DeSantis Cuts and Runs, Backs Trump.

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.

Jan. 21, 2024Updated 3:27 p.m. ET

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida suspended his campaign for president on Sunday, just two days before the New Hampshire primary election, and endorsed former President Donald J. Trump.

It marked a spectacular implosion for a candidate once seen as having the best chance to dethrone Mr. Trump as the Republican Party’s nominee in 2024. His departure from the race leaves Nikki Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, as Mr. Trump’s last rival standing.

Mr. DeSantis’s devastating 30-percentage-point loss to Mr. Trump in the Iowa caucuses last Monday had left him facing a daunting question: Why keep going? On Sunday, he provided his answer, acknowledging there was no point in soldiering on.

“I am today suspending my campaign,” Mr. DeSantis said in a video posted after The New York Times reported he was expected to leave the race. He added: “Trump is superior to the current incumbent, Joe Biden. That is clear. I signed a pledge to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that pledge. He has my endorsement because we can’t go back to the old Republican guard of yesteryear.”

Mr. DeSantis flew home to Tallahassee late Saturday after campaigning in South Carolina.

The GQP has so embraced fascism that even other fascists can't really mount a challenge. Haley being the only other contender, and she was in 3rd place, and DeSantis didn't back her as a moderation on the fascism.

ı will really avoid US Election stuff but a snicker is in order . Whatever America has been doing onto others , it is only just that it should happen to America too . Two terms is guaranteed as the 21st century thing , Trump lost or "lost" or whatever . There will be no rules .

there is a country where the intelligentsia has been laughing at the guy who keeps winning for the past 22 or 23 years .

there is a country where the intelligentsia has been laughing at the guy who keeps winning for the past 22 or 23 years .

What country would that be?

The U.S. should be grateful that two consecutive terms are all that are allowed. We had Harper for nearly 10 years.

new Turkey and the PM . Who is the direct role model for the Presidential candidates in America right now though that will lead to more disbelief from those who think America is exceptional in all of its things .

said ı would avoid these kind of threads , so possible questions can be quickly explained that American experience in control of elections in other countries led to a situation where the American "security establishment" decided they could and should do it back home , too .

Seems to have realised the inevitable. Still, I’m surprised he’s endorsed Trump, especially before Trump is the official nominee.

This is extremely funny, although he remains a threat if/when Trump dies, since he still somehow polls better with non-primary voters than Trump. That said, he is such a weird dude and so lacks charisma I am not sure he can win in, say, 2028, especially since he is like just one inch taller than Whitmer, which is absolutely brutal for a guy who tries to embody whatever it is he tries to wmbody.

DeSantis backing out before the first primary is funny enough but backing out and endorsing Trump makes him the biggest **** in American political history

There is a woman House rep from upstate NY that is angling to be his VP. I forget her name.

ELISE STEFANIK​

Stefanik, a five-term congresswoman, has morphed from a Bush administration staff member into one of the party’s most prominent Trump supporters.
[IMG width="604px" alt="A photograph of Elise Stefanik."]https://static01.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2023-10-31-trump-veep/_images/stefanik.jpg[/IMG]
Hans Pennink/Associated Press

PROS​

• A 39-year-old woman and rising Republican, Stefanik would bring youth and gender diversity to a ticket with the septuagenarian Trump.
  • She has a proven ability to reinvent herself as the political moment necessitates.
  • Her questioning of three college presidents about antisemitism turned into a bombshell moment and led to the resignations of two of them, in what was widely viewed as a victory for conservatives.

CONS​

• Her devotion to Trump may be surpassed only by her own political ambition. There’s room for only one personal brand at Mar-a-Lago.
  • She’s from New York, which despite Republican gains remains a solidly blue state.

Much more here.

Top Bottom