So much for offshore drilling: Oil rig explodes off Loiusiana

You think I'm exaggerating? Then explain their engineering failures in the gulf.

It's not engineering failure here. If there is failure here, it is management failure. Engineer's in many ways are no different than anybody else. They just do what management tells them to do. If they were told by management to ignore a broken safety valve, then it isn't on them. If they were told to ignore problems with the cement, then it wasn't their problem. Etc. BP is a mega-billion dollar company. They have thousands of facilities and thousands of employees. Within their field accidents and micro-negligence is bound to occur from time to time. It's hardly indicative of some internal cancer that exists within the people of an energy.

It's not engineering failure here. If there is failure here, it is management failure. Engineer's in many ways are no different than anybody else. They just do what management tells them to do. If they were told by management to ignore a broken safety valve, then it isn't on them. If they were told to ignore problems with the cement, then it wasn't their problem. Etc. BP is a mega-billion dollar company. They have thousands of facilities and thousands of employees. Within their field accidents and micro-negligence is bound to occur from time to time. It's hardly indicative of some internal cancer that exists within the people of an energy.

There is a cancer in much of the world; its called Greed.

It's hardly indicative of some internal cancer that exists within the people of an energy.
It is if the engineers are all cowards who won't stand up to hopelessly corrupt and criminal management as you just portrayed them.

There is a cancer in much of the world; its called Greed.

It's nice to see we've stepped away from hyperbole and gone to trite.

Have experts willing to ignore broken safety valves and prioblems wuiith tcement and a bunch of suits telling them to do so is not indicative of some sort of cancer? If thousands of facilities and thousands of employees are too much to manage, downsize or get out of business.

It's nice to see we've stepped away from hyperbole and gone to trite.

I just heard on the radio yesterday that there was testimony that someone from BP came to speed up the work because they were behind schedule. It was costing BP millions in delays. They tried to cut corners and it literally blew up in their face. You are telling me that greed had nothing do with it? Greed is also the reason for the recent recession and host of other man made crisis. It's mankind's biggest flaw so it's certainly not "trite" to call it what it is.

Why would they want to fix a system which makes them rich and powerful, as well as pays almost all the bills to get reelected?

I just heard on the radio yesterday that there was testimony that someone from BP came to speed up the work because they were behind schedule. It was costing BP millions in delays. They tried to cut corners and it literally blew up in their face. You are telling me that greed had nothing do with it? Greed is also the reason for the recent recession and host of other man made crisis. It's mankind's biggest flaw so it's certainly not "trite" to call it what it is.

While I've heard this as well. I've also heard that everyone ultimately went along with the rep specifically because of safety measures that were in place. Why does greed have anything to do with it? BP is just looking to satisfy their customers by providing them with quality gasoline and energy.

So, did Palin blame Obama yet?

Let's not get seditious here. :lol:

A false dichotomy?

Maybe, but it certainly wasn't my intention to present it that way. Obviously, BP has put some of the best engineers it has on the response team to deal with the crisis. Unfortunately, they also seem to have put some bad apples in key positions leading up to it. Not all of them are as equally bad just for being BP employees. You do have to wonder what would make an otherwise good person sign on with a bad company. Did they think that maybe they could have positive influence on things? I've had my own share of greedy, inconsiderate bosses over the years. For some of them, it was all about the bottom line and nothing I did or said changed their minds.

Top Bottom