keep growing. In the mean time I got elected for the United Nations Secretary-General and waited until the proper moment to get enough votes for a diplomatic victory from my population alone. Easy win. Score 16,000 something (normalized)... And I have no clue if that is good or bad for a Warlord game.

I'm taking a little break, playing Oblivion for now, but I'm definitely gonna jump to noble for my next game.

My last 2 games I had no oil and would have needed to fight two civs at once to get some. In my current game I'm practicing my SE playing as Gandhi, but HC is next to me and he seems to tech much faster than other financial leaders for some reason. I actually WBed him down to no tech and 3 cities and he was back to where he was in like 50 turns... and hes such a religion whore. I hate HC, too bad I can't just give him smallpox.

Pangea Map, AI built the AP, I followed suit for hammers. I was expanding with religion (pacifism), friends w everyone. The turn after i went to war w Hannibal I had enough to be a diplo victory candidate- no one really voted for me since I was at war, so I lost the Diplo Victory.:mad: Had I'd known I was gonna be running for Diplo, I would have never went to war over cheap land

Earth 18 civ map, julius ceasar, noble.

just wanted to try this map for a few turns but i got sucked into the game.

since its on noble the Ai starts with just a warrior or a scout. and since in europe everbody starts out right next to eachother i simply killed the french and germans in the furst 10 turns. madrid became the holy city of budhism and was annexed with the first pret. after that it was a rollercoaster ride to victory with all the resources that map offers! its insane, rome starts with stone marble bunch of seafood etc. i was Rexring (3 cities on autobuild settlers for the entire game) and the economy never crumbled.

got a 200k score with a domination vic.

i might try this one on monarch next time

fun map :)

does anybody know if you can change leaders somehow and play it with augustus? or how to shut down barbarians or put them on raging? i.e. how to play a scenario map in a custom game?

First ever win on Monarch without any (almost) war. I say no was on a shuffle map with varied continents and ended up on a small one with Rangar. I was Darius and so took his 2 cities he had developed a bit with immortals very early and never went to war again. This is unheard of for me but it worked.

I developed 16 cities as a builder, granting independance to a colony of 3 mid game, I stayed ahead tech race and until rifles has almost no army of any kind. Then I just went for the space race but maintained an ever larger army to put people off attacking me which worked.

Although I got a good score it was stil 1966 at the end and was still not as good as any of the dominations scores them being earlier also.

Won previous game, just..., without iron, uranium or coal.

Unfortunately, I haven't been having very many "great" games lately. They've either been extremely boring or extremely, well, just horrible.

Fortunately, though, my recent game has been amazing. I'm playing on a large Terra map with the RevolutionsDCM mod as Julius Caesar (did a random pick). I believe there were 14 civs but it doesn't really matter because Revolutions destroys that number in the end anyway.

I manage to get a strong hold of four cities near the northwestern coast of the continent. Almost immediately in the game, near the middle east of the continent, Stalin's Russia turns to revolution as both German and French rebels start blazing through his five cities. Bismark's Germany manages to take St. Petersburg as its capital as well as Moscow, Novgorod, and a couple other cities. France never managed to take anything. Frederick almost immediately took over Germany and established the Kingdom of Germany. The Arabians to the south declared a war against Frederick and took St. Petersburg. Amazingly, Frederick took it back and managed to get peace despite Saladin having the world's strongest army at the time.

Moving on to the midwest, Isabella's Spain incurs revolution as well, with Portugese Rebels managing to take Madrid in a matter of turns. Following that, my neighbor Zara makes Joao his vassal and declares war on a one-city Spain. Six or seven other civs declare on Spain as well. Isabella was somehow a very tough beast, though, and managed to fend off five of them. I got Joao and Zara to declare peace. Joao then broke the vassalage and only a few years later, Holy Rome below me declared war on them and walked in and took Madrid, no questions asked, knocking the Portugese off the planet. A few hundred years later, Isabella became Zara's vassal in what I found to be a hilarious turn of events.

To the southwest, the Ottomans faced a similar, yet far more deadly fate. The three Ottoman cities fell to revolution, Istanbul getting captured by the Persian Rebels, and their third city, Ankara, falling to Byzantine Rebels. They managed to hold on to their second city as their capital. That left the Ottoman empire as three different Kingdoms. Since the Ottomans were annoyed with me, I decided to take them out before they caused any trouble. I walked into their capital with ease and knocked them out in, I believe, three turns. That was the end of the Ottomans. As if it were fate, a Great Artist appeared in Antium, so I sent him over and "fixed" the ex-Ottoman capital.

Within a few turns, I see Darius I of the Persian Sultanate of Istanbul going from Friendly with me to Cautious. I don't approve. I gather up an army and attack it. I normally wouldn't have cared, but the city I just took needed a bit more of a foundation to sit on, otherwise the culture would have gone entirely Persian. Further, Istanbul was a 13 city. A decent prize, I thought. Istanbul actually took a few turns, since it was 80% defended. Had to pull out about five turns of Trebuchet bombardment to get it to where I wanted it to be, then attacked and successfully took it.

That left the Byzantine Kingdom of Ankara directly to the east of Istanbul to be handled later. He's still pleased with me, though, and I don't intend to do anything to him until I feel he can cause any damage to me.

