So who got you in to civ4?

kristopherb

Protective/Charismatic
Been playing ever since I got Civ 1 back in 1991 or 1992. (And other Sid Meier games before then, such as the original Pirates! on my trusty old Commodore 64.)

:lol:
Me 2. Old school :cool:

My sisters friend for getting her into civ2, that got me into civ2, so here i am today with civ4! :D

Played Civ 1 back aroud 1991. Played civ 2 around 1996, Civ 3 was around 2000ish

My husband got me into it -- well, sort of. He plays it all the time, and at some point when the computer was free and I didn't feel like playing Neverwinter Nights I decided "well, maybe I'll just go through the tutorial to see what it's all about". Hooked!

civ 2 was the game that got me hooked on the playstation 1 and i've been hook since.

I have got my one year old son hooked on civ he just stairs at it for ages lol

Oh, by the way, if you like the civ series, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri was a very simliar game, sorta like civ 2.5. While it has Sid's name on it, Brian Reynolds was the chief designer, as he was for Civ 2 as well. I think it was the first game ever made under the Firaxis name.

SMAC is considered by many to be the best game of the Civilization series.

Civ 3, and before that Civ 2, and before it Civ 1. :)

I've been playing Civ since Civ I, when my first computer had the game as part of the package. If it wasn't for that, I may never of played the game.

I bought Civ II for the PS1 many years back, and my dad and I both loved playing it. Then I bought this game for my dad because he loved Civ II so much. After he had been play for months I decided to try it myself. Now I've got both Civ IV and Warlords and probably play it more than he does, but it's close. ;)

Several years ago, my parents' old hippie friend Fred came to live on our couch for a few months. Fred always smelled like weed and body odor, as all old hippies should. Fred spent his days on the couch smoking weed, not showering, and reading the Civ3 manual like it was his bible. Fred spent his nights sitting at my father's computer playing Civ3. I thought Fred was crazy because he was always debating with himself - out loud - whether to mine the cows or farm the cows. It never made much sense, but at some point, probably after spending too much time on the couch with Fred's weed-smoking, I found myself intrigued. I began to experiment with Civ3, and by the time Fred left, I was hooked. I had to go out and buy myself a copy, and then I moved on to stronger stuff like PTW, and Conquests.

I haven't seen Fred since, but of course I bought Civ4 the day after it came out. I probably got home around 8pm, and about an hour later realized that my graphics card couldn't handle Civ4's graphics. I went back to the store and got there just while they were closing. I talked my way in, probably sounding like a junkie desperate for a fix. I spent another hundred bucks on a new graphics card, got home, and spent about three more hours installing the new card. (I'm no maven but I manage... in three hours.) I then played "It's All About The Pentiums", which I play whenever I pull off any computer task I hadn't thought I could handle, and proceeded to play Civ4 until it was time for work the next morning.

Thanks for giving me a chance to tell that story, kristopherb.

Funny story LucyDuke. lol.

For my story:
My bud. He used to play civ2. I went into his computer room and saw this technology poster hanging next to the computer. He explained its use and the how the game is played. The rest is history. I became a civfanatic before even loading up the game on my own computer. I had always wanted a game like this and couldn't beleive I had missed out on civ1. He stopped playing tho, thru civ3 and civ4. I describe the new ones to him each time they come out. He has little time to play games so he is reluctant to buy a new game. But after civ4 came out he went on and reloaded civ2 to give it a whirl.

civ 2 was the game that got me hooked on the playstation 1 and i've been hook since.

I have got my one year old son hooked on civ he just stairs at it for ages lol

Speaking of the playstation 1 version. Did you ever use the cheat code that gave you cash. You had to rename a city something like "CaSh". I forget exactly. You could rename it back to what it was before if you wanted. But I remember always having a city with that name so I wouldn't forget the code. lol.

Speaking of the playstation 1 version. Did you ever use the cheat code that gave you cash. You had to rename a city something like "CaSh". I forget exactly. You could rename it back to what it was before if you wanted. But I remember always having a city with that name so I wouldn't forget the code. lol.

Yes indeed I did. ;)

It was _CasH (I think) and you had to hold the R1 button or something too when you put in the last letter.

I stumbled into Civ I in 1992, after my first son was born. I was unemployed at the time, doing the Mr. Mom thing, idly pushing the stroller thru the local Egghead Software outlet (remember them?). I couldn't believe such a cool game existed. Suddenly I had something to do during my kid's nap time! Fun fun fun.
I totally missed Civ II and Civ III. I was back to work and had no time. Then I noticed at work that our new OS (Linux) had a rip-off version of Civ III as freeware. That got me jonesing again.
My wife and kids discovered my not-so-hidden longing, and got me Civ IV for Father's day last year. Boy, have they been regretting it ever since! "Honey, will you take out the trash? Honey? Boys, where's your father?" "Where do you think, mom? He's playing Civ IV!"

In the summer of '95 I rented Sim City for the SNES I had recently got. My mom and I got hooked making a co-op city. We rented it like 6-8 times in a row playing all day during my summer break. Finally, we decided to buy a copy and couldn't find one. That's when we ran across a place called "Just Games" in my old town. It was locally owned and we talked to the owner for like an hour about different games for different systems.
Over time, I got to know the guy real well and he used to recommend games for me to try out and he was usually spot on. Then it happened. He told me about Civilization I - 2 months before it came out on the SNES. That was a long 2 months. But finally it came... I spent 50 bucks on a SNES game... that seems weird to me now.

Anyways, the following couple days I was staying up all night to play that my mom took it away from me. I hadn't been able to wake up in the morning after about 30 mins of sleep as she usually came in to wake me up with Civ going and me asleep in front of the TV with the controller in my hand. Back when turns took sooooo long I would fall aslee waiting for the "bla-dada-dink" Hehe.
Then Christmas break came and I got my game back. My mom wanted to see what the big deal was so we started a new game together. For the following couple months me and my mom were in front of the game whenever we could be and we would take turns sleeping and pick up where the other left off. Many times my brother came home to one of us passed out and the other playing away. That poor SNES, if playstation wouldn't have came with Civ 2 I would have killed it. I actually went through 2 playstations before I picked up the PC copy.

Brian, the owner of the shop did me a huge favor IMO, because I would have missed out on Civ 1 without him. Another friend of mine ran across Civ 2 for the playstation some time later and tried telling me about 'this cool new game' he found. But I had already been playing it for years. :p What is funny is I had told him about it before because I knew he liked strategy games and he was like "Eh, it probably isn't something I would like." :lol:

we would take turns sleeping and pick up where the other left off.

Ah, this reminds me of the good old days of Final Fantasy marathons. I don't know whether it's the mark of a good game or a hopelessly obsessed fanbase... ;)

BTW, your signature is one of my all-time favorites. :goodjob:

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Top Bottom