1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So what are you loving? Not loving?

Discussion in 'CivRev - General Discussions' started by Sanveann, Jul 10, 2008.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Love:
    Catherine, Cleopatra's mammaries.

2. GrayInvisible

GrayInvisible Chieftain

Someone needs to get out more.

3. se7entee7

se7entee7 Chieftain

yep
    and last night I left behind a Great General doing it:cry:

4. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

It's annoying to have so many of my free ships (from the "first to discover tech.." feature) all spawning in little ponds instead of the coast.

5. fishlore

fishlore Prince

AI.
    Before I got too far into my first game I thought people were overblowing the Aggressive AI. Now that I've hit mid-to-late game I see that every single word is true.

- If you're winning they all gang up on you.
    - If you're loosing they all gang up on you.
    - If an AI civ is running away with the game, they all gang up on you.
    - Every single trun I'm threatened by someone with ridiculous demands whether we're at war or not.
    - If I waste my entire treasury to get a nation to attack someone else it lasts for 4 turns of the AI doing absolutely nothing.

I enjoy a good Civ war like anyone else. When every single civ, nearly every single turn of the game is at war with you it doesn't feel like you're leading a civilation through time against other civilizations. It feels like you're playing a video game that artificially ups the difficulty level through unrealistic means and completely removes the feeling of leading a nation.

All in all I think the game is okay, but don't see myself putting in nearly the number of hours I have for previous versions because being at war the entire game against every other civ simply isn't fun for me.

6. fl0atfaced0wn

fl0atfaced0wn Chieftain

i second everything you just said. i think i should have went the mgs4 route :(. im a die hard civ fan but this isnt what i signed up for. maybe through time they'll send out updates and change afew things and the game will be better. i played all the way through last night with the frenchies and before i could even get settled in the japs won with a space race. i dont want a space race .. i want an all out long lasting domination battle. for all the reshipping dates they had with this title i thought they had plenty of time to do better than this. this is just my opinions and i mean no disrespect to anyone else who loves this game.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Before you could get settled in, they won a space race? How is that even possible?

8. Killer Moogle

Killer Moogle Chieftain

Maybe it was a MP match against BOSS NASTi? ;)

9. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Annoyance - the AI isn't settling their cities in a uniform fashion. One city here, one way over there on the other side of my country, one right in the middle of my country, yadda yadda. Shades of civ3.

10. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

They don't do that in Civ3 haven't since the first patch in 2001. unless you're still playing the unpatched vanilla version.

11. Copywriter

Copywriter Warlord

Love:

AI's demands and apparent aggressiveness - I play Civ IV. This version is just for added fun now and then and I expect more video game type play.

Experience - nice break from Civ IV on my large HDTV. :)

Hate:

Maps - this is my biggest gripe. I really want a Civ IV-style map control.

Wish for a change:

When you get a free unit/building, I wish you could place it instead of it just being randomly assigned.

Way to turn off auto-selecting what units to move (like Civ IV). That way I can move around the map and cycle through desired units. Oh, I guess forced end turn is an extra that could be added too.

12. 10DeadInside10

10DeadInside10 Chieftain

Love
    - The bright vibrant colors
    - The trophy room
    - The battles and how it shows you who has the advantage
    - The characters

Not Loving
    - ******** AI that goes to war for not giving them a tech
    - Short gameplay
    - Diplomacy doesn't have very many options
    - You cannot control your workers as much as before

Overall, I Love this game. Anything Civ I'll always enjoy.

13. Widowmaker313

Widowmaker313 Warlord

Leo's is a one time upgrade, but if you use it after you get combustion, you will be happy, and German Elite Units get free upgrades.

14. Sanveann

Sanveann Chieftain

Thought of a couple more things I forgot to mention in my first post. I'm not happy about:

* The lack of a mini map.

* Only one nuke. (And, might I say, my husband gets WAY too excited about nuking other civs!)

* Limited diplomacy (no right of passage, map sharing, etc.)

And after playing a LOT, I'm increasingly tired of the stupid AI. If I didn't give you Albert Einstein the last 10 times, I'm not giving him to you now. If the last 30 legion armies you sent didn't take out my city, the next 30 won't, either.

That said, I'm still playing it like crazy, so clearly, I love the game. But it could definitely use some tweaks for the next version.

15. Copywriter

Copywriter Warlord

I was playing a game on warlord setting for fun. Since the game has no open borders and the AI won't declare war for standing in the way, I just built a load of cheap units and blocked the way all over the place.

Nothing like watching a Civ that can't expand. Units just go back and forth between 2 tiles.

