So I'm in Cambridge, Maryland...

I recently moved to Maryland myself! I live in Hyattsville now, in an effort to save a few bucks compared to living in DC proper. I declare Hyattsville to be throughly whatever! I can't stand the DMV, but I don't blame Maryland for that.

Maryland has a cool flag, a cool land-grant university, cool seafood, and cool hiking once you get out of DC. Everything about DC sucks.

Really? I heard it a lot. :confused:

Yeah. Never heard it. Of course, it could've been that I've heard it now and then but thought people were referring to the motor vehicle administration as Rashiminos mentions above.

I recently moved to Maryland myself! I live in Hyattsville now, in an effort to save a few bucks compared to living in DC proper. I declare Hyattsville to be throughly whatever! I can't stand the DMV, but I don't blame Maryland for that.

Depending on where in Hyattsville you live. Is it close to the Metro station?

Don't you work out in Greenbelt or Laurel or something? Probably a lot easier commute than from NW.

Maryland has a cool flag, a cool land-grant university, cool seafood, and cool hiking once you get out of DC. Everything about DC sucks.

Yeah, DC is a nice place to go on a day trip, but I would hate to live there. I live in downtown Silver Spring, and I hate just being near it. But then I'm from what Rashminos referred to above as "the hinterlands," so this whole "urban living" thing is still something that rubs me wrong.

Your new state resident indoctrination is slipping... ;)

Motor Vehicle Administration?

? DMV = DC/Maryland/Virginia, a nickname for the DC Metro Area

I lived in the DC area for twelve years and I've never heard anyone refer to it as such, actually. :confused:

Only occasionally do I hear it, and almost always from out-of-towners.

Depending on where in Hyattsville you live. Is it close to the Metro station?

Don't you work out in Greenbelt or Laurel or something? Probably a lot easier commute than from NW.

I live close to the Metro Station, yeah. My office is in Dupont Circle, but I'm in College Park often for Maryland events, and the Greenbelt --> BWI for road trips is useful.

I'm in Silver Spring a lot, and I like it a little better, but Hyattsville is cheaper. I tried to live in SS when I first moved to the area.

I'm in Silver Spring a lot, and I like it a little better, but Hyattsville is cheaper. I tried to live in SS when I first moved to the area.

Yeah, I have to live with 3 other people in order to afford it. But all things considered, it's a good deal (we're just outside of "downtown" but close enough for an easy walk to the town center or metro station, so rent is a bit lower than if we were right on Georgia Avenue).

However, if you ever consider moving to SS, tell me first, and I can recommend my leasing office to you and get a free month's rent if you accept! :cowboy:

Why is there a force to ban alcohol in parts of Maryland?

Ah, cool. Is that because you're a mod here?

Because I'm a staff member, but not the moderating directly.

Never been up to Hunt Valley, but when I lived in Towson I would catch the light rail at the Timonium fairgrounds if I was going into town. Worth the trip to the Inner Harbor if you get the chance; see the ballpark, the aquarium, eat at the bangin Irish place next to the USS Constellation...

I caught the light rail from Hunt Valley to Penn Station to then get to DC (where I am now). Penn Station was really contrasting. The light rail section was dilapidated and dirty, but then the rest of the station was nice enough (though has nothing on Union Station).

Union Station is truly lovely, most of all during Christmas time. At an Irish Pub across the street from there is where I very nearly met the President on St. Paddy's Day a few years ago. Missed him by less than an hour.

Penn Station Baltimore has an older feel to it, I always liked catching trains there. The station could be in a better location, though. And not have that god-awful statue outside.

Enjoy Washington! The weather is fantastic for it. A bit warm for this time of year, but lovely all the same.

Top Bottom