Aristocrat and boyfriend 'carried baby around in Lidl bag in fatal runaway bid'

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter

An aristocrat and her boyfriend killed their newborn baby girl after taking the "selfish" and "arrogant" decision to go on the run from authorities in the middle of a freezing winter, the Old Bailey has heard.
Constance Marten, 36, and Mark Gordon, 48, sparked a national manhunt when they went missing last December, in an alleged bid to avoid their baby being taken into care.

It is said they caused the death of their daughter – referred to as Baby A - while hiding from authorities and camping in the winter cold, without sufficient clothing, warmth, and "scarcely any food".
The baby was carried around in a Lidl 'bag for life' in the last days that she was alive, it is alleged.

Tom Little KC, prosecuting, said the case made national news headlines during the manhunt between December 2022 and February 2023.
The couple dumped the baby’s body in a shopping bag, abandoned in a disused shed under a pile of rubbish, Mr Little said.

He told jurors the trial revolves around the "entirely avoidable death of a young baby - a young baby girl who would still be alive if it was not for the reckless, utterly selfish, callous, cruel, arrogant and ultimately grossly negligent conduct of these two defendants, who were the parents of that young baby girl.

"They put their relationship and their view of life before the life of a little baby girl," he said.
The baby’s body was found in the Hollingbury area of Brighton at the end of a lengthy manhunt for the missing couple. “Rather than act in the obvious best interests of a vulnerable baby and one that they should have cared for and looked after, they decided instead that they knew best”, said the prosecutor.

Mr Little said Marten and Gordon had already had four children taken off them by authorities, and when she fell pregnant in early 2022 with their fifth child they "knew the child would be taken into care".

I don't know what powers exactly, but can't help but think authorities should have had more powers to intervein earlier.

It is a terrible case. I have not read what caused the other children to be taken away, but if the system is set up such that the only way these people could have a child together was to hide it from the authorities it should not come as too much of a shock when they hide their child from the authorities.

It is a terrible case. I have not read what caused the other children to be taken away, but if the system is set up such that the only way these people could have a child together was to hide it from the authorities it should not come as too much of a shock when they hide their child from the authorities.

I suspect that recurring neglect or abuse or substance abuse are a factor.

There's people here as well who have had all their kids taken off them due to neglect/abuse.

Top Bottom