Now that's stupid. :D

16. fl0atfaced0wn

fl0atfaced0wn Chieftain

my first thoughts to this game were negative. i would have paid Sid to take this game back but after playing single player i have realized that its actually a pretty good game. but here are the two biggest things that i think should be changed to make it a great game

-speed (such as epic, marathon, and so forth like on civ4 for the players like me that want the game to last awhile) this being of course only on single player.
    -being able to choose your own style of game. im tired of playing single player and im going for a domination victory (which is the only victory ill play for) and as soon as my army is ready to put everyone to sleep .. the japs or the egyptians just launched a shuttle into space to win the game. this being single and multiplayer. now granted to change this i could dominate early in the game but i do actually like playing with the tanks from time to time.

now heres another thing ... i thought going into the store to buy this game i couldnt wait to get the multiplayer going. well now that i have waited four days to finally get into a multiplayer match i have found out that i much rather play single player. Im actually playing someone right now and inbetween turns i have 1.) cleaned my whole house 2.) taken my dog for a walk (no lie) 3.) i have ate a whole bag of grapes 4.) had a full conversation on myspace 5.)written this. im actually hoping he gets kicked so i dont lose points for leaving. maybe not all games will be this painfully boring but this guy/gal is going to make me flip channels to espn very soon while waiting for him to look at the tech tree up and down afew times.

17. JavalTigar

JavalTigar Overlord of the West

I have the DS version and have played 6 games so far.

LOVE:
    graphics, reminds me of Civ1 - old school for the win.
    fast pace, get in quick and kick some tail
    interface , stylus makes it easy to play and eat lunch for at work civing
    armies, I missed those
    upgrades, march & blitz are ugly when you get an army of tanks with a great leader

HATE:
    advisors, do they really have to remind me EVERY turn to build the wonders for Econ & Culture win
    Movement, agree with above for no stack move
    Menus, agree with above that the default diplomacy is not to tell them to pack sand.
    Closure, disappointed with the lack of victory cinematic for all of them. would gladly give up playback and histo graph for a Alpha Centauri landing movie.

But all that aside, Not since civ1 came out on Super NES have I been so hooked on a game. I think about it at random times in the day & I love it. I can't wait for my next fix.

When I found out this was coming to the DS, I bought one the next payday in January so I would get used to the stylus controller for it.

To answer all the other threads: WELL WORTH $170 for game and DS to have civ on the go.

18. Surreptitous

Surreptitous Chieftain

Well the game just got released here in the US and I spent all of last night playing it...I must say at first I was thrilled...I was playing on King mode to get the hang of things. After I reached about 2000AD...it got horribly boring I felt like I was playing assassin's creed...just going to get it over with. The lack of unit counter bonuses ie war elephant 100% against mounted...makes the game's units all feel the same, and it's system seems to be broken. I loose so many times with almost double the odds, it's very frustrating. I like that I can block people off easier but that usually has to do with the long outstretched penninsulas the PS3 always generates, as you said..no options for changing the maps.

---- options really helped the PC versions and there really is no reason all the options couldn't be implimented in the console vesion except maybe to save time. All victory conditions other than domination seem, what's the word...usless. The wonders take a very long time to complete without whipping and chopping. I don't know...I think my overall fun level depretiated significantly over the course of a few hours. The multiplayer is 2000 times better it's very fuin to play while speaking with your freinds, but the CPU AI is something to scold.

The AI seems like they are all on a pact with eachother against me...diplomachy is unheard of...lol (give me your great scientist and I'll not attack you)...come on I am not going to cough up my GP when I have 3 tank armies sitting outside your capitol....or give you 2k gold when you havn't made a ship past my navys yet...

Brings me to another thing.. Navy warfare seems easier. It was always frustrating in CIV IV when I had a 25 ship navy and they could just slip past me and land and dock a whole army outside my capitol....this version makes it possible to actually catch them comming across, even if they spawn armies out of thier ships (wdf).

ZULU's trait with the odds of the enemy retreating on start I can't really figure out. I don't start with anything.

the AI just depleates single player value increddibly. but with the patches still comming out for bts, I have no doubt they will patch this game into something a bit more fine tuned. The next console installment will be dead on I believe, this was close. but they can go a little bit more in depth I think for us vets, without leaving those new too far behind. I hope they do.:king:

PS 1 NUKE???? COME onnnnn

PSS quick attack and quick defense is a must...watching those animations is funny and all but late game is rediculous. and a move all option would be great too...make it R3 and boom the whole stack goes >D

19. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Love:

Fun and engaging gameplay.
    Minimal micromanagement.
    Armies.
    Excellent controlles.

No love:

Diplomacy is overly nerfed. No trade, alliances, vassals and such.
    Way too few options in setting up a singleplayer game.
    Terrible AI in warfare.
    Deity is not hard enough.

20. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

Love Most of the game, already been discussed so cba to say again.

Hate: a lot of the above,( diplomacy, treaties etc.) but most of all HAVING WW2 BOMBERS IN THE YEAR 2050? What happened to the jet engine???