Moving on to the colonization age; I was the first to discover Astronomy. I already had settlers, workers, and units ready to move, so as soon as I got Astronomy, I converted my already planned Galleys into Galleons and sent them off to the "new world". What do I find there? Three natives, Greece, Sumeria, and the Netherlands. All of which declare war on me upon meeting me. Things didn't go so well for the Netherlands, though, as the moment they declared war on me, Zulu Rebels popped up and took over 75% of the country in revolution. After another hundred or so years, I have about four settlements in this new world, and am sending over more units to keep things safe.

Meanwhile, where I left off last night at about 3AM: As I had finished planting my fifth settlement on that new continent, Mansa Musa, a longtime trade partner and ally to the north of me decides to declare war. Not sure how this one is going to go, but his first wave of units were, to say the least, quite pitiful.

And here's an (almost) current map of the world [from a couple turns before war was declared and I founded my fourth settlement on that continent]:

I'm the Aztecs playing on a Marathon Standard Fractal map with 11 other AI civs at Noble level. There is no tech trading as I have gotten used to that on multi-player games. The map turned out to be mostly a pangaea with two small islands on opposite ends and a far off island in the middle of nowhere with barbs.

Isabella founded Buddhism but was destroyed rather swiftly either by barbs or by Portugal as Joao owned the holy city of Madrid for most of the game. Early on it became a Buddhist world as my Aztecs, Portugal, Mongols, and the Khmers all adopted the religion. I ended up joining in a war with Gengis Khan against Asoka. The Khmers joined in too and we all split up India. Next Joao attacked Pacal of the Mayans who founded Confucianism and I was able to take Chichen Itza and sign a treaty. The next war had me helping the Khmers against Korea and their damn protective longbows. I didn't have the army or units to take any of their cities so I just pillaged their land until a more formidable force could show up. Then the Mongols joined in on the action and we ended up splitting up Korea between the two of us.

By now my economy was just about crashed as I was too spread out and could barely afford my army so I took some time to consolidate building sacrificial altars everywhere. My capital city was having a tough time growing as it had three slave revolts during the game. I never even had a chance to whip anything.

The Mongols built the Apostolic Palace and had vassalized England and Rome and were now the largest and most powerful civ in the game. It looked like the Buddhist block would be able to start a holy war with Pacal when out of nowhere my longtime ally, Joao declared war on me and had freed a colony on a western island and America emerged on the same island the Byzantines were stuck on. For whatever reason Portugal declared war on me, the Mongols, the Khmers, and the Mayans. I still haven't the foggiest idea what happened but it started an interesting situation. I opened up relations with the Mayans giving them open borders as the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Not long after the open borders agreement, they asked to become a vassal of mine and not long after that I converted them to the true Buddhist faith. The war against Portugal went well as I sent my knights, trebs, macemen and the first musketmen and took the holy city of Madrid and two other cities which cut Portugal in half. As the Khmers moved an army on the Portuguese mainland, I opened up peace talks and was able to make Portugal another vassal.

As it stands now, I have just started building grenadiers and cannons. The Mongols have curassiers and have been fighting wars against the island nation of the Dutch who built the Pyramids and the Shwedagon Paya and have been running Representation and Free Religion for quite some time. I'm concerned that they are getting really advanced. Though now the world is at peace.

I was able to finish both the University of Sankore and the Spiral Minaret and I was able to get a Great Prophet to build the shrine in Madrid. Now I'm raking in the gold. The plan is to move toward nationalism and riflemen, build or draft a small force and occupy the barb island and maybe make it a colony. Then, build up my southern border and my Indian and Korean cities scattered between Mongolia, Khmers, and England. It is eventually going to come down to a conflict between my Aztecs and the Mongols but maybe we can work together to defeat the Dutch. The Byzantines are hopelessly backwards and isolated and really have not played much of a role. I didn't even know where they were for a majority of the game.

I have the Mayans and the Portuguese vassalled on the western side and the Mongols have England as a vassal in the east. Rome just declared independence but most of the continent is Buddhist . The Khmers sit to my south and really have fallen in prestige since where they had been earlier in the game. The Byzantines are stuck on an island to the west with America holding on to their only Portuguese city. Then there is the Dutch isolated on a southern island but advancing quickly. It is going to come down to my Aztecs, the Mongols, and the Dutch it looks like but there is still a lot of time left as we are just about to enter the 1700s.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 54
Had my earliest genocide (wiped out the Persians) with Holkans as Pacal, only to realise how horrible my starting land mass is.

Right now it's ~1700 and me and Mansa are tech leaders but low in power. My evil plan is to go burn down his capital and main production city with my rifles vs his Longbows so that he can no longer compete with me and so he'll look like a tastier target than me in the eyes of the AI.

It's looking like it's going to be my first Space Race victory (first non-military victory, actually) in a long, long time.

Awful. I played my first Monarch game, and started with a Random Leader (should've chosen someone I'm good with). Came up with Sitting Bull. Couldn't keep up with Tech or Military, made some silly mistakes and just gave up once I realised how rubbish I am now

Oh well, I'll try a couple more, maybe just stick to Prince for a while

Top Bottom